Do I see an EBMM on the workbench!
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.05.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

It does look like an EBMM and the Floyd hanging off the side looks like the Gotoh Music Man uses. I remember someone said they heard he still used the Music Mans in the studio. In my opinion they are the best sig guitars he has had. I have had a few of the USA Peavey Wolfgangs, a few Music Mans and one of the new USA EVH Wolfgangs. The Music Man is the hands down winner with the Peavey a close 2nd.
    Last edited by 73watermutt; 07.21.14 at 06:53 AM.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yup, there was a thread where we discussed this a while back. Somebody even made a different version of this pic for a "spot the differences game," with things like a Sammy Hagar VOA album cover hidden in there.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I own a Peavey Wolfgang (special, but still same pickups as original) and have played an Axis in my local GC many times, and the Axis is way better IMO. If I had the money, I'd snap up an EVH in a heartbeat without even thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 168 Times in 75 Posts

I own a new EVH Wolfgang, and have played a few peavey wolfs and Axis' at local music stores. My EVH felt and played much better than those. Granted, they were used and had been in a store for a while, but they didn't feel right to me. That being said, I would love to get an Axis down the road or and EVH music man if I found one for the right price.

Last Online

11.01.14 @ 11:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

lol god forbid EVH do some maintenance on a guitar that at one point was his main recording AND touring guitar.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HughMyrone View Post
    lol god forbid EVH do some maintenance on a guitar that at one point was his main recording AND touring guitar.
    And still records with it...
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 73watermutt View Post
    It does look like an EBMM and the Floyd hanging off the side looks like the Gotoh Music Man uses. I remember someone said they heard he still used the Music Mans in the studio. In my opinion they are the best sig guitars he has had. I have had a few of the USA Peavey Wolfgangs, a few Music Mans and one of the new USA EVH Wolfgangs. The Music Man is the hands down winner with the Peavey a close 2nd.
    This is news to me. I've never heard he still uses the EBMM. I suspected he used the pickups in his early Peaveys. Unitl the III tour. Then I clearly heard PV pickup in his Wolfgangs.

And yes. The EBMM is the best. Based on that neck alone it wins. It's like he took the neck off his Kramer 5150 and gave it to you. Closest you'll ever get to owning his actual Kramer.

In my experience the early production Wolfgangs were very good.

I own one Axis, two PV Wolfgang Archtops and one EVH USA Stealth. If I were going in the studio tomorrow I'd bring the Axis.

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

If he still uses the EBMM, you'll never hear it out of his mouth, that's for sure. I've had three of the EVHs, still have one and two Axis Tributes. I've had an EVH Wolf Special and still have a Peavey Wolf Special. The EBMMs win hands down every day. The pickups sound better, the toggle switch doesn't get in my way when tapping and the necks are a work of art. However, I did get to play one of the very first Kramer Barettas ever made and its neck was nothing at all like the EBMM EVHs. The EVH necks are much smaller.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

Here's a question for all the EVH EBMM owners . Do any of you find that the placement of the toggle switch 'gets in the way' as Eddie once claimed ? I've only held one in my hands once , when a customer brought one into the music store for some setup/TLC work . Not enough time to really noodle with it and it wasn't even plugged in ...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

How can the toggle switch get in your way on the EBMM EVH? Now, those toggle switches do go bad. I've replaced mine a few times. But it never gets in my way. With the Wolfs it always gets in my way if I want to tap. Obviously, it's no problem for King Edward, but I've almost been moved to tape the damned thing in place. My right wrist always hits it when I tap.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

It's all in your personal technique. I don't have an EBMM EVH, but I do have a custom Jazzmaster with a similar switch position, and I accidentally hit that switch all the time. But Wolfgangs and Strats/Teles are fine for me, tapping included.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhMcG View Post
    Here's a question for all the EVH EBMM owners . Do any of you find that the placement of the toggle switch 'gets in the way' as Eddie once claimed ? I've only held one in my hands once , when a customer brought one into the music store for some setup/TLC work . Not enough time to really noodle with it and it wasn't even plugged in ...
    quick answer...no

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    How can the toggle switch get in your way on the EBMM EVH? Now, those toggle switches do go bad. I've replaced mine a few times. But it never gets in my way. With the Wolfs it always gets in my way if I want to tap. Obviously, it's no problem for King Edward, but I've almost been moved to tape the damned thing in place. My right wrist always hits it when I tap.
    I just remember Eddie mentioning that in an interview . I've posted on other VH sites about it too . Ed was crucial to the design of the EBMM . There were obviously several prototypes built . Why only after it's official release , did he make a remark about the toggle switch being a nuisance ? It always struck me as a bit odd ... I totally relate to the reverse up/down wiring for the Wolfgang guitars . A typical Les Paul style (for example) has me hitting the switch when tapping or using tap harmonics .

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    It's all in your personal technique. I don't have an EBMM EVH, but I do have a custom Jazzmaster with a similar switch position, and I accidentally hit that switch all the time. But Wolfgangs and Strats/Teles are fine for me, tapping included.
    Exactly !
    Eveyone has their own technique and way of feeling comfortable on the instrument . I watch a guy like Doug Aldrich doing all the normal right handed stunts on a Les Paul with ease . I go to try them ? I've switched the bridge pickup to the neck , by accident , within 3 seconds ... Haha
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhMcG View Post
    I just remember Eddie mentioning that in an interview . I've posted on other VH sites about it too . Ed was crucial to the design of the EBMM . There were obviously several prototypes built . Why only after it's official release , did he make a remark about the toggle switch being a nuisance ? It always struck me as a bit odd ... I totally relate to the reverse up/down wiring for the Wolfgang guitars . A typical Les Paul style (for example) has me hitting the switch when tapping or using tap harmonics .

Exactly !
    Eveyone has their own technique and way of feeling comfortable on the instrument . I watch a guy like Doug Aldrich doing all the normal right handed stunts on a Les Paul with ease . I go to try them ? I've switched the bridge pickup to the neck , by accident , within 3 seconds ... Haha
    He only said that to justify having to make something that wasn't an exact copy.
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.