Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Ed's delay-

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Default Ed's delay-

So I thinks he's using is it sde1000s? What's the go with them- is it a tape delay emulator or digital? It sounds warm so I thought tape but cant quite tell?
    Any ideas?
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

SDE-3000. Digital. Guess Roland made pretty good sounding delays. I'm still a fan.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Yeah, Roland have always made great Delays, even with the Boss digital pedals. I still use my DD-3 for gigging and jams. In the studio, I use a Lexicon rack unit, but it's frankly no better in warmth and clarity than my trusty old Boss or Roland gear from the past. Pretty sure it's just a standard digital setting, and not tape emulation. All tape emulation does really is add distortion and roll off dynamics at the tail end of the repeat setting. I frankly hate emulation, but then I have a vintage Evans Space Echo tape delay/spring Reverb unit if I want to get a true vintage echo.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Which delay are you talking about? There were many over the years...

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Which delay are you talking about? There were many over the years...
    Actually....Good point! I think he's talking his most recent setup, or at least his basic delay choices over the past decade or so which have been digital.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Actually....Good point! I think he's talking his most recent setup, or at least his basic delay choices over the past decade or so which have been digital.
    he has had the sde-3000's live and chandlers in the studio since the mid 80's

Last Online

Yeah- mainly talking about the new set up- Im using the digitech 2120 and tried the tape delay setting but it had a distorted quality that didn't do anything for the sound so I switched to the digital one. Trouble is, it sounds a bit harsh- a bit too top ended- not warm or rich?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WDFA5150 View Post
    Yeah- mainly talking about the new set up- Im using the digitech 2120 and tried the tape delay setting but it had a distorted quality that didn't do anything for the sound so I switched to the digital one. Trouble is, it sounds a bit harsh- a bit too top ended- not warm or rich?
    Oh really? I've had GREAT luck with the 2120 for the effects built in (NOT the amp models / distortions). I've used it both in my guitar rig and in my studio extensively, with fantastic results. It's kinda like a poor mans eventide in a lot of ways.

Could you tell us a little more about your setup and how you are using the 2120? I've found the delays to be REALLY rounded off... definitely warm -- not what I would describe as being harsh at all. Maybe we can get your patches / rig optimized so you can get it doing what you need!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Oh really? I've had GREAT luck with the 2120 for the effects built in (NOT the amp models / distortions). I've used it both in my guitar rig and in my studio extensively, with fantastic results. It's kinda like a poor mans eventide in a lot of ways.

Could you tell us a little more about your setup and how you are using the 2120? I've found the delays to be REALLY rounded off... definitely warm -- not what I would describe as being harsh at all. Maybe we can get your patches / rig optimized so you can get it doing what you need!
    Yeah, exactly. I've yet to experience a digital delay that tends to make things harsh, or too bright. Most I've used usually cut the high end somewhat. Not in a bad way, but that's just how they are generally factory "tuned". it allows you to differentiate between a current note, and a repeated one giving some audible depth to the overall effect. My rack model, the Lexicon, has an adjustment that allows you to bring back the high end dynamics, but even there, you can notice a difference between a current note and a repeated one.

Last Online

Actually- strike that- as stupid as it sounds it had more to do with where I had the speakers facing- aimed them off to a dead surface ( curtains!) and prob pretty much gone. Rest of the issue was to do with a dodgy connection on the power amp- a bit of contact cleaner and that's sorted too-
    I only noticed because we got rid of a large lounge setting which must of absorbed some of the top end- I had the music playing in there the other night and it was just like the amp- too top endy and WAY too reflective!