Register

Thread: to occupy time

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all, but esp WACF
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dunno if this was posted before. Sorry if it was.

Van Halen
    Concert Review, Live Photos, and Top 10 Underrated Songs

In Concert: Van Halen, Fleet Center, Boston, May 21, 1998

Sometime over the past twenty years Van Halen became a household name. How the enduring band that ushered in a new era of hard rock has managed to gain both critical acclaim and immense worldwide popularity is a subject of debate, one fiercely slung out along the battlelines of Roth versus Hagar, guitar Eddie versus keyboard Eddie, rock versus pop, and other unrevealing dichotomies.
    Entering the fray is new lead vocalist Gary Cherone, former frontman for the Boston funk rock band Extreme, who had their moment in the public spotlight with 1991's number one hit "More Than Words," which still gets airplay.
    Returning to his hometown brought out the best in Cherone at Van Halen's recent performance at the 20,000 seat Fleet Center. Opening with the flange-infected, chugging "Unchained"--a song the band reportedly hasn't performed live in more than ten years--Cherone threw himself into the chorus' ironic "Nothing stays the same" with mounting aplomb, twirling the microphone stand around his waist and over his back. Cherone seemed even more confident, appropriately, with the new single "Without You," letting his voice rise and fall whimsically, reminiscent of his Extreme days. As the night advanced and Van Halen covered material ranging from 1979's "Dance the Night Away" to 1991's "Right Now," Cherone relaxed more and more into the role of Van Halen's vocalist, jumping about the stage, throwing his arms around Eddie, Alex, and Michael, and obviously having a grand time of the whole thing.
    And so was everyone else. Eddie was in great form, reproducing his old, familiar solos nearly perfectly, and throwing licks and fills into the new material with abandon. Hearing him open his guitar solo with a superb rendition of the long-lost "Cathedral" was tear-jerk territory, and this was supplanted immediately by the maniacal shredding of a change-up form of "Eruption." He smiled broadly when launching into the bombshell crunch of "Somebody Get Me a Doctor," and to much of the crowd's surprise, Michael Anthony assumed lead vocal duties, doing great justice to the song's primal screams. Anthony would take the helm a few more times throughout the night, providing a sense of exhilarating surprise one rarely sees with a band this established. Even Alex's extended drum solo--something you hardly see in performance anymore--proved him still one of rock's best.
    It's no coincidence that Van Halen's encore consisted of three songs, one from each of the band's three incarnations. Though no one can predict what Van Halen will sound like next, their live show proved that they're adamant about preserving their past, and with Cherone becoming comfortable about adding his own strengths to the mix, we should be hearing some great things from Van Halen as the millenium rolls over.

Live shots

The Top 10 Underrated Van Halen Songs

Any band as popular and prolific as Van Halen has a diverse, opinionated audience; witness the all-over-the-map reaction to the Greatest Hits album. I've been listening to Van Halen since the early 80's, and I've been an Eddie disciple for about half that time (ever since I picked up a guitar). One thing I've noticed over the years is that even die-hard fans many times won't recognize a song I'll talk about or play. "What album's that on?" they ask, confused. These are some of the best-written Van Halen songs, but they've been forgotten amidst the megahits like "Jump" and "Right Now." So here they are, in no particular order (unreleased/rare songs not included); how many do you recognize?

Black and Blue (OU812). What a sleazy song it is, what with the slinky octave-doubled guitar and Sammy's animal screams. But it's a superb piece of songwriting, with great dynamics and a stand-alone solo that actually works on its own.
    In 'N' Out (For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge). A strange yet likable solo break midway through etches this song out of the overall boring tenor of the rest of the album. Add the Bad Company-inspired recurring guitar motif and you have one of the few 90's winners.
    Summer Nights (5150). Finally, a complex rhythm guitar arrangement that flows convincingly from one moment to the next. A screaming solo along with great vocal harmonies make this one of the best early Hagar-era tunes.
    So This Is Love? (Fair Warning). Anthony's bopping bass sets the tone from the start in this rock/pop gem. An inventive guitar arrangement, inspired vocals from Roth, and one of Eddie's most economically soaring solos.
    Drop Dead Legs (1984). An absolutely killer guitar riff, one that no one on Earth can perform except Eddie himself. Roth manages great huskiness, and Alex tosses in amazing drum fills. One of Van Halen's funky-est songs.
    In A Simple Rhyme (Women and Children First). A beautifully schizophrenic song, combining driving power rock with arpeggiated harmony softnesses. Those who deny Roth's tender side need to listen to this one.
    Secrets (Diver Down). A soft, swaying composition with delicate work by Eddie and one of Roth's rare sensitive performances. The first time you hear this one you'll be amazed that Van Halen is capable of such charm.
    Intro to Women In Love... (Van Halen II). I'm not fond of the song itself, but the introduction is a stunning piece of music. Technically brilliant and cosmically breathtaking at once, it's a great work all its own.
    Feel Your Love Tonight (Van Halen). So what if Eddie hit a wrong chord and left in on tape? He lays down one of the most coherent, energetic solos of his career and innovates what a rhythm guitar could do--all in less than four minutes. A marvelously crafted song.
    Little Guitars (Diver Down). Creative, self-conscious lyrics more than make up for Roth's slightly strained vocals. Eddie pioneers again, popularizing if not altogether inventing the chicken-pick rhythm guitar style showcased here, one that would be (unsuccessfully) copied again and again. Smart, mesmerizing work.

