Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

Default Superbowl? You've lost your mind . . .

I have read several comments lately claiming the NFL should get VH to do the Superbowl show. Are you kidding?

While VH is my favorite band of all time and I covet all their music . . . them doing the SB show is delusional.

They have almost no international appeal. They have no momentum in the media/market. They are all 4 recluses, who would barely be able to support the media campaign necessary. Their lead singer prances around the stage so awkwardly now even the die-hard fans sometime cringe. God forbid DLR would be singing live. The mixes of the halftimes are never great and his off-key, balls-in-a-vice-style vocals would hurt most ears.

Of course their redeeming factor is a kick-ass catalog of music and one of the greatest guitar players of all-time. That's not nearly enough to make this work, though.

acs

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

No need to worry. They wouldn't be asked and they wouldn't do it if they were.

As far as Dave's singing though, even in some fantasy world where they played the SB it would likely be required to be prerecorded and lip synched anyway. That's no slap at the band, or any band, the vast majority of major events like the Super Bowl, the Olympics, presidential inauguration and so on are prerecorded not necessarily for performance reasons but for technical reasons. They're not going to allow an event like those go haywire and awkward because of a dead mic or guitar cutting out or any number of other things.

Rush declined the Olympics lasts time for this very reason:

When asked why RUSH was not involved at all with the Vancouver Olympics, which took place in February, Lee said, "Yeah, well, we had an opportunity to play, but there were all kinds of crazy rules going on about lip-synching and stuff like that. That's just not our bag, man."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ged...chbj0QWkkEC.99

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 790 Times in 476 Posts

I still would want them to do it. As they should, being among the Top 2-5 biggest hard rock bands of all time.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Yeah not the best show for them to do. It would not go well.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:31 PM
    Liked 1,940 Times in 785 Posts

Premium Member

We'll, the Idea of VH playing a Super Bowl halftime may be a pipe dream now. The NFL is wanting halftime acts to contribute a portion of their tour proceeds in order to play the halftime show :http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...the-privilege/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yes
    The NFL is going broke and the Super Bowl needs all the starving artists to donate to their cause.
    Come on Dave
    Save the Bowl
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

MWM
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:26 AM
    Liked 103 Times in 44 Posts

Little Guitars, The Full Bug, Light Up the Sky, Hot For Teacher

Second half kickoff.

Two-minute warning, Jets and Seahawks refuse to play the remainder of the game until Van Halen agrees to post-game encore.

Nick Folk nails last-second field goal to win it for Jets.

VH comes back on for Unchained, Outta Space.

A drunk Natalie Portman hears Van Halen coming from my TV and knocks on my door.
    Last edited by 316/411; 08.24.14 at 04:36 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,143 Times in 8,965 Posts

I am still in the "hell no" department.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Liked 564 Times in 306 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I am still in the "hell no" department.
    I agree. They'd be a laughing stock because of Dave's voice. The rest of the band would be fine, but Dave is a huge weak link in a live setting now. When they are playing a concert for VH fans, we kind of understand that, but your average schmuck who see Dave sing live now...man, you'd have the entire internet, Twitter, etc., just hammering Dave.

If they stuck to guitar-centric songs that were originally kind of "speak/singing", like Mean Street, Unchained, etc...it might be okay. But you know they'd have to play stuff like DTNA, Pretty Woman, etc, where Dave really sounds bad now.

Let's say they do it: Unchained. HFT. Jump. ATBL. RWTD. I think Dave could concentrate and pull those off respectably.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,143 Times in 8,965 Posts

If they did the Super Bowl, DLR would probably be singing to a vocal track or just flat our lip syncing.

So again...hell no.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:03 AM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

I'm hoping this pay-to-play-the-Super Bowl move is just a clever ploy to end the entire concept of the halftime show, which is one of the greatest annual entertainment atrocities on the planet. Show a couple of highlights, make some predictions, have a marching band play, play a few extra funny commercials and get ON with it.

TK

On Fire
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 148 Times in 94 Posts

Well, they could always OPEN the super bowl. Granted, the superbowl audience is traditionally made up of 15 year old girls, so they NEED acts like N'sync and stuff, but I am sure that I read somewhere that there are upward to 100 or so "Men in their 40s" watching the superbowl. Besides, other rock acts have done it...

Last edited by jack5150; 09.01.14 at 12:52 PM.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:49 AM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

Even though the NFL plays VH during every game more than any other band, VH will not play because it is now what it is.....Big artists paying to play in the Super Bowl. As Bill Cowher would say, "It is what it is."

The Last Steelers game at Heinz field they played:
    1. Running with the Devil
    2. Everybody Wants Some!!!
    3. Panama
    4. Hot For Teacher
    5. Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love
    6. Unchained
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:57 AM
    Liked 11,761 Times in 6,516 Posts

Premium Member

I'm surprised at how many people think the Superbowl performances are live anyway. Remember Flea jammin' out like a madman last year? That was taped. Whitney Houston's famous rendition of the national anthem was also taped. Over the years performers had admitted lip synching the Superbowl. When did people start thinking it was live?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:02 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I'm surprised at how many people think the Superbowl performances are live anyway. Remember Flea jammin' out like a madman last year? That was taped. Whitney Houston's famous rendition of the national anthem was also taped. Over the years performers had admitted lip synching the Superbowl. When did people start thinking it was live?
    Yeah, this is what I was saying earlier in the thread. Honestly it doesn't bother me much when you're talking about an event that's bugger than the music itself. As I said, it's usually done at larger events just out of caution and practicality. If I go see a band in concert then I want it to be real, but it's understandable that a Super Bowl or Olympic Games or presidential inauguration would be prerecorded so as not to take any chances messing up the bigger picture. Nobody wants to hear a singer cough during an inauguration or have to wait for a tech to fix a guitar jack at the Super Bowl.

Here's just a bit more:

Vancouver Olympic opening ceremonies will feature lip-synching, not dubbing

By Nick Patch THE CANADIAN PRESS

VANCOUVER — Two years after piped-in vocals from a seven-year-old songbird touched off a controversy at the Beijing Games, Vancouver Olympic organizers are hoping to avoid a similar scandal by being clear about plans for the 2010 opening ceremonies.
    Yes, VANOC says, performers will lip-synch at Friday’s festivities. But they’re also quick to point out the distinction between that method and the dubbing that inspired such outrage in Beijing.

But David Atkins, executive producer of the Vancouver opening ceremonies, points out that what happened in China was actually dubbing, not lip-synching — the distinction being that lip-synching involves a singer mimicking a backing track of his or her own voice, while dubbing means misrepresenting someone else’s voice as the singer’s own.
    “Most live events are performed probably 90 per cent synched,” said David Atkins, executive producer of the Vancouver opening ceremonies.
    “In other words, performers are miming their guitar playing or they’re miming their drumming or they’re miming their singing in some cases and that’s been the case for a very long time.”
    And yet instances where lip-synchers have been exposed have still often incited outrage or ridicule from the public and media.
    In 2004, Ashlee Simpson was humiliated when producers on “Saturday Night Live” queued up the wrong vocal track as she took the stage to “sing.” Flustered, she made some exaggerated dance moves before exiting the stage, later blaming the incident on a case of acid reflux.
    Britney Spears faced a controversy in Australia this past fall when patrons were angry that large portions of her show were lip-synched. An Australian politician was even quoted saying prior to the show that the Sydney crowd would not tolerate a “Mickey Mouse performance” from Spears.
    Some were similarly upset when the NFL revealed that the flawless performances delivered by Jennifer Hudson and Faith Hill at 2009’s Super Bowl were both lip-synched to tracks recorded in advance.
    And four years ago, Elton John blasted Madonna because he believed she lip-synched on her “Reinvention” tour, saying that “anyone who lip-synchs in public onstage when you pay 75 Pounds to see them should be shot.”
    The thorny issue already arose at these Games, when the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra turned down an invitation to supply music for the opening ceremonies because VANOC wanted other musicians to mime the performance during the show.
    Lip-synching at live events is not, however, pandemic.
    A representative for the Juno Awards told The Canadian Press that the show does not employ lip-synching in any form, and that the show’s performers are not accompanied by backing tracks.
    “The Junos are 100 per cent live,” said Juno spokesman Chris McDowall.
    “No lip-synching at all.”
    Still, Atkins insists that lip-synching is the standard for most live television events, when the stakes are so high for producers that a spotty microphone connection, sore throat or botched lyric could prove disastrous.
    “From a musical point of view ... it would be impossible to have every single sound and instrument that’s sent out to the broadcast there on the stage,” he explained.
    “Everyone will be performing live in the stadium and performing vocally live but we always pre-record their voices to ensure the quality of the broadcast. And if something happens, within a fraction of a second we can flip from live to pre-recorded.”

http://fftimes.com/node/231164