Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 168 Times in 75 Posts

Default Does anyone else like the Dave and Sammy years equally?

I've only been on this site for a few months, and am very glad I found it. One thing I have quickly realized is that it appears that I am in the very small minority of VH fans who doesn't really have a favorite VH era (not including Gary, that stuff makes my ears bleed). I listen to both the Dave and Sammy albums/Songs equally, and honestly can't say I like one era more than the other. However, I do like certain things about each era more than the other (EVH during the Dave years for example). I'm sure to some this post is blasphemous, but I was just curious to see if anyone else feels the same about the two eras as I do.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:12 AM
    Liked 7,891 Times in 4,615 Posts

Premium Member

I prefer the music of CVH over Sam era. Having said that, In terms of live performing, I would rather have Sam at the mic.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I prefer the music of CVH over Sam era. Having said that, In terms of live performing, I would rather have Sam at the mic.

Ditto. I liked what Ed was doing more during the CVH years, but live no question I'd go with Ed, Al, MIKE and Sammy

So I guess I'd call it equal overall

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

I like it all. Just depends on what mood I'm in. There might be a slight edge to the Dave years...but only slight. I definitely like solo Sam and Chickenfoot too.

I'm thrilled they got back with Dave for what that meant to the making of ADKOT.

Slightly off topic, I like seeing them live, but I would trade that in for as many new albums as they could release.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

I like both eras almost equally, they both have huge bright spots in my memories. I try not to focus on the bad because it turns out that most of my youth was spent having good times while this music was playing in my head or on the radio so I just accept them both...it's just better that way.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Well the Dave years are untouchable in just about every way so I can't say I view both eras equally. But I will say I can pop in one of the Sam-era albums and get just as fired up as I can from one of the CVH albums. Depends on my mood. Those Sam years are loaded with vintage VH too but just in a different way. Ed's playing is ridiculous throughout those albums. Both eras are phenomenal, just not quite on an equal level with me.

That said, I really do believe Van Halen had a better run from 1986-1995 with Sam than they would have with Dave. Despite the epic year 1984 was I have serious doubts it would have continued without the change in direction the band took. Perfect timing to mix it up and in hindsight I'm convinced it was a blessing in disguise that they parted ways. I have no problem with how it played out. Two great bands with two great singers that delivered while they were there.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Top Of The World Loss of Bowel Control's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:47 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

I do. I’m an Ed guy. Love his music. I love what Dave did with it and Sam did with it. As a human race, we have a tendency to exhibit an “us vs. them” mentality (just check out the Play Ball or Music Only forums). I think people feel it defines them somehow. When I first came to this site, 12 years ago, I was shocked at some of the extreme hatred towards Sam (I still think a lot of it was the same people posting under several names). And if you liked the Sam stuff you were automatically labeled as anti-Dave. It was odd. Now, it seems, there is a lot more tolerance.

Personally, I love sitting down with my guitar, putting VH in shuffle mode, and playing along with whatever song pops up (changing guitars based on the tuning). I kinda feel bad for someone who can’t find that joy.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 168 Times in 75 Posts

I'm also an Eddie guy. I only got into VH because I started playing guitar back in high school, and when I asked my dad about some guitarists/bands I should start listening to, he said Van Halen. 10 years later, I enjoy playing both the Dave and Sammy stuff.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loss of Bowel Control View Post
    I do. I’m an Ed guy. Love his music. I love what Dave did with it and Sam did with it. As a human race, we have a tendency to exhibit an “us vs. them” mentality (just check out the Play Ball or Music Only forums). I think people feel it defines them somehow. When I first came to this site, 12 years ago, I was shocked at some of the extreme hatred towards Sam (I still think a lot of it was the same people posting under several names). And if you liked the Sam stuff you were automatically labeled as anti-Dave. It was odd. Now, it seems, there is a lot more tolerance.

Personally, I love sitting down with my guitar, putting VH in shuffle mode, and playing along with whatever song pops up (changing guitars based on the tuning). I kinda feel bad for someone who can’t find that joy.
    I think the majority on this site now are in this category. I am. VH has always been about Ed for me so as much as I loved VH up until Dave left I was never too butt hurt that he did. I bought 5150 the day it came out and loved it from the first spin. Then all the shit on MTV with the Unleashed special and things like that....all VH to me. I've never once held a grudge about Sam joining. No reason to. But if you're asking me whether I like both eras equally I can't really say yes. There is more of an emotional tie to CVH as a kid growing up and I just think that era is the VH. But that's not a knock on the Sam years at all. Those are great years.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

I like both eras fairly equally. I got into Van Halen during the Hagar years, so I have a bias towards Hagar. OTOH, I am glad Roth is back and I am happy with Sam solo and with Chickenfoot.

I started getting into Rush during the synth years, which is why I like Signals and Grace Under Pressure.
    I don't have a cool signature. Deal with it!

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:08 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I'm more of a Sammy fan but I think the Dave era was fantastic. I don't dislike anything they recorded from 78-95 at all....well, maybe a song or 2 but overall I think they put out 10 incredible records with 2 incredible singers. I just tend to identify with the Sam era more, maybe because I grew up on that era or because I just think Sam is a cool dude. I don't know.

lets put it this way: if I was stranded on an island I wouldn't be bummed out at all if all I had was the dave era records, I've listened to those for as long as I can remember.

The thing that bums me out about this bands fan base is people like to draw these imaginary lines in the sand and pretend that all the good music stops or starts when "thier guy" is at the mic. You go over to a site like the army and they all love van halen but only van halen when DAve is at the mic....I just don't think the good music stopped or started with dave. It changed but it was gonna change anyway. sam was just more open to that change. To me Dreams is 1 of my all time top VH songs, everything that I love about that band is contained in that song. I don't see how a dave era fan can listen to that and say it sucks. I also dont' see how a Sam fan can listen to something like Mean street and say it sucks. it's just a different side of the same coin to me.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

No surprise from me that I tip my hat to the Sammy era, but I do love both eras of Van Halen and listen to both daily.

I prefer Sammy's voice, musicianship, and personality to Dave's. I liked Sammy's and the band's live performances much better with Sammy. I appreciate immensely that Dave helped to launch the VH brand into stardom and I think he is a helluva studio man. I appreciate his clever twist of words and phrases. That being said, I find it even more impressive that Sammy not only helped Van Halen remain relevant but took them in new directions and to new heights.

Again, when listening to Van Halen on a daily basis, I choose my brand based on my mood. It's all good food, though.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

My favorite singer joined my favorite band when Sam joined. Never wanted Dave to leave, but was on board from go when Sam joined. Sam is the great equalizer for me. But Edwards playing during the classic years was untouchable.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

definitely equally

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

I like them both, the problem I usually have is when they bad mouth each other.

It usually happens when they interview Sam, but I really love all the VH albums.

Eddie is King.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.