Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 799 Posts

Default COPS soundman killed by Friendly Fire

'Cops' Crew Member Killed by Officers While Show Films Armed Robbery

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-tv/...173502495.html

A staffer on the long-running television crime show Cops was shot and killed Tuesday night by gunfire from local police, while videotaping an armed robbery in progress in Omaha, Nebraska, that also left the suspect dead.

According to the Omaha Police Department, the incident took place at a Wendy's restaurant around 9:20 p.m. CT, in the vicinity of 42nd Street and Dodge.

Initial reports said the TV crew member now identified by Langley Productions (which produces Cops) as 38-year-old audio technician Bryce Dion had been critically injured. The news of his death broke Wednesday morning, as first reported by the Omaha World-Herald and local NBC affiliate WOWT. Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer named the victim, along with the suspect Cortez Washington, 32, at a press conference Wednesday afternoon.

Schmaderer said that his department was proud to have Cops in town filming, because they were eager to highlight the strong work conducted in their department. He added that the officers considered Dion a friend, and this incident felt "as if we lost one of our own. [Dion] was an incredible man."

Indeed, according to a WOWT reporter, the Omaha police had embraced the production crew's presence over the summer.

The perp:

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 799 Posts

From the Comments Section of the Yahoo TV article

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/yahoo-tv/...173502495.html

JDominator

Speaking as a former police lieutenant I will admit that a lot of police officers need more extensive firearm training. I just don't understand why it takes more than 30 rounds to stop the threat of a robbery suspect. What happens in a lot of police shootings is what I call the monkey see monkey do syndrome, where if one officer hears the other one shoot, all the officers pointing their weapons will also begin shoot. Not only will they shoot, but they shoot wildly. From my years of experience in law enforcement and my witness accounts I will say that the following should take place in all departments across the country.

Increase the officer's confidence in himself by:

1. More extensive hand to hand combat training (martial arts)

2. Extensive on-going firearms training. (for our department it was once per year qualifications) should be monthly!

When an officer is confident in himself, not only will he turn to his firearm as a last resort, but he will carry himself with true authority and most crooks will sense this. Yes, crooks can sense a lack of confidence is an officer and they will take advantage of that weakness. I've seen it a million times over with rookie officers.

I realize this was an armed robbery in progress and it's possible that the suspect came out of the restaurant shooting his weapon. However, even then, an officer that is very consistent with his firearm won't shoot his firearm all wildly out of panic. You will see 2-3 double tap rounds for a total of 4-6 shots all at the suspect, not everyone in the vicinity - like this crew member.

This is a very unfortunate situation with this crew member losing his life, but this is more common than most people think. Officers serving warrants, house entries, SWAT, etc. a lot of officers get shot by their own people out of pure panic.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:00 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

I know it's a reality show but if they knew it was an armed robbery in progress, why the the COPS guy follow the police in? Stay in a secured area.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA