Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.27.16 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Eddie Trunk Podcast ~ Michael Anthony /9/3/2014

Hey guys, there's a podcast up on Eddie Trunk's website that's dated back a few days ago. Personally, I hadn't heard this interview with Michael as of yet and wanted to share this. Mike talks about Van Halen and his current status with Sammy. Interesting stuff! 👍🎸

ET- Michael Anthony http://www.PodcastOne.com/pg/jsp/pro...bT_L3A.twitter
    Bono Vox: Poetic, Political, extremely generous and just a tiny bit egomaniacal.

"You know twenty-five years ago, Tony Soprano was driving around Jersey in his iroc-Z just blasting the Van Halen"-David Lee Roth

"Will there be a Van Halen reunion? “I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque” -David Lee Roth

"This band is three quarters original, one quarter inevitable" -David Lee Roth~2007

"“We had a lot of fun on the tour – Dave was a blast. And next time we go out, we’re going to have some new stuff, too. I’m looking forward to getting on it. I’ve got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff… Actually, next week or the week after, Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we’ll give Dave a call and see what he’s up to.” - Edward Van Halen ~ 2009

~Congratulations to 2009 World Series Champions the New York Yankees~

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:03 AM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Thanks, I'll listen in a minute. What struck me is that Michael Anthony talks about, or is asked about, Van Halen in every interview I see, but I never see the same people who slam Sammy every single time for doing the same thing criticize Mike. Is MA trying to make sure people remember he was in Van Halen? Is he "jealous" like Sammy? Is he trying to constantly "get back in the band" like Sammy? Such a double standard. Nope, Mike's a class act while Sammy is a jealous petty guy who won't let things go. Ridiculous.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 7,892 Times in 4,616 Posts

Premium Member

Once again, at the risk of Ed being butt hurt, Al has to toe the line.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Thanks, I'll listen in a minute. What struck me is that Michael Anthony talks about, or is asked about, Van Halen in every interview I see, but I never see the same people who slam Sammy every single time for doing the same thing criticize Mike. Is MA trying to make sure people remember he was in Van Halen? Is he "jealous" like Sammy? Is he trying to constantly "get back in the band" like Sammy? Such a double standard. Nope, Mike's a class act while Sammy is a jealous petty guy who won't let things go. Ridiculous.
    That is because Spammy talks shit and Mike doesn't. As the saying goes, Mike is a class act.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:03 AM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Wow.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Wow.
    yeah, wow

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

The argument of "flying the Van Halen flag" doesn't work. And this is the first I heard that Eddie called Mike and told him not to be part of "that circus". He was backed into a corner and told not to do it...and he decided to do it anyway. That's it. It wasn't flying the flag. He wanted to get out and play...and that's fine, but he knows that it was going to piss Eddie off...and that's where it went south..from that point forward.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:09 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

from what I understand he was already being treated like a second rate citizen by ed when 02 rolled around. Look at the III period: Mike didn't play on the majority of that record, his solo got taken away, he lost out on alot fo the songwriting money he was getting (right or wrong) a few years prior and he had NO say so in anything the band did.

so what's he supposed to do? sit back and do nothing while Ed and Al do nothing or go out and play with a guy who at least seems to genuinely enjoy you as a human being?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

I just have to say this

Sammy, this is how you share memories of the good and bad of the band. Very good interview and I thought Mike did a good job talking about bad periods of the band.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

W/O U, WIL, & HFT
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:52 AM
    Liked 433 Times in 167 Posts

Donor

One thing I took away from that interview that I was surprised is Mikey hasn't talked to Ed or Al since the end of the '04 tour. Mikey has moved on and just wants to have fun.
    Rock the Red!!!

"Give Doc the shotgun. They're less apt to get nervy if he's on the street howitzer."

"Dying ain't much of a living, boy."

Save a Terrapin - Fear a Turtle

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:54 AM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
    One thing I took away from that interview that I was surprised is Mikey hasn't talked to Ed or Al since the end of the '04 tour. Mikey has moved on and just wants to have fun.
    Ya, I'd say he's moved on. However, I also imagine there is a certain amount of if he called, it would be awkward, he'd be choked at Ed for the piss poor treatment Ed gave him of his legacy w/ the band...so why put yourself in that spot?
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

I wonder what other bands have asked Mike to play in their band?
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buschman View Post
    why would he call? he was completely fucked over by them. if anyone should call it should be the VH bros.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 7,892 Times in 4,616 Posts

Premium Member

The loyalty that Ed demands, is never given in return.

It's fair to assume that Mike sealed his fate in 2002, but that just goes to show how irrational EVH was/is.

Hypocrite, in the dictionary, should have a picture of EVH next to it, as that's been his biggest sin, imo, in regards to the band.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bono Vox View Post
    Hey guys, there's a podcast up on Eddie Trunk's website that's dated back a few days ago. Personally, I hadn't heard this interview with Michael as of yet and wanted to share this. Mike talks about Van Halen and his current status with Sammy. Interesting stuff! 👍🎸

ET- Michael Anthony http://www.PodcastOne.com/pg/jsp/pro...bT_L3A.twitter
    Hey man, thanks for posting that! In short: I enjoyed the hell out of that interview. MA is a great dude I hope to see the fences mended some day if not for a reunion at least to end their days as true friends/brothers.

-----

Now here's the long response.

I almost got a tear in my eye for Mike towards the end of the main VH discussion. Not because his life is sad, the guy has it great but because he deserves better. Whether or not EVH wants to play with Wolf MA deserves to be treated as a friend and brother for all he did and was a part of with VH.

I love VH version 4, I enjoyed some Hagar and Gary era in various degrees (mostly becuase it was still Ed, Al and MA)but to me at the end of the day VH = the original 4.

I've been in many bands and played with so many personality types and work ethics over 30 some years. I understand Ed on many levels with some of the band strife stuff. I don't agree or approve of some of the moves and choices the VH's have made but I understand how things can go when you have problems with a bandmate.

Things Ed get's slaughtered for with bandmate issues I can relate to him somewhat and understand some of what goes into those hurt feelings and all that...Still MA was caught in the crossfire really. It's very interesting to hear direct from MA that he was given and ultimatum by the VH's about playing with Sam and MA chose to play with him anyway and told them that.

In a way he sealed his own fate and I think because he didn't buckle the VH's took that as a slap in the face, betrayal, disrespect. EVH likely was hurt by MA's choice. That kinda made sense in the moment as the falling out and all that against Hagar was still fresh or strong with Ed...but man it's beyond time to let that go and extend some respect and love to MA.

Ed and Al are immigrants. Their family and Ed's relationship with Al was very tight. Coming from a family of immigrants I understand that type of thing and how their can be an insular attitude towards anything outside of it and especially towards anyone who has wronged the "family". It can be intense and also unreasonable. Being in a band can be a very intimate thing. Being the main musical song writer and sharing your ideas with others is an extremely intimate thing. When things go bad it's much deeper than some make it out to be.

Sam was a journeyman musician and had falling outs and multiple musical partners in his journey before joining VH. I think Sam and the VH's simply are wired very differently in that regard. The feelings the VH's had may seem unreasonable but I think it's just how they think. That may also be a part of why Wolfie is in the band and helped motivate Ed so much. Here's someone he can trust, someone who will always have his back whom he loves. That's not all there is to it all but I do think that is part of the mentality, right or wrong.

Ed needs to realize that MA was always in his corner and dealt with a lot more than he should have. Going out to play with Sam when VH was in a dark long hiatus is not something to be shunned forever for. Now that the light has cleared some in their lives they should bite the bullet, suck it up and not only apologize to MA but give him the respect he deserves as someone who helped VH become mighty....even if MA's talent wasn't the main catalyst for the bands genius his talents and presence worked so beautifully with them.

Ed and AL owe Mike their gratitude and need to thank God, their lucky stars or whatever that MA was introduced into their lives. He helped make their band magic and was a rock through a lot of dysfunction that would have sent the majority of people running long before he was "let go". I really don't think MA stuck around for it all becuase of the "gravy train" of Ed's talent. I think he's a loyal good guy who loved the music, enjoyed his years with the brothers and all they created. Giving Mike an ultimatum, thought it may makes sense in EVH's mind at the time was totally unfair to Mike. I can underrated how EVH didn't want MA associating with Sam when their falling out was still eating at him but MA's choice to play with SH wasn't a fuck you to the VH's.

It may have made sense to be pissed at MA for the choice in the heat of the moment but man....let it go Ed. Give Mike a call and mend that fence. Lighten your heart, and his by doing the right thing and letting the hurt and all that go.

It's more complex with Sam and a majority of loyal fans at this site feel very differently about SH and that era than I so I won't get into it much. I feel the book and comments Sam have made...well let's just say the way the VH's are wired it's like gas on a fire. Maybe to others it seems SH was in the right and it's not a big deal that he says and does what he does but all that stuff goes against the VH's grain. Also Sam seems more like a energetic extrovert that has to keep moving on to the next thing and EVH seems more like a contemplative introvert who digs in his roots. DLR is an extrovert too but I think he understands the brothers mentality much more than SH though it still likely drives him nuts at times. That's all I'll say on the SH element but MA needs to have an olive branch extended to him.

I hope to see it happen. Not just because as an old fan I would love to see them work together...really I would just like to see those guys end their days someday as friends with hard feelings left behind them and celebrating what they achieved together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]