Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

Default Building an 8 String Guitar

Thinking about building an 8 String guitar. Anyone here ever build an 8 string? If so, where did you get your neck, body and hardware from? Any gotcha's that you experienced, as compared to building a 6 string?

Any info you can share is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Scotty
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I spec'd out a 7 string build for a client a while ago (that I didn't end up ever actually building) but what I found out is that there are WAY less options for parts on a 7 string... you are pretty limited unless you have your own CNC machine / guitar shop and can run off 100% custom necks and bodies.

I would imagine it's even harder to source 8 string parts than a 7 string.

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've heard hipshot bridges get a lot of love for 8 strings. Dimarzio, Duncan, Bare Knuckle, and EMG all have some great 8 string pickups out, depends what you are going for. You might want to check out the sevenstring.org forums, they are more \m/ than the links, and there are always some amazing builds being posted.
    I have an RG8 and I'm not going to lie, it is really fun to play! Beyond the djents, there are some really cool chord voicings available and you can also play it like a chapman stick given the range and two extra strings. There may not be pre-fabricated necks and bodies out there yet, so I guess building your own depends on the tools and experience you have.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Jemsite.com might be a good place to checkout. I do remember one of the guys there made a swirled 8 string a few years back. He even made an 8 string floyd rose by cutting up 2 6 string floyds and wielding the back together.

I bet tons of people could help out there.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

"Yeah, yeah...That's great...Until someone comes out with a 9-string guitar...Right?"

Seriously.....I've heard of the cutting and rewelding thing done on bridges. It's a little more involved than that as welding generates shitloads of heat that will most likely take the temper out of the knife edges. When I weld up parts, I take precautions with special heat sinking materials that reduce some of the transfer that can anneal (de-temper) the metal. if they do too...great, but it can always be re-treated prior to chroming or anodizing. That would be a cool totally custom thing to do. There's lots of small fab shops that take on little odd jobs like that.
    Like the other guys said...Overall, options for necks and bodies can be somewhat limited, as the universal dimensional measurements are not up to say that of the typical Fender/Gibson standards for 6-strings that so many manufacturers use as the benchmark, unless you go through say, the same manufacturer who can jig up the tooling, and routing for proper accurate fitment of the neck and body. Of course an 8 string pickup....Maybe a rail type. (That'd be my choice) Of course a nut, either locking or not...If that's tough to find, then if worse come to worse, you could go the locking tuner/ w. roller nut combo route I suppose. Other than that, the overall premise is the same for electrical, and finish.
    Cool idea man. It sounds like it can be a great challenging project to take on.
    Last edited by we die young; 08.19.14 at 01:32 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

I should mention that back in the early 90's, a friend of mine who was a custom builder made some real oddities back in the day. He did a lot with BC Rich Bich and Warbirds. Custom string counts, tempered fret jobs, even cutting down guitars, doubling them to make double necks...The list went on.
    He made this custom bass that was a 10 string, and the top four strings were doubled with guitar wound bass strings so it played kind of like a 12 string guitar with the split octaves. I think Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam played something similar on Jeremy from 10. Kinda cool sound actually.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Didnt joe perry have a 10 string?
    BC I believe
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

What's the goal. More low end strings. or more high end strings?
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    Didnt joe perry have a 10 string?
    BC I believe
    Yes...Actually had two made I believe.