Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Default Gibson Guitar Factory tour in Memphis

We took a road trip over Labor Day weekend and ended up spending a fair amount of time in Memphis. We absolutely had to go on the Gibson Factory tour while we were there.

A Scotty Moore special ES-295 autographed by Scotty himself. A cool $8,300!

Scotty's autograph.

The factory store was unreal. My son and I were literally two kids in a very expensive candy shop!!!

Some beauties -- incredible, beautiful, expensive guitars.

CONTINUED
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

Official Van Halen Store link: http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/B60

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST

More beautiful guitars.

I was really surprised to see two Kramers in the store. I asked and was told Gibson bought Kramer but was shuttering the brand. They had a Pacer and Beretta, the latter only $200 which I would've bought for 5150 if the pickup wasn't angled.

More kids in the candy store.

CONTINUED

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

The regular V you just can't play without a strap, it just keeps sliding off your leg, so my son resorted to holding it like this.

But the Reverse V actually sits on your leg perfectly and puts the neck at pretty much the perfect angle -- actually a really sweet guitar.

You could buy an excellent used car or two with this one...

CONTINUED

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

The actual factory tour. You were not allowed to take any photos or video, but I am not one to follow rules a lot of the time. All of these photos were taken surreptitiously, but let the drooling begin.

Yep, you had to wear protective goggles.

A slew of unfinished 335s and 135s.

Two completely raw necks.

So. Damn. Many. Guitars.

When we got back to the shop after the tour, my son cranked out this sweet blues riff on an incredible Epiphone 12-string.

KBD3

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts

I can't see gibson canning Kramer. Not after the money they just dumped into it with the new models..... If they were to sell Kramer I hope to hell Fender would buy them!

Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. That's great that they have guitars that you're actually allowed to touch!

And if Fender bought Kramer, we could get a $25,000 5150 replica!

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:28 AM
    Liked 152 Times in 87 Posts

Great pics!! Love to get to check out one of the Gibson factories in Nashville or Memphis!! Makes me treasure my Pauls & Explorer..!
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,338 Times in 3,184 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I got to tour it when I picked up my les paul custom. It really is the Mecca for any guitar nut.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:46 AM
    Liked 728 Times in 345 Posts

I got to take that tour a few years ago. It was pretty cool. It was right after Gibson acquired Valley Arts Guitars from Samick, so they had some of those in the store at that time.

A couple cool points on the tour was seeing how the binding was applied and held onto the guitars with basically rags tied across the guitar. The tour guide told us that there were a couple women that have worked there forever that trim out the binding, and that they do every guitar that leaves the factory.

At the time I went, they were only producing ES series guitars out of Memphis. Don't know if this is still the case, but it was a good tour.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

I dragged my mother-in-law, my wife and my dad on that tour but they enjoyed it too...Memphis is great in general. If you didn't go you MUST take a whole day and tour the National Civil Rights Museum at the site of the Lorraine Hotel...it is a huge museum and it is very moving...

Next time I go back I'll go to the Nashville plant where they make the solid body guitars (my sister and a friend of mine from high school live in Nashville and my wife goes there on business occasionally)...there were a few solid bodies made at that factory, but it was specifically the Don Felder EDS-1275 double neck and the standard EDS-1275. I got to play a Don Felder model that was on display right at the front of the retail store...I didn't have a capo or a tuner to help me play "Hotel California" but I did play a mish-mash of both Felder and Walsh's solos from the 1977 live video.

We stayed at The Peabody, but there are lots of great hotels near Beale St. We've been there twice and did Graceland twice...the Stax Museum and the Sun Studios/Memphis Recording Service tour was very cool too. Saw a show at the Hi-Tone Cafe which was great and checked out some obscure Big Star related sites and record shops. Glad to see you had a great trip!
    Last edited by garbeaj; 09.06.14 at 11:12 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by evh5150vanhalen View Post
    I can't see gibson canning Kramer. Not after the money they just dumped into it with the new models..... If they were to sell Kramer I hope to hell Fender would buy them!
    Gibson has owned the Kramer brand for quite a while now, but the headstock shapes are way off...not one of their headstock shapes on any of their models is accurate to any of the original guitars.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:46 AM
    Liked 728 Times in 345 Posts

Do they still do the duck parade at The Peabody? Speaking of ducks, there is a tour of Memphis and Mud Island on a WWII landing craft called a Duck. The tour starts at the Ball Park downtown, and goes into the River to Mud Island. You get to take the under bridge tram back downtown. Pretty cool.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Went through Memphis last year. Totally spaced that Gibson had a factory there... Pretty cool...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Do they still do the duck parade at The Peabody? Speaking of ducks, there is a tour of Memphis and Mud Island on a WWII landing craft called a Duck. The tour starts at the Ball Park downtown, and goes into the River to Mud Island. You get to take the under bridge tram back downtown. Pretty cool.
    Yep...the ducks are still going! It's pretty fun for little kids and my 75 year old mother-in-law got a big kick out of it too The Peabody is a beautiful hotel and an awesome location. I haven't done that boat tour, but I'll check it out next time!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:47 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts

Great pics! Thanks of sharing Kevin