Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Do any of you really think he would even consider it? I sure dont. As much as he hates Sammy, has made fun of Sammy era VH and the stuff Sammy sang about? Eddie said that Sammy refused to sing any Dave songs and was reluctant to even sing Jump, Aint talkin bout love and Panama. He only wanted to do his stuff with them. I dont think Dave would sing Sammy songs, and i dont think he could be, or would be forced to. When Sammy joined, most of the live show was Sammy stuff and only a few Roth songs because Sammy wouldnt sing Dave's stuff, so i think it will be the same thing with Dave, except no Hagar songs at all! I mean, i would rather them do some old VH classic rockers that havent been played in years rather than hear "Dreams" or "Right Now" or something like that. I mean how long has it been since they did Ill Wait or something they havent done since the Dave years? I know they did do some rare ones with Gary though, which Sammy refused to do.

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

This topic makes me a bit nervous, because the last time I gave my opinion on this I was called a "fucker".

To start with, I see your point about not wanting to hear certain songs like Right Now and Dreams from Dave, but even if they did Sam tunes, I have to think they'd stay away from those songs and play lesser heard ones like Black and Blue, Summer Nights or Good Enough. I don't think they'd ever do Finish What Ya Started just because Sammy has been doing that solo since he left VH.

Having said all that, I don't think there's any chance that you'll hear Dave singing a Sammy tune. Better to leave it to Mikey to nail a couple of Sam era tunes while Dave grabs a breather.

------------------
    The Michael Jordan of Van Halen websites!!!
    www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:17 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    Better to leave it to Mikey to nail a couple of Sam era tunes while Dave grabs a breather.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Totally agree w/ Glenn, if VH wants to sing some of the Sammy era stuff have Mike do it.

I dont see Dave singing any Sammy songs, nor do I want to see Dave sing and Sammy songs.

VH has enough material w/ Dave to more than fill a couple of hours.

------------------
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    and thats about what its worth

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.06 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave will not be doing any sammy songs!!!!

nor would he want to.

Dave is back on his own term and would never agree to do any sammy songs.

even tho iw would like to hear him rip through 'summer nights' and 'good enough' or even 5150

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Why would Dave do Sammy era songs when almost everyone wants DAVE back in the band?

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree %100 with Bru87tr and Sactofan, i just do not think Dave would agree to do it, i almost know he wouldnt, and like Sactofan said, most people want Dave back and hear the old style VH again. I know ive heard enough of Van Hagar since 86 and more Dave tunes that we havent heard live for a while would be a releif, but hey thats just me.

As far as Michael Anthony singing Sammy songs, that has to be the most rediculous thing ive ever heard. Its like, ok we have a singer again, but he doesnt want to sing these Sammy songs so heres Michael Anthony for you to sing them while Dave takes a break. I just dont think that would come off good at all, but again, thats just me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.23.05 @ 03:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Dave would, without a doubt. I would also not expect them to do Signature Van Hagar songs. Sammy did do some big roth songs though. You never know with these guys! Nothing should shock us. I could see Dave singing Cabo just to spite Sammy. I would probably love it if he did. Since Sammy can't seem to sing it in concert.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SactoFan:
    Why would Dave do Sammy era songs when almost everyone wants DAVE back in the band?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because we still want to hear Van Halen material from 1986-1998.

------------------
    Fall in line, say the word...
    VHLinks Forum Moderator (Opinions)
    Up Front Fanatics!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Well, I would sooner have a Sammy song done then watch Dave do that "Samurai Sword" choreography from the 1984 tour. I would think that Dave will not do the main stay Sammy songs like "WCTBL" or "Right Now", but I don't think I am too far out of the realm of possibilites that they do something like "Summer Nights", "5150" or "Poundcake."

I think to deny all these songs is denying 11 years of success. I have a feeling Dave may bend a little if it means he gets to stay in the band. I think it is Eddie who may not want to do them out of spite.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

everybody wants some
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If this reunion is in fact happening (and I am officialy on the record saying that I don't think it will) then the one single operative word here is COMPROMISE.

