Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default Joan Rivers' condition 'remains serious' at NYC hospital, her daughter says

(CNN) -- Comedian Joan Rivers is "resting comfortably" in a New York hospital after apparently suffering cardiac and respiratory arrest during a procedure at a medical clinic Thursday.
    Her daughter, Melissa Rivers, issued a statement on Friday.
    "My mother would be so touched by the tributes and prayers that we have received from around the world," she said. "Her condition remains serious but she is receiving the best treatment and care possible. We ask that you continue to keep her in your thoughts as we pray for her recovery."
    A law enforcement official told CNN that Rivers stopped breathing during throat surgery. Rivers, 81, was taken by ambulance in critical condition to Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City.
    What's known about Joan Rivers' condition Joan Rivers stops breathing in surgery
    The clinic address given by a New York Fire Department spokesman is a building that houses an endoscopy clinic where doctors perform minor procedures on patients. The clinic is a mile away from the hospital.
    Rivers had been scheduled to perform her comedy act at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank, New Jersey, Friday night.
    Michael Lucas, who was in the audience for Rivers' show at New York's Beechman Theater Wednesday night, told CNN that she joked about death.
    "She said, 'You know I'm 81 years old, and I could drop dead at any moment and you would be so lucky because you will have a story to tell your friends for the rest of your life,'" Lucas said. "Then she mimicked people talking about what it was like to see her drop dead on stage."

Rivers was in fine form, he said. "There was no sign (Wednesday) night that she was declining. Her show was over an hour long and she never stumbled or even paused to catch her breath."
    In 2013, Rivers allowed cameras to record a health scare for her and her daughter's reality show, "Joan & Melissa: Joan Knows Best?"
    Rivers said on the show that doctors found a spot on an X-ray after she had a persistent cough.
    "We're just not going to be sad about this," Rivers said during the episode. "We're gonna do jokes and be up until we know. That's how I deal with things. I'm not just gonna sit around the next couple of days and go crazy."
    Rivers has been open about her health issues. She was diagnosed with osteoporosis in 2002 after a fall down some stairs left her with broken bones, and she became an advocate for screenings for women.
    She also admitted to not being as healthy as she could be.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/29/showbi...-hospitalized/
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

crazy...she was just undergoing a minor procedure! but still, at 81 who knows when things can take a drastic turn.

got to give this woman credit, she's crude but she still makes me laugh and I love Fashion Police

you have to see her documentary on Netflix...she really let them show her life and it was surprising how hard she was still working and how difficult it is at times for her. she is a fighter for sure

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Camille Paglia Pens Love Letter to Joan Rivers, 'Iconic Feminist Role Model'

7:00 AM PST 06/12/2013

by Camille Paglia

Joan Rivers is a force of nature. Her caustic voice, relentless energy and driving ambition remain formidable, while her flinty toughness has carried her through bruising career reverses and shocking personal tragedies. Joan is the queen of comebacks and a master of all media, having invaded every format from stand-up, theater, movies and books to talk shows, shopping channels, reality TV, radio and the web.

When I arrived on the public scene after the release of my first book in 1990, I was called "the academic Joan Rivers" -- a title I loved. Yes, Joan influenced me profoundly. Watching her on TV, I learned so much about how to work a crowd or wake up groggy students in my morning classes. With her combative, rapid-fire style, Joan has shown generations of women how to command a stage and make it your own.

In her most recent book, I Hate Everyone… Starting With Me, Joan demonstrates her scathing rejection of humanitarian pieties and political platitudes. Unlike virtually all American comedians these days, she never preaches to the liberal choir for easy laughs. On the contrary, she goes against the grain and overtly offends and repels. She has endeared herself to free-thinking gay men by her pitiless attacks on political correctness. She cracks jokes about Nazis, mass murderers, the handicapped, the homeless, the elderly, starving children, racial minorities, stroke victims and even suicides (despite the suicide of her second husband, Edgar Rosenberg).

Joan's relationship with the entertainment industry remains uneasy: In an era of soft celebrity journalism, she treats stars with an impish mockery that borders on cruelty, as when she dogged Elizabeth Taylor and Kirstie Alley about their weight. Her feuds (as with her former benefactor, Johnny Carson) are infamous. But ever since Greco-Roman times, true satire stings and bites. Joan is just as mean about herself, admitting her sexual inferiority complex and countless plastic surgeries ("I've undergone more reconstruction than Baghdad").

Born in Brooklyn and raised in Westchester County, Joan Alexandra Molinsky graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Barnard College in 1954. She bounced around in minor advertising and fashion jobs until she discovered her vocation as a comic in Greenwich Village coffeehouses during the early 1960s.

