Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Default VH1 Tribute Guitar (Lite) completed

Ok, so it's minus the stripes and has a white pickguard, but it is sporting a brand new Frankenstein Humbucker and it rocks.

It started life as a MIM 1993 Squier Strat. It's a solid Alder body. In '93, Fender was producing bodies and necks in the U.S., shipping them to Mexico to be assembled with crap hardware and electronics, and selling them as Squiers. Anyway, great solid body. Full thickness.

It has a MightyMite neck, which is not incredible, but is very good. The baseplate on the trem is stock, but the saddles are Graphtech, and the sustain block is a GFS Brass sustain block.

Down the road, I will probably install a SuperVee Blade Runner Trem, and possibly some locking tuners and a brass nut.

"Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

This one I built from a kit I got from BYO Guitar. I borrowed the idea of a locking nut and the Schaller fine tuner stop tail from the new Wolfgangs.

Anyway, it's my Harley guitar. I'm probably going to upgrade the pickups to a set of Alnico Pro 2s. Maybe a Seth Lover in the bridge, I'm not sure yet.

"Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Nice work! They're both cool, but I like the Strat in particular. It's simple, attractive, and built of nice parts!

Last Online

Thanks man. Ya'know, I love the idea of the VH1 B&W Frankie, with a single humbucker and single volume knob, but it's tough to gig with one. Everyone expects you are going to whip out some Van Halen solos. In all honesty, I don't have the chops for that kind of pressure. I'm more of a bluesy melodic player. If my name was Barry Gilmore (local guitar player in 7 West, for those of you not in my local area), I could probably pull it off.

Anyway, I like to think of it as a guitar with the tone of the Frankie, and the look of a Blackie.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:49 PM
    Liked 796 Times in 432 Posts

Premium Member

I like the Strat better too, but I love that the Harley guitar looks like you dragged it behind a Harley...

TK

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How was the BYO guitar to build? I have been considering one of these for awhile (between the BYO, Guitar Fetish, and the Bulldog LP clones) for a build. Where did you get the bridge?
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Last Online

Thanks. It wasn't bad to build. I had our local luthier glue the neck in for me. I didn't want to risk getting the angle wrong. The frets weren't exactly level, and they had sharp edges. I leveled the frets and smoothed the edges out myself. I think I found the bridge at Amazon.com. I tried to stain the top purple, but the stain didn't soak in at a couple spots around the edge. I suspect it was glue from the binding. Anyway, I abandoned that idea in favor of a black top and walnut back hand applied lacquer. After sanding between the second and third coat, I decided it looked kind of cool and left it. Besides, I ran out of energy to continue painting and sanding. Besides that, it was ok. The wood is pretty good, and it has a pretty good slab of maple too.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do have a Les Paul Studio that I am considering doing the Schaller locking bridge and nut mod to. It was so modded that it doesn't matter. This one has a maple neck (rosewood fretboard, unfortunately) and is unchambered.

I have found LP's to sound AWESOME; but they lack tuning stability. My Studio has a Frankenstein in the bridge position. But seeing your axe has inspired me to do something with my unplayed Studio.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Last Online

If you install the Schaller stop-tail, you will have to replace the inserts with the ones that come with the Schaller. This may lead you to have to plug the old holes with dowel rods and re-drill, as the inserts for the Schaller are smaller in diameter than the inserts for the stock stop-tail.

Just a heads-up before you purchase the Schaller. You will also have to cut a wedge of wood to put under the Floyd nut, as the shelf for the nut is not wide enough to support the Floyd nut fully.

I think the modifications are well worth it though. Tuning stability went from being typical crappy Les Paul type, to being incredible.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Those older Squier bodies are pure gold. Absolutely a Fender Strat body, just as good, the exact same thing. Several of mine are just Squiers, but they sound and play excellent. And they're usually easy picking at the pawn shops.

Sweet builds!

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    If you install the Schaller stop-tail, you will have to replace the inserts with the ones that come with the Schaller. This may lead you to have to plug the old holes with dowel rods and re-drill, as the inserts for the Schaller are smaller in diameter than the inserts for the stock stop-tail.

Just a heads-up before you purchase the Schaller. You will also have to cut a wedge of wood to put under the Floyd nut, as the shelf for the nut is not wide enough to support the Floyd nut fully.

I think the modifications are well worth it though. Tuning stability went from being typical crappy Les Paul type, to being incredible.
    I am just going to have my local luthier get this going. I love the meat of an LP but HATE the tuning stability. When I fronted a band, I took three LP's with me, having someone tune one after playing a song and having a drop-D and a spare regular tuned one. I may front again, but I don't want to carry five guitars. This would be perfect.

I have an '88 Studio with a maple neck. I only knew that 'cos the guitar was stripped when I got it. Non-chambered body just like the good old days. I will probably play my mahogany Wolfgang-shaped pink "Cotton Candy is Tasty", my blue Wolf-striped (w/ one green stripe) ash Wolf, and my Studio when I go back out.

I guess the "drop to hell" tailpiece never made it out of the box. What a shame.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Les Pauls have great tuning stability if you learn how to install the strings correctly at the post, use Nut Sauce, seat the strings and stretch and retune all the while tuning only up to (and not down to) the target pitch. As long as you do this and your guitar has been properly set up either by yourself or a competent technician, you will have perfect tuning stability.

Last Online

All of those things will help overcome the tuning stability issues that the Les Paul has. It's not just the Les Paul, its really any guitar with the 3x3 LP style headstock. The problem is what could be considered a design flaw. The strings have to take a drastic angle from the nut to the tuning key, which causes binding at the nut. It is more pronounced on the G and D strings, where the most drastic angle is. The nut sauce just lubricates this tension to help eliminate the binding at the nut.

The real problem is that there is not a direct string pull through the nut to the tuning keys.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All of those things help immensely; however- nobozos has it right about the 3 per side peg heads. Even doing everything right like garbeaj mentioned- it gets mighty annoying to tune every song; my FR guitars would only require minor tweaks (unlike my LPs). But if the nut sauce, pre-stretching of strings and the like weren't done, my LP, Explorers and Vs would be a NIGHTMARE to play live.

Last Online

I just came across what is a new line of pickups, to me at least. I had never heard of them before, and now I'm thinking about getting one for the bridge position of my Harley guitar.

They are called Railhammer Pickups, and I'm particularly interested in the Anvil model. To me, it exhibits a lot of the qualities of the EVH Frankenstein humbucker, at least from what I can tell based on the videos and soundclips I've heard.

Anyone else have any input on these?