Based on post '96 reunion fiasco official comment from both VH and DLR, a hell of a lot of concession is required from every participant (with the possible exception of Michael Anthony) for any kind of union to occur.

In the spirit of magnanimous cooperation it is absolutely within the realm of possibility for David Lee Roth to belt out a Sammy penned ditty.

That is if the reunion actually happens.

Last Online

09.04.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 62 Times in 32 Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again; Dave will not sing any Sammy songs. VH has to many well known songs with Dave, not to mention all the new songs from the new CD, to worry about pissing off Sammy fans. Everybody will come to see Dave do his thing and hear Dave era VH tunes. Especially songs that have been neglected, like Romeo Delight or Everybody Wants Some, so I don't really see too many people complaining about not hearing "When It's Love."

------------------
    I'm a spark on the horizon.
    ...stayin' round here takes patience, it's like a full time occupation...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Depends on what day it is
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glenn, you FUCKER!!! Just Kidding.

I wouldn't care to hear DLR doing any Slappy songs, but that's just because I don't like that era. Do I think it will happen? Never say Never. Stranger things have happened. Like Dave and VH getting back together. (fingers crossed).
    Howard Stern posed this question to DLR back in '96 and Dave said "...when the setlist is proposed there will be an arm wrestling match over it." Or something to that effect. So, he didn't say he wouldn't sing Sammy songs then. But circumstances have changed too. Hell their probably arguing about this as we speak...

------------------
    "It's all over but the SHOUTING...
    I've come to take what's mine!"

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They're not "Sammy's songs!" They are Van Halen songs. I know Sammy would have us believe he invented the wheel (and God knows he's old enough for that to be plausible.) They are Van Halen songs written by Edward, Mike and Alex! All Sammy ever gave us were lyrics that made Dr. Suess seem profound! Who is in who's shadow here? Dave will never shy away from anything. Though the childish lyrics are somewhat daunting, maybe Dave will work his magic and fix that. Call me a fucker... bring it on... I have no fear!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi - newbie here.

I got into VH back in 1985.

Back then, I was digging through the DLR back catalogue at more or less the same time as I was listening to the new Hagar stuff that was being released.

Though I prefer Roth, I don't mind admitting that I also enjoy some of Sammy's material.

To completely ignore 15 years of the bands history and music would be a sad, sad thing... - especially if it was only done out of spite.

There are post-1984 VH tracks that would suit DLR. Let's hear a mixture rather than Van Halen becoming their own tribute band!

Rich

P.S. I once saw VH with Sammy do a version of "Unchained" - it was crap.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, ADKOT
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 444 Times in 246 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Glenn:
    This topic makes me a bit nervous, because the last time I gave my opinion on this I was called a "fucker".

To start with, I see your point about not wanting to hear certain songs like Right Now and Dreams from Dave, but even if they did Sam tunes, I have to think they'd stay away from those songs and play lesser heard ones like Black and Blue, Summer Nights or Good Enough. I don't think they'd ever do Finish What Ya Started just because Sammy has been doing that solo since he left VH.

Having said all that, I don't think there's any chance that you'll hear Dave singing a Sammy tune. Better to leave it to Mikey to nail a couple of Sam era tunes while Dave grabs a breather.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fucker! j/k

I totally agree. I doubt we'll hear any Sam tunes but if they do, then Mike could do 'em. I thought he did a great job singing 'Doctor' but of course I don't expect Mike to sing any Dave songs that would be stupid.

I wouldn't be too bummed out if Dave took a break & Mikey whipped out a Sam tune or two. Although I am tired of hearing Sam-era tunes live, I would like to hear more classic VH tunes that Sammy's ego wouldn't allow. I could go without hearing the 4 classics that he did, Jump, Panama, YRGM & ATBL.

Later

------------------
    "We'll just blaze on & make the best possible music we can...Hopefully the fans will like everything we do."
    EVH-1986

"As a matter of fact, we're even gonna dedicate this next song....To all those people....Who make baggies."
    DLR-1976