Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Default 1990 - Were you expecting an album that year?

I remember 1990 being so quiet on the VH front. Back then ofcourse there was no 'net so we only had mags for the latest hot goss. The 3 year gap between "OU812" and "F.U.C.K" seemed like forever. The only 2 mags that had anything on VH In 1990 was "RIP" that had the cabo wabo opening and "Guitar world" had a Eddie interview.
    I was hoping by late '89 we'd get news an album was coming mid 1990. I was glad though "F.U.C.K" was worth the wait. Those were the times!!!!
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

I loved OU812 and I was eagerly anticipating their follow-up in 1990. I remember being somewhat disappointed having to wait three years for a new album, but I had a lot more patience before the Internet age.

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was a very different effort than I expected. The album as one entity had to grow on me, though I loved most of the songs, individually. The tour that ensued was absolutely amazing. In all reality they toured in support of this album for 3 years. I wish we would have had a new album in '93, instead of Live:RHRN.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 1,886 Times in 1,103 Posts

in 1990 I was a senior in HS and honestly that is the one time in my life (well since I was about 12) that I really didn't listen to rock music at all. I really didn't realize how much time had passed since OU812.

Looking back it would have been nice but as said above I wish they would have done an album in 1993 (a studio album) instead of the "live" record.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

As a Van Halen fan, this was probably the most dormant my love of all things Van Halen ever was. First, I had my first steady girlfriend, so all I cared about was finding places we could mess around. Next, believe it or not, at the time, OU812 wasn't really my favorite album. I may have talked about this before, but when I heard Black and Blue as the first single, I was really kind of turned off. I loved 5150. I loved "I Never Said Goodbye". I played the hell out of those cassette tapes. OU812 never did it for me then, though I've learned to appreciate a lot about the album now.

Three years seemed longer back then than it does now...which I suppose happens as you get older. I truly do remember wondering if they lost some fans with that long lay off. To think, they almost lost me! (Somehow, I remained a fan during the dark years - 1999-2007)

When I heard FUCK was coming out and heard the first single, "Poundcake", I wasn't wild about it either. I still don't love Poundcake for whatever reason. I thought the lyrics were kind of dumb. Anyway, once I purchased FUCK on CD, it was like a revelation. I was so happy...I loved it. Played the hell out of it. It was at that time I slowly replaced the first six albums (from cassette to CD).
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

In '90 I think my mindset was very similar to "Extreme Red Roth's" comments above. OU812 really faded from my personal playlist pretty quickly after it was released, Van Halen had really fallen out of favor as a personal favorite band and the Monsters of Rock tour was the first time since '77 that I skipped seeing a VH tour. '90 and '91 were pretty lean years for me seeing concerts, a big drop-off from the 80's when I was seeing about a dozen major shows a year and dozens more clubs shows every year.

When FUCK finally came out in the early Summer of '91, I really wasn't aware a new VH album was even coming out until about a week before it's street date. They had really dropped off my radar during that two year gap. The fact it was a much more solid album and better produced than OU812 really caught me off guard at the time.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

Poor production or not, OU812 kicks ass. The Monsters of Rock tour and the ensuing OU812 tour kicked ass. The boys were in a groove. The band had matured and they sounded tight live. Ed was still playing keyboards live, which I loved. Saw them in Indy for Monsters and in Lexington, KY for the first show of the OU812 tour. They debuted FWYS live and it kicked ass.

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:06 PM
    Liked 795 Times in 480 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    in 1990 I was a senior in HS and honestly that is the one time in my life (well since I was about 12) that I really didn't listen to rock music at all.
    Same here! 1989-1991. That's weird.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:07 AM
    Liked 6,984 Times in 5,017 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
    Poor production or not, OU812 kicks ass. The Monsters of Rock tour and the ensuing OU812 tour kicked ass. The boys were in a groove. The band had matured and they sounded tight live. Ed was still playing keyboards live, which I loved. Saw them in Indy for Monsters and in Lexington, KY for the first show of the OU812 tour. They debuted FWYS live and it kicked ass.
    I agree . OU812 was a kick ass record !
    I'm sooooo sick and tired of the standard "no bass , production sucks" comments .
    Or even worse - "it's so compressed" Pssst .

Good tunes on OU812 . The band was in high gear and living large
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

back in the early days of Napster I found this guy who had a folder called 'Van Halen Unreleased Warner Brothers Album 1990' (yes, really). .. I tried to download it off him but the connection was so bad it basically stalled before even starting. This guy would come online every now and then and it would auto connect and start downloading again but I never got anywhere, not even enough to play more than a split second of the first mp3 which was just a split second of silence. It was a folder with about a dozen tracks in it. Eventually this guy stopped coming online.

obviously I've never seen or heard of such a thing befofe or since. I would love to know what the hell that actually was.

edit - I'm pretty sure it was Napster, but it might have been soulseek

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

no worries about that here . we'll be online until the End .
    God Bless the Links
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

I wasn't expecting any record in 1990. In 1988 they played 30 dates on the Monsters tour, played another 50 on their own, then in 1989 they toured Japan for two months.
    They were going to hit the road a year and a half later with another record? Na, I knew that wasn't going to happen.

Of course they were gonna need a year off after that, and another year to make a record.

I thought the wait between FUCK and Balance was much worse.
    Last edited by PrideofPasadena; 08.02.14 at 11:45 PM.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:12 AM
    Liked 1,485 Times in 906 Posts

I wasn't expecting an album in '90.
    The one in '91 rocked though!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 PM
    Liked 1,970 Times in 448 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fat worm View Post
    back in the early days of Napster I found this guy who had a folder called 'Van Halen Unreleased Warner Brothers Album 1990' (yes, really). .. I tried to download it off him but the connection was so bad it basically stalled before even starting. This guy would come online every now and then and it would auto connect and start downloading again but I never got anywhere, not even enough to play more than a split second of the first mp3 which was just a split second of silence. It was a folder with about a dozen tracks in it. Eventually this guy stopped coming online.

obviously I've never seen or heard of such a thing befofe or since. I would love to know what the hell that actually was.

edit - I'm pretty sure it was Napster, but it might have been soulseek
    I wouldn't sweat it. Whatever those tracks were, they had to be tracks that collectors already have.

Last Online

02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it. Whatever those tracks were, they had to be tracks that collectors already have.
    guess so... hope so

if not then it could even have been some kind of hoax, albeit a strange one.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I wasn't fully expecting a new album in '90 . It would have been awesome , yet I was more than happy with '91's release !!!

Also factoring into the mix was that fact that Eddie was designing a new guitar and amplifier line , in addition to becoming a first time parent . There was a LOT going on after the release of OU812 and prior to F.U.C.K.

For Unlawful ... was a real milestone for the band IMO . The record sounded huge , had plenty of singalong choruses , and some nasty guitar work (in a very good way) - not to mention the great drum and bass sound. It's a staple from my later teen years and I'll always fly that flag at full mast