the link if ya wanna go to the site http://www.rach.com/vh/
    The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The optimist says it's half full. The pragmatist says its liquid contents are at 50% capacity. The ironist says its half full of air. The plumber says the cup must be leaking. George Carlin says the cup is too big. The Starbucks employee says its so you have room for cream. The conspiracy theorist says aliens took the other half. The baseball player says his cup is definitely full. MacGuyver says he can build a powerful explosive with it. The psychoanalyst says the cup is your mother. The punk sitting next to you also says the cup is your mother. The romance novelist says the cup is a willing receptacle to the wild gushing torrents of pure passion from the hard chiseled urn. The zen master says There is no cup. Pamela Anderson says her cups are definitely full. Me? Refill!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all, but esp WACF
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen veers into Houston
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by Jeremy Hart
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember it clearly: my family had just moved to Fort Hood, and I was introduced to all kinds of new music -- stuff like Genesis, Heart, and even the Fat Boys. I used to wake up early on Sunday mornings just to tape all the cool songs in the countdown. One morning, out of nowhere, I heard this completely brilliant song, and raced frantically to tape it, but the announcer didn't say who it was, so I resolved to track it down. After long weeks of searching with no luck, a friend of mine brought a tape over to play, and WHAM! -- there was the song: "Love Walks In," by Van Halen. That was how I, an uncultured Army brat who had led a life of musical deprivation, first heard Eddie Van Halen's screaming guitar, Alex Van Halen's manic drums, Mike Anthony's throbbing bass, and Sammy Hagar's bellowing voice.
    Van Halen. The first rock band I had ever heard. That probably explains why, when I went to see them live this past weekend, I stood staring dumbly for the first half-hour of the concert. The band was in top form, despite the ever-present accusations that the real Van Halen died when David Lee Roth left, and that the band should be called "Van Hagar." I myself can't judge one way or the other: I like 'em both.

The show started with six or so songs from their opening act, a band from the Land Down Under called Baby Animals. Now, I had been told that Alice in Chains was going to kick off the show, and had been looking forward to it, so I attempted to sulk through the Animals' guitar-laden intro, but to no avail. My foot started tapping about halfway through the first song, and I had decided by the third song that I liked these three guys and a girl. I wasn't the only one, either -- the crowd started out booing vigorously, but ended up cheering and clapping enthusiastically.

Then Van Halen took the stage. The boys played surprisingly few old songs: only 2 each from Van Halen, 1984, 5150, and even their last album, OU812, and maybe one or two songs from Van Halen II, Diver Down, Women and Children First, and Fair Warning. This time the spotlight was definitely on For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, their latest album in a long line of winners.

Alex Van Halen did several lengthy drum solos, proving once more that he's one of the best there is. Looking barely tired, he kept right on going when the rest of the band came back on to do "Panama." After a few more songs, all but Sammy left the stage. The blond-haired veteran picked up his acoustic guitar for a hold-up-your-lighter version of "Give To Live," another from his solo career.

Finally, up came the part I'd been waiting for: Eddie. He came onstage grinning, with that goofy smile that's made him famous, and proceeded to wail. My jaw dropped, and stayed there, while he played the heart-wrenchingly sweet "316" (named for the day his daughter was born), and pieces of "Eruption" and "Cathedral," along with parts of several other solos. I was barely aware of the start of the next song.

Overall, the show was great, with only one complaint: the stage. I think it was supposed to look like the front of a car (I figured it out when the platform Alex was drumming on rose nearly twenty feet during his solo), but I couldn't see it worth a damn from the side. I've never been able to figure out why so many bands make their stages one-sided. If I couldn't see all of it, the poor fans behind the stage probably couldn't even see past the amps! The lighting was really good, though, changing colors for different songs and making shadowy pinwheel and fan shapes across the crowd below. The fireworks at the end were pretty impressive, if a bit close (I could picture a stray spark landing on Sammy Hagar's frizzed out mop of hair at a bad moment).

All in all, I had a great time. The music was awesome, the fans were great, and the show was good. These guys are true showmen. They joked and laughed with one another and the crowd all night, and whenever someone in the audience threw something onstage, Sammy incorporated it -- wearing it, in most instances. Despite the joking around, however, the music was serious -- a perfect balance. Even though they've come a long way from the days of Roth's flying judo gymnastics, Van Halen is still one of the best of the pack.

