Favorite VH Album

All Classic DLR Era
    Favorite VH Song

All Classic DLR Era
    Last Online

09.12.17 @ 08:35 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 16 Posts

Default Bonham takes a swing at Alex Van Halen

I never heard this one before. Interesting.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/...s-john-bonham/
    I can't remember which comedian said it, about the current state of Van Halen, but he said right now, Van Halen is like a really hot playboy playmate with a prosthetic leg.

BRING BACK THE CLASSIC LINEUP!

I can't even have an opinion on ANYTHING anymore unless it's exactly what everyone else thinks...oh and if I do it means I HATE this album, and hope it fails. Man some of you can fuck off...seriously. - BRETT

"You make music for people. Otherwise, just play in your closet. And how do you reach the most people? By giving them the band that they know. To do it any other way would be selfish.” - EVH, June 19, 2015 Billboard Magazine

"That's a load of crap. The fans know Michael Anthony." - Me, regarding the above quote from EVH, June 19, 2015

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:31 AM
    Liked 7,853 Times in 4,586 Posts

Premium Member

That's funny.

Bonzo taking a swing at Al? Unbelievable and that's the first I've ever heard of anybody in either band, meeting each other.

If you think about it though, the "old guard" seemed intimidated by the awesomeness that was CVH.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

I love it. Wonder how Al felt playing Zep tunes after that?

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:22 AM
    Liked 11,754 Times in 6,511 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    That's funny.

Bonzo taking a swing at Al? Unbelievable and that's the first I've ever heard of anybody in either band, meeting each other.

If you think about it though, the "old guard" seemed intimidated by the awesomeness that was CVH.
    I'm guessing they were both drunk when it happened.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:40 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

I cant wait to read all the, "Bonham was shit anyways" posts in response to this..............

Last edited by MF5150; 07.30.14 at 04:52 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 6,837 Times in 3,577 Posts

Premium Member
    Too bad Bonzo didn't knock out all of Alex's shit eating grin teeth. Ed's new choppers might not have seemed so weird a few years ago.

JOHN BONHAM PLAYED DRUMS LIKE HE HAD TWO BROKEN HANDS!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

I wonder when and where this happened? Had to be in a narrow time frame between '78 - "79 for the first meeting and mere months before John Bonham's death in '80 when Alex "refused to shake (Bonham's) hand." My guess is one of VH's tours of the UK, maybe 1978 before Led Zep went on tour for "In Through The Out Door." It's well documented that Alex was a big fanboy of Led Zep and Bonham in particular and it couldn't have killed his love of the band considering VH played "Rock n' Roll" through the 5150 tour.

Alex had a long history of being an obnoxious goof during his drinking years but I'd bet Bonham was being his typically drunken overbearing self when these guys met. Just about everyone who has a story about Bonham mentions what an intimidating asshole the guy usually was.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 6,837 Times in 3,577 Posts

Premium Member

Jason Bonham has been hanging with Sammy a lot as of late. This is all obviously an exaggerated lie.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Seem to recall a story of EVH seeing Blackmore and Bonzo drinking at The Rainbow and when he approached them to say hello they gave him the cold shoulder. Maybe that had something to do with it.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 10,869 Times in 5,721 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    I wonder when and where this happened? Had to be in a narrow time frame between '78 - "79 for the first meeting and mere months before John Bonham's death in '80 when Alex "refused to shake (Bonham's) hand." My guess is one of VH's tours of the UK, maybe 1978 before Led Zep went on tour for "In Through The Out Door." It's well documented that Alex was a big fanboy of Led Zep and Bonham in particular and it couldn't have killed his love of the band considering VH played "Rock n' Roll" through the 5150 tour.

Alex had a long history of being an obnoxious goof during his drinking years but I'd bet Bonham was being his typically drunken overbearing self when these guys met. Just about everyone who has a story about Bonham mentions what an intimidating asshole the guy usually was.
    Seeing as they brought in Andy Johns specifically to get a "Bonham sound" for the drums on FUCK I doubt it had much impact on Al's appreciation for him as a drummer. That said, sometimes we look up to people for their skills and they turn out to be assholes as humans. I know there's a certain guitarist around that people like to lump into this category.

Let's face it, they were both probably drunk and if it really happened I doubt Al even remembers it.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Not surprising. Many of the English rockers aren't exactly a joy to be around.

Don't see this affecting Al's want to play Zeppelin tunes though.
    I could meet Ed tomorrow and he could be rude, calling me every name in the book, but I'm still going to listen to VH songs.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Way Too Difficult
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Not surprising. Many of the English rockers aren't exactly a joy to be around.
    Why? Is there something peculiar to English rockers that inhibits joy more than other nationalities? Just asking.
    Salt shaker, little lick a lime...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

There is a youtube clip from a radio show where Alex talk briefly about this incident. They all had a bit of a chuckle about it...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 55 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post

I think it happened in or around early '75 when Zeppelin were on one of their US tours. They typically based themselves in LA for much of the time, and they flew in and out to do dates elsewhere.

Eddie told a story as well about this meeting - he and Alex went up to say hello to Bonham at the Rainbow Bar & Grill on the Sunset Strip. Bonham was sitting at a table drinking with with Ritchie Blackmore. Eddie told Jas Obrecht that he or Alex went up to introduce themselves and said something to the effect of, 'Hey, we're playing in a band next door at Gazzarri's', and Bonham threateningly told them to fuck off.

Zeppelin toured the US in early 75 and next in 77 - by then Van Halen had finished at Gazzarri's, so assuming Ed was recounting the tale with a good memory, it would have likely been Jan-March '75.

It's recounted in the book, Van Halen: Exuberant California, Zen Rock'n'Roll, chapter two, which is all about Sunset Strip in the 70s (I am the author of that book) - and the Jas Obrecht source is referenced there.
    Last edited by barbedbob; 07.31.14 at 02:33 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:15 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

That's funny.

If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney