Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:09 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

Default Building a Shark

So, a few months ago I found a cheap Epi Explorer and decided that I will use that for my Shark. Knowing the the pickup cavity is wrong and it would annoy the hell out of me, I had a luither fill the hole & route another one like the original Ibby Destroyer. I got it back today & I think it looks pretty good. I still need to round off some of the cuts and I'll do that this week, but here it is....

Before the new cavity...

Hopefully, Ill start the paint this week (still deciding whether to use white or silver) but it should be rocking out soon.

Got to throw out some huge thanks to RogueNT who helped me out with the Turnbuckles. You guys have no idea how hard the correct ones are to find here. I searched for about 8 months & couldn't find the right ones. Brain stepped up and went beyond the call of duty to help out a VH brother. Thank you again my friend.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Watching this thread. I always dug the shark.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

This was the result I got doing mine with Dupli-Color paint: Silver Frost Mist and Barcelona Red.

KBD3
    Last edited by Kevin Dodds; 09.04.14 at 06:05 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    This was the result I got doing mine with Dupli-Color paint: Silver Frost Mist and Barcelona Red.

KBD3
    That looks awesome Kevin. Great job dude.

Good luck with your build Dutchie!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post

KBD3
    I've been trying to find those colors here, but can't seem to be able to find them. I'll keep looking though. I might get in contact with the Dulpi-color people and see if they can recommend the closes matching colors. I did do a little test spray with Rust-oleum paint today. I used Metallic Aluminum & Colonial Red and it looks ok, but not quite right. I'll wait too see it in sum light tomorrow. the Aluminum was kind of a pain in the ass to spray too. I'll post some photos shortly.

I was going to do the guitar white instead of silver, but I like the silver better. I might do other Shark in white next year. I think the original Shark is white, not silver, but like I said, I like the silver better.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

Here are a couple of photos of the test colors. I had a weird reaction with one side of the block I painted (the block is the cutout of the Epiphone I'm using). Yesterday, I sprayed a coat of white primer (Rust-olium) on half the block as I wanted to see if there was a difference of spraying the silver on a white background or black background. When I sprayed on the white side today, weird little spiderwebs appeared. They just popped up like a special effect in a movie. It looked kind of cool when it happened. It only did it on a small part of the block, but I'm not sure why it happened.

Here is a picture with the Red on. It doesn't look to bad, but as I said, I'll wait until tomorrow in the sun light or natural light to check again. I'll also hit it with some .0000 steelwool too to see if that makes a difference too.

The silver spat a little, which you can see if you zone in a bit, but that's probably because I should of shook the can a bit more and it was quite cool here today.
    Last edited by Dutchie5150; 09.05.14 at 04:27 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

I did a few paint tests for the Shark recently and I think I've found the colors I'm going to use. Shanghai Red and Platinum Silver, both Dupli-color.

These photos were taken about 10 minutes after the last coat of red 9 (no flash on camera). I still need to see what the red looks like after a light sand with .0000 steel wool.

I was a little worried about the red as on the cap of the can looked a little brownish after I bought it home and I was looking for red with a hit of orange, but it has workout well. The cool thing about the silver is depending on the angle you look at it, sometimes it looks silver and other times it looks white (ish).

I was looking to use Barcelona Red and Silver Frost Mist, but typically, you cant get these colors in Australia. I could of had some made up using the paint codes, but at $35 per can, that wasn't going to happen.

So, I'm going to put a coat or two of white on the guitar over the weekend, let it cure for a week, then the silver, let it cure then stripe it up and spray the red. Should be jamming on it in a little over a month.
    Last edited by Dutchie5150; 09.24.14 at 11:42 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Looks great and you now have a cool looking door-stop!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,167 Posts

Question for you Builders:

What are major issues to make sure that the instrument turns out to be highly PLAYABLE when you are done?

Are there any SMART SECRETS to getting great playability??

BTW:

I have so much respect for you guys that do such a professional job on these guitars... Absolutely spectacular!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post

What are major issues to make sure that the instrument turns out to be highly PLAYABLE when you are done?

BTW:

I have so much respect for you guys that do such a professional job on these guitars... Absolutely spectacular!!!!
    I don't have a build on here as of the moment, but my big secret is to have a cracker jack luthier put my stuff together.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    I don't have a build on here as of the moment, but my big secret is to have a cracker jack luthier put my stuff together.
    You are 100% correct!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post

BTW:

Oh man, there are more tips and tricks than can be listed. You just have to build and build to gain experience. Fortunately though, I have done nine on my own, so I am glad to share what I know. I'll list the most important things, so this is by no means an all-inclusive list.

