Register
Save
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

02.22.19 @ 03:31 PM
    Liked 633 Times in 396 Posts

The guitar had some sort of Seymour Duncan humbuckers that I hated...

Eventually, I tried all sorts of pickups. I started with professionally potted original Super 70s pickups with original Ibanez nickel pickup covers.

These sounded terrible in all my amps and especially in my Rockstah Marshall. I ended up going with a new Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge position, just like I have in my '78 Frankenstein build...these pickups just work perfectly with Mod 5 amps for the first album sounds, so that's what I'm sticking with. I love the sound and I'll post a clip when I get my Rockstah Marshall out of the shop...which hopefully won't be too much longer!

The neck pickup is still one of the original Super 70s...the tone controls are disconnected and I usually use the bridge pickup only wired straight to the volume control just as Ed did...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Eventually, I had my painters fill the cracks, sand it and paint it with pure white spray paint and then they buffed it with rubbing compound. This is how Ed finished most of his guitars, including the original Frankenstein.

I had them add a black script Ibanez headstock logo exactly like the original Ibanez logos. Well almost exactly...Of course the original Ibanez Destroyers had a black headstock with a white logo, but since I painted the headstock white, I went with a black script logo. I think it looks great!

Finding an original Ed style Ibanez Destroyer truss rod cover took me many months. Eventually I got someone to make a tracing of their own original Ibanez truss rod cover and I had my tech cut it custom for me. I'm trying to get one made for a friend right now Chandler Pickguard Heaven from my tracing, but it is expensive and it is taking a long time...
    Last edited by garbeaj; 08.18.14 at 03:11 PM.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

I ended up upgrading most of the other components.

I started with original vintage "D" logo Schaller tuners...same as the ones Ed used on the original Frankenstein.

The Ibanez Destroyers originally came with "Star" tuners, but these are very rare and expensive to find in a complete set and they are horribly unreliable. I went with the "D" logo Schallers because they are probably the best tuners on the planet and they are period correct to the 1975 prototype Ibanez Destroyers that were shown at NAMM 1975. Here is a pic of one of the prototype 1975 NAMM Destroyers and their original "D" logo Schallers:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

I also upgraded the jack using a Switchcraft input jack assembly with a chrome Gibson Explorer jackplate. The original Destroyers had horrible black plastic jackplates that broke easily.

Then I got an RS Guitarworks vintage Gibson Explorer wiring kit with parts and wiring scheme that was period correct to vintage 1958 Gibson Explorers. I changed it around a little by disconnecting the Tone pots and wiring the bridge pickups straight to the volume knob.

I originally upgraded the straplocks to chrome Schaller straplocks, but I ended up going back to vintage Gibson style. I now use StewMac black plastic disc straplocks on this guitar and they work great, much better than the Schaller straplocks. I saw Clapton and Doyle II using them on tour and now I use 'em on most of my electric guitars.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

I used a Tonepros locking lightweight aluminum tailpiece...

And a gold Tonepros locking bridge...

Note that I also used aged strat Volume and Tone knobs with Gibson metal arrow pointers as Ed did...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Then I had my tech do a complete fret job...

Then he set up the guitar (made sure the nut was filed correctly, trus rod adjusted correctly, etc.)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

I'll try to get a clip posted when my Rockstah Marshall is out of the shop...it sounds great and feels amazing! I have 17 guitars and this one is one of my favorites...this build took place over several years and it was worth all the time, effort and money. All told I spent about $1,100 on it...considerably less expensive than a mint example of a 1975 Ibanez Destroyer and I was able to customize it the way I wanted it down to the very last detail. It is great fun to play this guitar in clubs...no one has any idea that it is basically a total Van Halen geek guitar because the white phase of this guitar is not as well known as the "Shark"/red and white stripe phase and it is certainly not anywhere near as well known as any of the striped Frankenstein designs.

Lots of fun!!

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 05:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Awesome thread.

Because that wasn't Ed's Destroyer. It's the one he borrowed from Chris Holmes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Double Down; 09.25.16 at 11:13 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 05:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Super cool thread garbeaj! I saw an original Greco Destroyer on ebay a couple months ago for I think $750, but unfortunately I couldn't afford it. Nice job on your Destroyer! Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 8,974 Times in 6,445 Posts

Premium Member

Great thread !!! I've seen a lot of this before , but I'm sure glad you're posting here and now on the VHLinks , garbeaj ...