(The Rice Thresher, Volume 79 No. 19, February 7, 1992)

http://www.spacecityrock.com/stories/vanhalen.html
    The pessimist says the cup is half empty. The optimist says it's half full. The pragmatist says its liquid contents are at 50% capacity. The ironist says its half full of air. The plumber says the cup must be leaking. George Carlin says the cup is too big. The Starbucks employee says its so you have room for cream. The conspiracy theorist says aliens took the other half. The baseball player says his cup is definitely full. MacGuyver says he can build a powerful explosive with it. The psychoanalyst says the cup is your mother. The punk sitting next to you also says the cup is your mother. The romance novelist says the cup is a willing receptacle to the wild gushing torrents of pure passion from the hard chiseled urn. The zen master says There is no cup. Pamela Anderson says her cups are definitely full. Me? Refill!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all, but esp WACF
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen
    Posted by Adam Curry, 11/11/01 at 11:03:21 AM.
    Although we're smaller than Rohde Island, Holland has produced some world class musical talent over the years. The van Halen brothers Alex and Eddie are another prime example.

Hair

First time I met any of the band was when I was hosting CountDown in 1984. Van Halen were on top of the world with 'Jump' and Michael and Alex were in Amsterdam for a few days and came on the show.

In Holland we have an expression: 'Een tik van de molen gehad'. Which roughtly translates to 'He got wacked by a windmill", which pretty much describes Alex. He's definitely a bit 'wacked'. But not in a bad way. He had just changed his 'look' to a crew-cut', which was very un-rock star like for the early eighties. Of course I was sporting my Farrah Coiffe and once the conversation turned to Alex's new doo, he produced the largest pair of shears I'd ever seen in my life and started cutting my golden locks. Surely you can imagine the horror.

Naturally it was a goof, but I'll never forget the evil gleam in his eyes, like he was pissed he cut his own hair off.

Cali Gals

It wasn't but a few months after that encounter that David Lee Roth started to make some solo moves. Our tv show went on a 2 week tour of NY, LA and Houston to do several big name interviews and we hooked up with Diamond Dave at his production bungalow in Hollywood. It was exactly like one of those bungalows superstar actors or directors get when they're on a studio lot shooting a feature. Which is kind of the scenario David Lee Roth was in. He showed me the story boards for this really 'intricate' video (Hey it was the 80's!) which was the basic storyline for 'California Girls'.

The vibe at the bungalow was totally spinal tap, only it was LA chic: Hot Rods parked haphazardly near the front door, a bodyguard or two posing near the kidneyshaped pool...unfortunately there weren't any bodacious babes. Quite a dissapointment

I distinctly remember Dave being very uptight about VH during our chat though. Dave was somewhat frustrated, and remembering Alex's hair move, I wondered if the rest of the band wanted to move away from the longhaired glam look. Of course Diamond dave had to make a decision pretty soon I figured, judging from his receeding hairline.

Can't Drive 55

About a year later and we've skipped over the Diamond Dave Drama 'cause Sammy Hagar is now in the band. I was still hosting music shows in Holland when he came in to promte the VH wold tour. This was just about the time I was considering moving to the States to work for MTV. I told him about my plans and he was tremendously supportive, quick to tell me that from what he'd seen on the channel I could certainly do well. Looking back, I'm not sure if that was a compliment ...

Rock 'n Jock

I only met Eddie once. He was with wife Valerie at the annual MTV Rock 'n Jock softball game in LA. We were both expecting dads at the time and we rapped about dialated cervixes for a bit. We didn't get much chance to hang out though, because Sam Kinison was at the game as well and drove his white Rolls Royce with about 4 bikini clad babes onto the field and held up the game for a while. I miss Sam. We need colourful people in showbusiness, otherwise its so corporate and boring!

To my knowledge the band is pretty much on hold with everthing now that Eddie is recovering from mouth cancer. I still have a feeling that these guys will pull it together for one last mega-tour. Including all lead singers. Fingers Crossed!

http://mtv.curry.com/stories/storyReader$25

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All of them pretty much
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> 316" (named for the day his daughter was born), <hr></blockquote>
    Eddie didnt have a daughter he had wolfie, a boy!
    This is home, this is Mean Street!<br /><br /><b><br />Then one year you find ten years have gotten behind, no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time</b><br /><br />"Everyone knows that Van Halen with Roth is the only real Van Halen."- Mike Tramp<br /><br /><a href="http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001366&p=66#00 1635" target="_blank"> OBEY THE DFK!!</a>

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Thanks for spending the time to post those cloudiesky, those are great! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. I was at that '98 concert in Boston and thought that the band played fantastic together. Gary was certainly ready for this show.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com