Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: New Amp Day

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 726 Times in 343 Posts

Default New Amp Day

So, I managed to snag an Orange Tiny Terror for what I considered to be the reasonable price of $300.

I also picked up a Crate GT112SL cabinet. For those of you that don't know, it's the cabinet that was sold with the Crate Power Block, and they are no longer in production. I just have to say that as far as 1x12 cabinets go, this thing is awesome. It sounds great and is very solid. I thought I would want to switch out the Celestion G12K100 for a Vintage 30, but after plugging the Orange into my other cab with a V30, I changed my mind. The speaker in the cab works well with the Tiny Terror.

Anyway, the Tiny Terror and the Crate Cab sound great. Straight into it with the guitar, I've found that the tone set at about 4:00, and the gain set to 2:00 was a very heavy usable setting.

I put my Boss ME-70 in front of it, and set one patch for just a bit of delay, and another with delay, and a touch of overdrive. This gives it a more Van Halenish tone, because the overdrive gives it that touch of midrange lacking in the Orange tone.

I'm considering a Sonic Stomp pedal in front of the amp, because it does tend to get muddy on the bottom end when the tone knob is anywhere below 3:00. I'm thinking I can set the tone to almost fully open, and add some bottom end through the Sonic Stomp to get a nice tight bass response.

Anyone else have experience with the Tiny Terror?
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:07 AM
    Liked 2,284 Times in 1,172 Posts

Congrats!... cool strategy

This video will crack you up:

Last Online

Yeah, I've seen that video before. I love those guys, they are hilarious. I had a Micro Terror for about a week. Now it lives at my friends house. He bought my ITS-8 pedal from me, but it quit working after he had it for about two weeks, so I gave him my Micro Terror to hold while I looked at the pedal. If I can't fix it, I told him he can keep the Micro Terror.

Anyway, the Micro Terror is an incredible little amp, and one of the main reasons I started looking at Tiny Terrors.
    Last edited by nobozos; 08.15.14 at 05:50 PM.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post

Anyway, the Micro Terror is an incredible little amp...
    Totally agree.... they are great

The TINY at 7W sounds amazing when you record it...

I'm going to buy one in the next few months... can't beat the pricetag

Last Online

Default Gear Update!!!

Ok, so the Tiny Terror is a great sounding amp. I love the tone and was in general very happy with it, except I really need two channels for the band. Tried boosting the leads with my Guitar's volume, but it just wasn't enough. Usually, I would just throw an EQ or something in the effects loop to boost the signal, but the TT doesn't have one, so guess what? Screwed. If I wanted an amp that I could use a a legitimate backup to my PRS, I would need a two channel.

Enter: the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18.

Traded my TT , and a recently unused loaded pickguard for it. Aside from it's clean design, and it lighting up the plexi front a pretty blue color, it has a lot of features that acutally make it perfect for a back up amp.

I'll start with the Pros:

-It has a built in Red Box. This will allow you to go from 18W, to 5W, to 1W, and to 0W

-It has an XLR out for recording or going direct to the board. You can set the output to 0W, and go direct to the board live with no speaker cabinet attached.

-It has a power tube bias management system. It's supposed to extend the life of your tubes by constantly adjusting the bias as your tube values start to degrade, always ensuring a balanced output.

-It has an effects loop, which is nice for an amp in this size and price range.

-It has a single output jack that does not require selection of ohms. You don't need to worry about making sure you don't plug your 8 ohm speaker into the 16 ohm jack, or forgetting to select the right ohms on a switch. It's simply set up to work with whatever ohm speaker cab you have.

-It really is quite cool looking, even when the blue LEDs are off, but when they are on, everybody oohs and aahs over it. I could really give a shit about it, but I hear more comments about how cool it looks than anything else.

The Cons:

-It's only a con if you care about this kind of thing. It's made in China. This isn't a big deal to me, since most of the things we buy that claim to be made in the USA have the vast majority of their internal electronic components made in China, and shipped here for assembly.