1. Setting up the bridge bolts: Seems obvious, but I've let impatience and the wrong parts be my enemy at times. It doesn’t matter if you are setting up a Floyd or just a regular Gibson bridge, or even a standard Strat bridge: Get the measurements 100% accurate. Take your time. Measure five times. ID the spot of the bolt with a pin and then start out from there. Secondly, NEVER EVER EVER over-drill the width of the bolt!!! I did this repeatedly. This causes the bolts to lean, action to be compromised, and guitar to go out of tune. Whatever the size of the bolt is, bevel it out ONE SIZE SMALLER! A screw bolt will work the rest of the way in and will be extremely tight. For Floyds, you MUST NOT over drill the sunken bolt hole. Just go one size smaller, and some people don’t agree with this method, but I am big on it: sink the bolt the rest of the way with a mallet (or a wash cloth over a hammer). It works for me and makes a lot of sense – the bolts will not go anywhere. As far as the height of the bolts, Floyd sunken bolts should leave maybe 1/3” out, and screw in bolts, just go about half-way in.

2. Setting the nut height correctly: Installing a Floyd locking nut is animal unto itself, but regardless if it’s a locking nut or a regular nut, it has to be set to the correct height. There’s no set measurement as all necks and frets are different. Hopefully, you have a decent guitar around to use as a guide for setting the height. A regular nut versus a Floyd – just completely different things. With a regular nut, if it’s too high, you can sand it down a bit, if it’s too low, either buy another or use some kind of shiv to raise it. A locking Floyd, seriously, a completely different thing – nevertheless, they both have to sit at the correct height or your action will suck and you’ll get buzz on the frets which no one wants.

3. Bolting on the neck: Bridge is set up, nut is set up, so slap the neck on and string it up. In my cases, I’m usually matching a neck from one place with a body from another, so some kind of refitting is occasionally necessary. If the neck cavity is too small, sand the sides of the neck down a bit; if the neck cavity is too big, use balsa wood shivs. Just make sure the neck fits 100% solid into the cavity. The same spiel about bridge bolts goes for neck bolts – they have to be perfect. If the neck has existing bolt holes, fill them with wood putty or wood glue. Each body has to matched up with each neck. Do not over drill the neck bolts – let the grooves of the bolt find the perfect spot. String it up.

4. Assess: So, how did it string up? Are the strings flat on the neck? Are the strings an inch above the fretboard? If they are flat on the neck, raise the bridge. If they are too high, lower the bridge. Once you’ve got the bridge height adjusted for the height of the neck, assess the playability. Almost always, it will be fine near the nut but high near the body, which leads to the most important part of getting to the best playability…

5. Adjusting the angle of the neck: If in fact the strings are too high near the body which they almost always are, you have to raise the angle of the neck at the body which requires putting a shiv in the neck cavity. Guitar picks are always the go to for a neck shiv. You’ve probably got a handful laying around of various widths. I tend to go with balsa wood sometimes because it’s more flexible, a little spongey. Put the shiv right up to the body between the two bolt holes, put the neck back on, re-string it and check it out. Still too high? Add another shiv or use a thicker shiv. Too low? Use a thinner shiv. You will end up repeating this process over and over. Eventually, you’ll adjust the bridge height after you’ve got the neck angle correct. So if the bridge is set up accurately, the nut height is correct, and the angle of the neck is good, your action and playability should be at your fingertips.

All guitars require continued adjustments and ongoing maintenance, especially home-crafted ones. So that’s a quick overview for playability. Intonation and wiring and all that are completely different subjects.

KBD3

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,167 Posts

Thanks Kevin... KILLER INFO!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kevin, with the amount of guitars he has built, could easily qualify as a real, live luthier. If I had the extra time and $$$, I would probably try the self-taught luthier route. Kevin has some great points there.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Kevin has hit on some major things that can cause problems during a build, but I would recommend taking every guitar that you own (whether you built them yourself or bought them) to a competent guitar tech and getting a setup. This should run about $75. This will solve most problems as far as playability is concerned and they can reliably diagnose any problems that are beyond the scope of a standard set up. But more often than not, a simple set up will be all that you need.