Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Default VH 1 Paint Question

Quick question for you experienced stripers out there.

I'm considering creating a VH 1 tribute guitar from my black 1993 Strat. The idea is to make the pre-Floyd Rose version, and paint in the big stripes, while using black pin-striping for the small stripes.

Since I'm starting with a black body already, can I just tape it up and start painting the white over the black body, or do I need to do more?

I thought about using a black primer/paint combo to go over the black body first, but do I need to scuff sand the paint before I begin? I'm concerned if I do this, I will pull the black paint up that I just laid down when I pull the tape off.

I've also heard that after you apply the tape, you want to put down a coat of black before you start spraying the white. This is supposed to help avoid the white paint bleeding under the tape where the junctions of tape are. True?

Will Duplicolor adversely react to the already painted surface of the body that I have?

I'm still on the fence about whether I want to tackle this project with this guitar or not. I could buy an unfinished body and try it, but I would rather just use what I have. If I shouldn't try it with a finished body, please let me know.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

You definitely want to sand/scuff the finish on the guitar before you paint or prime. I suggest sanding away the clear coat and not using the current black finish. If you spray directly onto the original clear coat of the guitar, it's not gonna stick or cure properly.

If I were doing this project, I would probably sand down the clear enough to let paint stick, spray black, tape the stripes, spray a little more black to prevent bleeding, then spray white.

I hope this helped you, and please keep us posted with pics if you decide to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eruption
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 08:18 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Quick question for you experienced stripers out there.

I'm considering creating a VH 1 tribute guitar from my black 1993 Strat. The idea is to make the pre-Floyd Rose version, and paint in the big stripes, while using black pin-striping for the small stripes.

Since I'm starting with a black body already, can I just tape it up and start painting the white over the black body, or do I need to do more?

I thought about using a black primer/paint combo to go over the black body first, but do I need to scuff sand the paint before I begin? I'm concerned if I do this, I will pull the black paint up that I just laid down when I pull the tape off.

I've also heard that after you apply the tape, you want to put down a coat of black before you start spraying the white. This is supposed to help avoid the white paint bleeding under the tape where the junctions of tape are. True?

Will Duplicolor adversely react to the already painted surface of the body that I have?

I'm still on the fence about whether I want to tackle this project with this guitar or not. I could buy an unfinished body and try it, but I would rather just use what I have. If I shouldn't try it with a finished body, please let me know.
    Probably would depend on the black finish - nitro or poly?

Personally, if the black base is in great shape and you're committed to painting the guitar, I would try scuffing a small area on the back of the guitar with a 3m scuff pad (maroon color). You want to remove the gloss leaving the finish flat or dull. Preferably, if the tremolo cavity is finished, you can test there without worrying if the paint/lacquer testing will destroy the existing finish.

Tape a pattern and spray duplicolor white with multiple coats to achieve full coverage. Remove the tape and let it dry. Check how well the white adheres to the black. Did the white paint check or crack or causing lifting underneath? Does it feel gummy? If it looks OK and tests good mechanically, top the test area (black & white) with duplicolor clear. See if it causes any wrinkling or lifting of the black paint. Let it sit for a few days and check it again. If everything is OK, carefully remove the test area with sandpaper or use a small amounts of lacquer thinner on a rag. The paint is still "green" and should remove easily. Scuff the entire guitar and proceed with the stripes.

Remember to test a finished cavity area on the black guitar finish to see if lacquer thinner eats into the finish first, if so, you'll have to remove your test area with fine grit sandpaper without destroying the black base. Also use very light coats of paint and clear. Heavy coats have more solvent and more chance to cause paint crazing. You can also use 3m fine line tape to minimize paint bleed. Use a guitar pick along the edges and intersections where the tape overlaps to remove gaps. I've heard about the base color dust coating method but have never used it?

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Sounds like it would just be easier to start with an unfinished strat body. I think I'm just going to get the black single hum single volume pickguard and a frankenstein humbucker and install it on the strat for now. If i decide to go full-on VH-1, I can always paint up an unfinished body and transplant the parts to it.

In the meantime, I'll have a vh1 guitar minus the stripes.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.