-It is very different sounding than traditional tube amps without any tube "sponginess". I don't really know how to put it into words. Some people call it a "Hi-Fi" tone. I would call it "Sterile", in a clean way, not in a bad way. It's not like it has a bad tone, it's like it has no tone of it's own. Its clean channel is a very true amplified representation of the instrument plugged into it. The EQ has the potential make your amp sound really bad. It's not like a Blackstar, where it's hard to find a setting that sounds bad. It's more like a Mesa, where you really have to invest some time to figure out where it really sounds good. That's not as much of a problem on the Clean channel, but the dirty channel requires some tweaking. The Lead channel is not particularly gainy, but the gain it does add is built off of the very processed sounding clean sound. The boost option on the Lead channel adds a modern sounding EQ curve to the lead channel, which is the most appealing area of the high gain sound of the amp on it's own. It still retains the very processed, sterile quality that I don't really care for. It would probably be perfect for a Metal player with EMGs in his guitar.

-No reverb. Not really a big deal, since I'm putting my ME-70 in the effects loop anyway. The combo version of this amp does have a reverb on it.

-It gets hot as fuck! I gigged with it Friday night, and after a set of playing on it, it's like a fucking toaster oven. I went to flip the switch to standby, and set my fingers on the top of the amp. That was a mistake. I'm not talking 2nd degree burns or anything, but it got my attention real quick.

So, at the end of the day, the pros outweigh the cons, and I have a capable, feature rich two-channel backup head. I know some of you are asking, "Hey, that's great, but if you don't care for the tone, what's the point of the amp?"

I have an answer for that. I dicked around with it at home and couldn't find a tone I really liked. I was about to give up on it, when I said, "You know what, I'm just gonna throw the BSIAB II in front of it and see what happens." Well, that was the answer. Because the amp is very transparent, it really worked well with the pedal in front of it. I run it in the clean channel for heavy rythym, and kick over to the lead channel (no boost) for the lead work. Gain up on my Clean channel, gain below halfway on the lead channel. When I kick off the BSIAB II, I'm on the clean channel, which is dynamic enough so that a light pick attack will be very clean sounding, but a heavy pick attack will break up a bit.

It is a very transparent, responsive and dynamic amplifier, which are qualities I look for. The problem is, it's almost too much of a good thing in some respects. I figured out how to make it work for me, which isn't that much different than how I run my PRS anyway, so I think she's a keeper. The fact that I can bring nothing but that little head in a bag as a backup amp is great.
    Last edited by nobozos; 10.12.14 at 06:46 AM.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Ok, so the Tiny Terror is a great sounding amp. I love the tone and was in general very happy with it, except I really need two channels for the band. Tried boosting the leads with my Guitar's volume, but it just wasn't enough. Usually, I would just throw an EQ or something in the effects loop to boost the signal, but the TT doesn't have one, so guess what? Screwed. If I wanted an amp that I could use a a legitimate backup to my PRS, I would need a two channel.

Enter: the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18.

Traded my TT , and a recently unused loaded pickguard for it. Aside from it's clean design, and it lighting up the plexi front a pretty blue color, it has a lot of features that acutally make it perfect for a back up amp.

I'll start with the Pros:

-It has a built in Red Box. This will allow you to go from 18W, to 5W, to 1W, and to 0W

-It has an XLR out for recording or going direct to the board. You can set the output to 0W, and go direct to the board live with no speaker cabinet attached.

-It has a power tube bias management system. It's supposed to extend the life of your tubes by constantly adjusting the bias as your tube values start to degrade, always ensuring a balanced output.

-It has an effects loop, which is nice for an amp in this size and price range.

-It has a single output jack that does not require selection of ohms. You don't need to worry about making sure you don't plug your 8 ohm speaker into the 16 ohm jack, or forgetting to select the right ohms on a switch. It's simply set up to work with whatever ohm speaker cab you have.

-It really is quite cool looking, even when the blue LEDs are off, but when they are on, everybody oohs and aahs over it. I could really give a shit about it, but I hear more comments about how cool it looks than anything else.

