Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

06.09.19 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts

I really enjoyed this thread, Allen! Great job, sir!
    WGAF?!!

Last Online

08.20.19 @ 06:35 PM
    Liked 4,425 Times in 1,679 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Great thread, Garbaej! Your Destroyer came out awesome. Can't wait to hear the clips!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

02.22.19 @ 03:31 PM
    Liked 633 Times in 396 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    Let's hear more about Doug Anderson's VH Museum. I get to Pasadena a few times a year and know the area well. Is this is a real music store or in Doug's house? How to find it?

On my first trip ever to LA in 1996 I went to Pasadena and visited Dr. Music, which I had read was the store Ed went to back in the day. By then it was all horns, woodwinds and sheet music, no guitars at all. I was on my way out the door, sort of disappointed, and spotted a Polaroid of Ed at the store with 1977 written on it, tacked on the wall behind the register. That was the only VH relic I saw there.
    It is a private shop that Doug calls "The Tone Zone"...as you can see in the video,, he has a lot of early Van Halen memorabilia and lots of stuff from Stevie Ray Vaughan as well as The Who and some others. He has a lot of vintage gear and I believe he does all sorts of tech work. Supposedly you have to call him and make an appointment to see the so-called "Van Halen Museum" that you see in the video. I have tried to find a contact for Doug, but no luck. I haven't been to Southern California since 1988, but if I ever get back there again I'm going to try to get myself over there!

Dr. Music was the place that Ed used to get some work done and pick up strings and things...I think Cesar Diaz may have worked there? I seem to recall that Dr. Music was mentioned in the credits on one or more of the albums...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Great thread, Garbeaj! Your Destroyer came out awesome. Can't wait to hear the clips!
    Thanks! I'm really dying to have my amp back and make more clips...I had a problem with microphonic feedback and my tech in Lake Charles has had it for months and hasn't even started working on it yet, but I'm hoping to light a fire under his ass and get all my projects finished. He has two of my guitars to work on before he gets to my amp, but I'm tired of waiting. I moved back to Houston from Lake Charles and I'll have to drive about an hour and 45 minutes to get my stuff whenever he has it finished...it is KILLING me to be without my '78 Frankenstein replica and my Rockstah Marshall!!
    Last edited by garbeaj; 08.19.14 at 10:25 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    I really enjoyed this thread, Allen! Great job, sir!
    Thanks very much my brother! You did a lot of legwork on the Destroyer (which I copy-pasted wholesale from you) and you were a great help in helping me with my build...I thank you again and again!!

You saw more of the nitty gritty and the frustrations in my thread on CVH.com...I skipped over some of the missteps... ie, putting on the incorrect full size Schallers on and then filling and redrilling to fit the correct "D" logo Schallers on and completely re-doing the guitar's paint job and headstock decal when I realized that Ed did not use clear coat on any of his guitars-just as you told me long ago! I had my guys repaint the guitar completely with white spray paint and then buff it out with rubbing compound and apply another headstock decal...it looks amazing now...pure, bright white and it will last without yellowing as it did when I first painted it with several coats of clear. That was the final piece to getting it to look just right!

I'm actually going to refret the guitar with brand new stainless steel frets...that will be another whole bunch of cash, but that's what I like and that's what will save me from having to do fret jobs from wearing down the regular nickel frets. The guitar is playable now, but the stainless steel frets will get it perfect and then I'll make some clips with it.

Thanks again for all your help for these many years!
    Last edited by garbeaj; 08.19.14 at 10:42 AM.

Last Online

08.19.19 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 805 Times in 389 Posts

You forgot one very important point in the evolution of Ed's Ibanez Destroyer:

The Claymation Phase.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

02.28.18 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post

I'm actually going to refret the guitar with brand new stainless steel frets...that will be another whole bunch of cash, but that's what I like and that's what will save me from having to do fret jobs from wearing down the regular nickel frets. The guitar is playable now, but the stainless steel frets will get it perfect and then I'll make some clips with it.

Thanks again for all your help for these many years!
    How much does some something like that cost
    Earn this...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Tank2000 View Post
    How much does some something like that cost
    Probably around $200 not including the cost of the stainless steel fret wire-it is very intensive work to carefully pull the old frets and install the new stainless steel ones without damaging the fretboard or the paint job on the neck itself...it also tends to wear down or completely break standard refretting tools. There are some tools that are designed to work specifically with stainless steel frets, but many techs don't have these tools. They usually use their regular tools and end up having to buy new tools to replace the ones that have been worn out by the stainless steel material.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here is another pic that I got from jimi that shows what the actual tuners were on the "Shark" era Ibanez Destroyer. This has been around for a while and many of you have probably seen it, but I thought I would include it to make a more complete look at Ed's original guitar in one place...

These are actually "Asterisk" tuners rather than the more common "Star" tuners...these are even more rare than standard Ibanez "Star" tuners...yet another reason why I went with the Schaller "D" logo tuners on my build. Ed had three gold and three chrome "Asterisk" tuners on the guitar when it was made into the "Shark"...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here is an Ibanez catalog page that shows a more accurate description of the construction of the old Destroyers...note that it describes the body as being made of "Selected Solid Ash" and the finish is accurately described as "African Korina Finish"...

I don't think Ed or Chris saw this catalog picture and information and they were fooled by another advertisement that is not as accurate...
    Last edited by garbeaj; 08.25.14 at 09:58 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here are ads from 1975 (the very first prototype Destroyers were made in 1975 and shown at that year's NAMM convention and early prodcution models like Ed and Chris Holmes' Destroyers were likely made from late 1975 to early 1976) that I feel that Ed and Chris may have seen or where a salesperson may have gotten that the guitars were made of korina wood and they then told this to Chris and Ed as a sales pitch...

These ads clearly say that the Destroyers (and the other Gibson "korina" copies that Ibanez made of the Moderne and the Flying V) were made of "solid korina wood"...Who could blame Ed and Holmes for thinking these guitars were made of the same "korina" (African Limba) wood as the original Gibson Explorers.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here is a close up of the truss rod cover on Ed's Ibanez Destroyer in the white phase from the color musikfoto.com pictures:

As I said earlier, I'm working with Chandler Pickguard Heaven to make some copies of my truss rod cover for a friend. They should keep the resulting pattern on hand so that everyone can order an accurate replica of the original Ibanez Destroyer truss rod cover in the style of Ed's cheaply and easily. It is a time consuming and expensive process, especially considering how small the resulting product is...I'll let y'all know when they have it completed.

You can also see the small cigarette burn on the headstock in the usual spot...that has been Ed's favorite cigarette holder from way back!
    Last edited by garbeaj; 08.25.14 at 10:26 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here are some of the fairly well-known early flyers that show the Ibanez Destroyer in it's white phase:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here is a great early color shot of Dave with the white Destroyer in the background...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here are some early shots of Ed with the Destroyer in the white phase that were posted on DLR.com years ago...

Last edited by garbeaj; 08.25.14 at 10:59 AM.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post: