Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

Default Long but interesting Dave article from 2013

I'm sure this is not new to you guys. Feel free to delete or close this.
    Having said that this is a really long and well-written article about Dave.
    He comes across very humble and more down to Earth. Would've loved a little more on His feelings in Mike but I feel like between this and that Rolling Stone interview you get a sense.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/stevekandell...ietly?s=mobile
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Last Online

02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

good read, thanks. I have seen a few bits from that quoted in other articles but not read the entire thing

"The stars I see in a lot of people’s eyes are because of the uniform, not because of the pilot inside.”"

I liked this line...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 7,842 Times in 4,578 Posts

Premium Member

"Roth fully admits that Wolfgang’s involvement was never negotiable and that he hasn’t spoken to original bassist and odd man out Michael Anthony in “years.” “I had no choice, it was Edward’s decision..."

That's not true. We ALWAYS have a choice.

"And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion." DLR

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Hide Your Sheep View Post
    Definitely one of the best VH interviews/articles ever.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:51 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

SPECTACULAR. ...
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

I wouldn't call this one of the best VH interviews ever, but it was pretty good. I appreciate this version of Dave more than the self-inflicted caricature of Dave.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 11,749 Times in 6,507 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    Definitely one of the best VH interviews/articles ever.
    I agree. I don't think that any other member of VH has ever given an interview like this.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 237 Times in 80 Posts

I think Dave is more articulately explained in this kind of interview format than any other type of "interview" he does. This is personal, and gives a much wider scope than Dave just laughing all the time (which is definitely a defense mechanism tick ... I know others who do the same).

You also get the feeling that Dave longs for more activity and a "true" reunion that we will likely never see. In that way I kind of feel for the guy. Van Halen was as much as Dave's baby as it was Ed and Al's at the start ... and it's very much different.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

I've read this before, this is a good interview. Another good one was from Classic Rock magazine right after ADKOT came out. I've looked online to see if someone transcribed it but couldn't find it anywhere.

M*U*L*E

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

Two of the most interesting things I find are where Dave talks about how he's thought about how his life would be if he never left Van Halen and the idea behind not promoting ADKOT.
    I don't think I've ever heard Him question leaving, and he's certainly not suggesting he regrets it, but that comment makes you realize he's questioned his decision. Which is a side of him I don't remember ever hearing.
    And their idea behind not really promoting, while commendable, just feels like being out of touch with the "market place" in this day and age. Although the way Dave talks about contemporary things he doesn't strike me as someone out of touch. Ed seems our of touch but not Dave.
    I dunno thought I'd throw those out there.
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:53 AM
    Liked 11,749 Times in 6,507 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hide Your Sheep View Post
    Two of the most interesting things I find are where Dave talks about how he's thought about how his life would be if he never left Van Halen and the idea behind not promoting ADKOT.
    I don't think I've ever heard Him question leaving, and he's certainly not suggesting he regrets it, but that comment makes you realize he's questioned his decision. Which is a side of him I don't remember ever hearing.
    And their idea behind not really promoting, while commendable, just feels like being out of touch with the "market place" in this day and age. Although the way Dave talks about contemporary things he doesn't strike me as someone out of touch. Ed seems our of touch but not Dave.
    I dunno thought I'd throw those out there.
    This also struck me as odd. They completely left the promotion of ADKOT up to Dave, but it seems like they limited the type of promotion. There were a lot of things they could have done that would have helped. It's obvious that Eddie just isn't interested in being involved in any promotion. He strangely had no problem going on Larry King to promote the songs he did with LL COOL J.

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:26 PM
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

The piece is well written and lengthy. But it's very similar to a lot of Dave stories I read these days. The format is always the same. It's always at Dave's Pasadena house. Dave's dog is always there. The swords are in the living room. Dave's alone in the house. He'll talk about Japan a lot. Etc.

But the interview is more about the Van Halen mystique than about what the band is or was. The conclusion of these pieces will often be "Van Halen is the American way" or something of that nature. Something you can't really prove or refute.

I would prefer an interview more centered on what Van Halen is/was. About the music and the art. Like what does Dave think of "In A Simple Rhyme" and how was it written? Who decided to choose the Kurelek painting for the cover of "Mean Street," was it him or Pete Angelus? Can he explain some the lyrics from "Blood and Fire"?

I'm not really interested by one more article about "the meaning of Van Halen"? It's pretty obvious by now that it meant a great deal to a lot of people. But why? What in the music triggered this?

I feel this kind of story has yet to be written.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 7,842 Times in 4,578 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    It's obvious that Eddie just isn't interested in being involved in any promotion. He strangely had no problem going on Larry King to promote the songs he did with LL COOL J.
    Makes one wonder, if Ed even LIKES his own band.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:26 AM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

Ed was on Larry King ? Hmmm , never saw that . I've watched his awesome Piers Morgan interview a bunch of times though ...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Dangle View Post
    I've read this before, this is a good interview. Another good one was from Classic Rock magazine right after ADKOT came out. I've looked online to see if someone transcribed it but couldn't find it anywhere.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 08.31.14 at 12:49 PM.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011