The Cons:

-It's only a con if you care about this kind of thing. It's made in China. This isn't a big deal to me, since most of the things we buy that claim to be made in the USA have the vast majority of their internal electronic components made in China, and shipped here for assembly.

-It is very different sounding than traditional tube amps without any tube "sponginess". I don't really know how to put it into words. Some people call it a "Hi-Fi" tone. I would call it "Sterile", in a clean way, not in a bad way. It's not like it has a bad tone, it's like it has no tone of it's own. Its clean channel is a very true amplified representation of the instrument plugged into it. The EQ has the potential make your amp sound really bad. It's not like a Blackstar, where it's hard to find a setting that sounds bad. It's more like a Mesa, where you really have to invest some time to figure out where it really sounds good. That's not as much of a problem on the Clean channel, but the dirty channel requires some tweaking. The Lead channel is not particularly gainy, but the gain it does add is built off of the very processed sounding clean sound. The boost option on the Lead channel adds a modern sounding EQ curve to the lead channel, which is the most appealing area of the high gain sound of the amp on it's own. It still retains the very processed, sterile quality that I don't really care for. It would probably be perfect for a Metal player with EMGs in his guitar.

-No reverb. Not really a big deal, since I'm putting my ME-70 in the effects loop anyway. The combo version of this amp does have a reverb on it.

-It gets hot as fuck! I gigged with it Friday night, and after a set of playing on it, it's like a fucking toaster oven. I went to flip the switch to standby, and set my fingers on the top of the amp. That was a mistake. I'm not talking 2nd degree burns or anything, but it got my attention real quick.

So, at the end of the day, the pros outweigh the cons, and I have a capable, feature rich two-channel backup head. I know some of you are asking, "Hey, that's great, but if you don't care for the tone, what's the point of the amp?"

I have an answer for that. I dicked around with it at home and couldn't find a tone I really liked. I was about to give up on it, when I said, "You know what, I'm just gonna throw the BSIAB II in front of it and see what happens." Well, that was the answer. Because the amp is very transparent, it really worked well with the pedal in front of it. I run it in the clean channel for heavy rythym, and kick over to the lead channel (no boost) for the lead work. Gain up on my Clean channel, gain below halfway on the lead channel. When I kick off the BSIAB II, I'm on the clean channel, which is dynamic enough so that a light pick attack will be very clean sounding, but a heavy pick attack will break up a bit.

It is a very transparent, responsive and dynamic amplifier, which are qualities I look for. The problem is, it's almost too much of a good thing in some respects. I figured out how to make it work for me, which isn't that much different than how I run my PRS anyway, so I think she's a keeper. The fact that I can bring nothing but that little head in a bag as a backup amp is great.
    Cool...

I auditioned the small H&K's myself a couple of days ago.... They come with a free foot pedal right now for the 30th anniversary or something like that...

We played it through the speakers of a fender twin with a BOSS distortion pedal... Sounded good, but we also tried a TINY at the 7 watt setting and I thought that sounded slightly better... More dirty

Probably going to choose the ORANGE TINY.... I just need a low-headroom amp for easy recording... They sound amazing cranked at low volume with 57... A much different situation to what you need it for....

Last Online

Default And even more gear updates.

If you have taken the time to read this thread, you know where we're at. If not, the short version is I'm currently running a H&K Tubemeister 18 through a 1x12 Cabinet with a Celestion 100W speaker in it. Couldn't find a tone I really liked until I put my BSIAB II in front of it. Until...

I replaced the 100W speaker with a Warehouse Guitar Speakers Reaper 30.

It was just what the doctor ordered. I tried it out with the BSIAB in front, but it didn't sound right, so I ran straight into the amp and adjusted my settings and it sounds great. I highly recommend this speaker. It's supposed to be a knockoff of a Celestion G12H30 Anniversary Edition. It's got the basics of that tone down, but I almost think it's a little louder and more articulate. Could be that the cone just isn't broken in yet.