Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Ebola

first it was a couple of medical workers being returned to the US to be treated, then it was a patient in a New York City hospital being tested for ebola.

Ebola was an 'over there" problem best used for content for thriller movies and books, until they brought it over here. Now for the first time, we have Ebola virus patients on US soil.

I'm kind of thinking that isn't a good idea. If we have Americans who have put themselves out there as care workers, certainly we owe it to them to assist them in any way we can. But bringing the Ebola virus onto US soil? No. They should have sent a mobile military hospital unit there to treat them.

Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the movies i've seen or my lack of understanding of the disease, but Ebola scares the hell out of me. Yeah I know you have to exchange bodily fluids in order to contract the disease, but when you have a deadly disease with no cure that is still not fully understood, it seems like there should be no reason to take a chance in infecting anyone else...let alone introduce it to a new continent

http://time.com/3048692/heres-what-y...-ebola-crisis/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Agreed.
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

We shouldn't be worried at all about the patients that were brought back to the CDC. Who we should be worried about are people who traveled to Africa and back like the person in New York who was tested today. That person likely doesn't have it, but it's not controlled patients we should be worried about. I am guessing there are many other people who came back to America around, just before, or just after the major outbreak started.

The ones we've brought back to America are citizens and they are controlled. They have been transported to a facility that has had Ebola for years, so they are not introducing it to a new continent. There have been no cases of Ebola being spread out of the CDC despite people working with it for years there. Further, Ebola is very hard to contract. You have to come into direct contact of the bodily fluids of an infected person, most especially their blood and feces.

Besides, when Americans feel ill, they go to a doctor. Americans would also submit to quarantine if needed. By contrast, many in these areas of Africa are less educated and therefore less likely to act like Americans as they confuse causation with correlation. What I mean is, the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/28/wo...ca-guinea.html) reported on armed villages in infected areas not allowing Doctors Without Borders to enter. Why? Because anywhere they'd been, a village had been infected with Ebola.

That level of understanding doesn't help much.

Anyway, everything I read about Ebola says that the level of care one receives is directly related to the survival rate. Staying hydrated and heading off symptoms is of major importance in that. I honestly don't have any problem with how this has been handled. Get them here where Ebola has been safely contained, get them the best treatment, and let them communicate with their families.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 08.04.14 at 11:40 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,340 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

One of my best friends mothers retired from the cdc here in Atlanta and that place is so locked down it's almost like Fort Knox. So many doors and decontamination policies it's pretty hard for someone to get something or let something out.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Doesn't matter.

I am sorry you want to venture out to areas of the world knowing various threats are out there, man or otherwise, then you are on your own. Just like some fuck who decides to climb a mountain during a storm.

There are so many ways we could have treated these people without knowingly bringing them to our shores. True anybody could fly here with the virus. However you still take precautions. What we are doing is like having sex with an HIV infected person but are wearing a rubber. Yes it should be safe but you can still get the virus

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,340 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    Doesn't matter.

I am sorry you want to venture out to areas of the world knowing various threats are out there, man or otherwise, then you are on your own. Just like some fuck who decides to climb a mountain during a storm.

There are so many ways we could have treated these people without knowingly bringing them to our shores. True anybody could fly here with the virus. However you still take precautions. What we are doing is like having sex with an HIV infected person but are wearing a rubber. Yes it should be safe but you can still get the virus
    While I agree it's making the best of a bad situation. If more people other than those here now come then yeah I ain't down with that.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

These people didn't just go over to Africa to joyride and start rubbing themselves in the blood and feces of any infected person they could find. Both are members of missionary organizations who were over there treating people because of the outbreak. One is a doctor. That's different than climbing a mountain in a storm. These are people who went to go help people stuck at the top of the mountain.

Anyway, the CDC has successfully kept Ebola from breaking out of facilities for years and years, despite people handling it and studying it day in and day out. So we a place that is working with the CDC that can treat them or we can treat them ...? You don't just leave these people to worse care in areas where we aren't sure how well the virus can be contained because people are scared.

Again, the level of treatment is in direct correlation with the survival rate. These two US citizens who risked their lives to help others are now going to get top medical care. This is the right thing to do for our citizens.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

we are doing is like having sex with an HIV infected person but are wearing a rubber. Yes it should be safe but you can still get the virus
    Its ABSOLUTELY nothing like that at all! Its not like these people were there kissing the sick and getting into bed with them being all irresponsible!

Its more like saying to one of your family members with HIV on Thanksgiving. "Hey dont bother coming over this year. We'll send you some Turkey and stuffing and we'll give you a call."

I imagine if this was one of your family members youd be glad to know theyre home and being treated by some of the best in the World as opposed to being in the country where they contracted the virus in some makeshift/mobile hospital where if a generator goes down, theyre basically fucked.

These people were doing humaitarian work virtually none of us here do. But when they get sick we're supposed to send help to them in the piss poor country where they got sick in the first place?!

Jesus.
    Last edited by MF5150; 08.05.14 at 06:56 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

Doesn't matter.

But these are Americans coming home, are they not? Do they not have the right to come home? Or do they lose their rights as citizens once they get sick?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Premium Member

If an American or groups of Americans pose a threat to the health or security of the United States, well whatever happens happens.

Just like the Air Force was going to (possibly might have) shot down one of the 9-11 planes.

Sorry but the possibility of having a pandemic outbreaks is greater than the lives of a few Americans.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

If an American or groups of Americans pose a threat to the health or security of the United States, well whatever happens happens.

Just like the Air Force was going to (possibly might have) shot down one of the 9-11 planes.

Sorry but the possibility of having a pandemic outbreaks is greater than the lives of a few Americans.
    so if you get really sick and are contagious, would you be ok with the government putting you on a plane and shipping you off to some island instead of being treated in a contained area of a hospital? You know, for public safety and all.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

The possibility of a pandemic breaking out from these two patients being brought back is next to none.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:36 PM
    Liked 7,878 Times in 4,604 Posts

Premium Member

Hyberbole at its worst.

I understand the "greater good" in certain circumstances, but in this case, that saddens me that anybody would think like this.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    so if you get really sick and are contagious, would you be ok with the government putting you on a plane and shipping you off to some island instead of being treated in a contained area of a hospital? You know, for public safety and all.
    Yes. 100% and not kidding about it.

I served in the military and was willing to sacrifice my life for the government. I certainly would sacrifice my life to prevent millions possibly from dying.

Yes i know the chance is slight but its there.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Yes. 100% and not kidding about it.

I served in the military and was willing to sacrifice my life for the government. I certainly would sacrifice my life to prevent millions possibly from dying.

Yes i know the chance is slight but its there.
    Well you're one in a million. We went through the SARS Epidemic here and I never heard anyone asking us to ship those infected to be shipped away.