You're playing , teaching , attention to detail/builds , and 'fellow guitar brother/chill' attitude is awesome !!!

I'm glad to have your knowledge and experience to help draw from
    P.S. - the guitar turned out fantastic ! Can't wait to hear it paired with your coveted Rockstah amp
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - A very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Awesome thread.
    I'm sorry if it was confusing, but I started off the thread by giving some background about the Chris Holmes Ibanez Destroyer that was purchased at more or less the same time. They both began as stock instruments and then Ed painted his white and Chris painted his red.

Eddie borrowed the red Destroyer from Chris Holmes to record Women and Children First (as Bluto said) because he felt that he ruined the tone when he turned his own Destroyer into the "Shark" and removed all the wood near the bridge.

Eddie loved the sound of his original Destroyer and some of the best tracks on the first album were recorded with it, including their breakthrough single "You Really Got Me" and of course many key tracks on WACF were recorded with the near identical guitar, the Chris Holmes Destroyer.
    Last edited by Double Down; 09.25.16 at 11:14 PM.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 12:54 AM
    Liked 313 Times in 75 Posts

Wow Allan! That is some devotion right there! I agree, I think the white Destroyer looks KILLER! And yours looks even BETTER! If I found one for $750, I'd be tempted to Sharkify it as it is the unicorn guitar for me. I don't know if I could do it though. Very very cool and awesome thread.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Thanks very much Nick! I know you appreciate attention to detail and I'm glad you were able to see the "mate" to the excellent '78 Frankenstein that you painted for me!

I use these guitars primarily to study and play the material from the first album, but the Destroyer works for other Destroyer-recorded tracks like "Outta Love Again" and "Take Your Whiskey Home"...though "Outta Love Again" was recorded with the "Shark" modded version of Ed's Destroyer and Kevin Dodds' "Shark" modded Epiphone or another good "Shark" replica would be more accurate for that specific song

The Gibson scale length and the deep cutaway at the top of the fingerboard make playing difficult licks like the "spread" lick from "Take Your Whiskey Home" a breeze...I used to struggle playing that lick on my Les Paul years ago...it was virtually impossible to play it standing up! Getting an accurate replica of the guitar that Ed used on a particular recording can really open your eyes up to how Ed played certain things. The fast "spread" lick from "Take Your Whiskey Home" is one example, but there are many, many others.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 1,045 Times in 552 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    I'm sorry if it was confusing, but I started off the thread by giving some background about the Chris Holmes Ibanez Destroyer that was purchased at more or less the same time. They both began as stock instruments and then Ed painted his white and Chris painted his red.

Eddie borrowed the red Destroyer from Chris Holmes to record Women and Children First (as Bluto said) because he felt that he ruined the tone when he turned his own Destroyer into the "Shark" and removed all the wood near the bridge.

Eddie loved the sound of his original Destroyer and some of the best tracks on the first album were recorded with it, including their breakthrough single "You Really Got Me" and of course many key tracks on WACF were recorded with the near identical guitar, the Chris Holmes Destroyer.
    Yeah I got all those points, I just hadn't heard before that Ed borrowed a Destroyer for WACF. I assumed he used his anyways despite not being happy with the change in tone after cutting it up. Never realized he only used his for the WACF photo shoot.

Great thread and great job on the guitar. Was expecting to see it completed with your own striped up Shark. Caught me off guard by stopping at the white! Ha.. Safe to say nobody will ever pick up the fact that it's a VH replica of sorts.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Eruption
    Last Online

08.12.19 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 280 Times in 152 Posts

Let's hear more about Doug Anderson's VH Museum. I get to Pasadena a few times a year and know the area well. Is this is a real music store or in Doug's house? How to find it?

On my first trip ever to LA in 1996 I went to Pasadena and visited Dr. Music, which I had read was the store Ed went to back in the day. By then it was all horns, woodwinds and sheet music, no guitars at all. I was on my way out the door, sort of disappointed, and spotted a Polaroid of Ed at the store with 1977 written on it, tacked on the wall behind the register. That was the only VH relic I saw there.