After World War II, it was Jewish comedians -- Lenny Bruce and Mort Sahl -- who transformed stand-up comedy into social commentary, a legacy of Jewish political activism in the unionization and civil rights movements. Before that, stand-up on the vaudeville circuit was just a string of harmless gags. Bruce also had a beatnik edginess, which he uncomfortably turned against the audience, as in avant-garde theater.

In the 1950s, the only woman daring to do stand-up was Phyllis Diller, who dressed like a clown in a fright wig to erase any hint of sex appeal but whose body language was as coolly contained as her mentor Bob Hope's. Joan Rivers, in contrast, took Lenny Bruce's slouching, surly menace and converted it into a hyperkinetic prowling of the stage, from which she launched abrasive provocations. She lambasted the audience for its sentimentality or hypocrisy and insisted on comedy's mission as a vehicle of harsh truths: "Please. Can we talk?"

What Joan represents is power of voice, which she developed for years before Betty Friedan co-founded the National Organization for Women. Jewish-American women (including Friedan) already had a startling candor and audacity, producing the shrill ethnic stereotype of the "Jewish seagull." Joan turned the seagull into a lioness. Although her self-deprecating acceptance of the iron law of female beauty initially put her at odds with the women's movement, Joan must be recognized as an iconic feminist role model. Everything she says or does, even when following her killer instinct for marketing and publicity, is about personal empowerment and ferocious independence. Her work ethic alone is a constant inspiration.

That Joan Rivers is a comic genius is incontrovertible -- even in her George Burns and Gracie Allen exchanges with her daughter, Melissa, who deftly plays the straight man. Joan has a better ear than most living poets for the spare, sinewy rhythms of modern English. Profane, irreverent and fearless, Joan Rivers is a legend in her own time.

Joan Rivers vs Heckler In Wisconsin
    from the documentary Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...redirect=false
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 08.31.14 at 05:00 AM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    crazy...she was just undergoing a minor procedure! but still, at 81 who knows when things can take a drastic turn.

got to give this woman credit, she's crude but she still makes me laugh and I love Fashion Police

you have to see her documentary on Netflix...she really let them show her life and it was surprising how hard she was still working and how difficult it is at times for her. she is a fighter for sure
    Eerie timing as I got this dvd from Netflix in the mail the day she went in the hospital. There's another great special on Showtime called "Why We laugh, Funny Women". Narrated and executive produced by Joan Rivers.

She's a LEGEND. Pioneer for women in comedy and just a hilarious comedian.

I'm so glad Jimmy Fallon had her back on the Tonight Show after that asshole Carson "banned" her and that shitbag no talent Jay Leno kept the ban going all these years. Petty imbeciles.

I'm hoping she pulls through, but it sounds bad.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Yeah, I like her too and I usually despise female comedians for the most part. She's an amazing woman her documentary was outstanding. She does things on her own terms have to admire that. With all the stuff she's been through I really hope she gets through this.

She even matched wits with DLR .

" On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:08 PM
    Liked 7,889 Times in 4,614 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah, I like her too and I usually despise female comedians for the most part.
    Despise is a strong word.

Why?

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Despise is a strong word.

Why?
    I guess it was the wrong word. I meant I don't usually enjoy most of the female comedians. With the exception of Joan Rivers, Roseanne Barr, Lucille Ball, and a few others.

There's probably many greats that I'm forgetting or don't know about but for the most part when I think of female stand up comedians Paula Poundstone or Ellen Degenerous come to mind. I think they're dorks. Just not a big fan of them in general I guess.

Joan Rivers is amazing though one of a kind as already stated she is a legend. Always cracks me up.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

RIP JOAN

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:54 AM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

Wow...between her, Robin Williams, John Pinette - the comedy industry really took a hit this year.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

I am sorry she passed of course, but she just came across to me as a mean spirited woman later in life. I thought she was much funnier back in the 80's.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:39 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

RIP
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I am sorry she passed of course, but she just came across to me as a mean spirited woman later in life. I thought she was much funnier back in the 80's.
    I disagree. George Carlin became mean-spirited later in life. I thought Joan got funnier as she aged.
    Making fun of the celebrities' wardrobes on the red carpet is far from mean-spirited, IMO.

RIP Joan.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Haven't seen much of her recent work except a commercial or two, but I remember her as funny back in the early '80s. Another sad loss.

Rest in Peace, Joan

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Maybe someone should update the title of the thread...
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

RIP Joan. You will be missed.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.