Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 16,465 Times in 9,328 Posts

Default Check it out ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 1,460 Times in 896 Posts

I wonder if we'll have a Dave vs. Sammy discussion here? I'm sure there has never been one.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

interesting how Brian Johnson replacing Bon Scott is referred to twice during that countdown, but it doesn't even get a place in the top 10. and it's true...DC fans generally don't have a problem with Brian vs Bon. even on youtube comments (which tend to bring out the bitch in everyone) I think I've only ever seen one squabble. click on any Halen vid and you already know what time it is in the comments!

on a side note Blaze Bayley should never have left Wolfsbane for Maiden. Woflsbane was the band he was born to be in, one of the most kick ass hard rock groups ever, he just didn't sound right in Iron Maiden IMO

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,636 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fat worm View Post
    interesting how Brian Johnson replacing Bon Scott is referred to twice during that countdown, but it doesn't even get a place in the top 10. and it's true...DC fans generally don't have a problem with Brian vs Bon. even on youtube comments (which tend to bring out the bitch in everyone) I think I've only ever seen one squabble. click on any Halen vid and you already know what time it is in the comments!

on a side note Blaze Bayley should never have left Wolfsbane for Maiden. Woflsbane was the band he was born to be in, one of the most kick ass hard rock groups ever, he just didn't sound right in Iron Maiden IMO
    It makes a big difference that Bon died. I'll bet you would have seen a huge divide if Bon had simply left or been kicked out of AC/DC for Johnson. With Van Halen and Black Sabbath and so many others fans had to accept the new guy knowing that it was still technically possible for the previous guy to be there. That makes some people bitter.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

VH still seems to have the most contentious line-up change, IMO. I have loved VH since their debut in '78 when my older brother introduced me. I have probably listened to Van Halen every day since I was 8. I appreciate the six-pack immensely and listen to those records often, along with ADKOT. I think I am in the minority, when I say that I loved the line-up change in '85. It wasn't something I got used to, I welcomed it. I liked Sammy much more as a lead singer than Dave prior to the former's arrival and the latter's departure. When I saw them live in Louisville on the 5150 tour it solidified my hunch that Van Halen was going to be wildly successful with Hagar at the helm. I had seen VH three times with Roth and I honestly had never seen that much energy on a Van Halen stage before.

When Sammy departed, I was devastated. I was pretty naive about VH truly being like a family once Sammy joined. The Van Halen brothers' behavior disappointed me terribly. It was then that I came to respect Dave a lot more. Sammy and Dave told similar stories and remained consistent, while the brothers flailed around with inconsistent stories chauked with delusional paranoia.

Van Halen is mythical and legendary: less real than what we have all imagined. Still, I love them. I know Sammy is never coming back, and that's okay. I still lament what could have been in 1996 or in 2004, but I am happy that Dave is there if Sammy cannot be.
    Last edited by Redfoot; 07.18.14 at 06:14 PM.

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

Contentious? Well, I would say the most successful lead singer switch ever. ACDC sure had a great switch from singer to singer. But only VH has the biggest change where both are ultra successful. Of course, take away the #1 sales in the first week stat with Sam, and Daves were much more successful. But still, very impressive.
    Right here I say....

Last Online

02.10.17 @ 03:20 AM
    Liked 332 Times in 182 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    It makes a big difference that Bon died. I'll bet you would have seen a huge divide if Bon had simply left or been kicked out of AC/DC for Johnson. With Van Halen and Black Sabbath and so many others fans had to accept the new guy knowing that it was still technically possible for the previous guy to be there. That makes some people bitter.
    I hear that. but you could look at it the other way - Bon Scott died Feb '80, and by July '80 they'd alrerady replaced him and Back In Black was out. that could definitely have been seen as 'disrespectful' to Scott's memory in some ways... with VH it wasn't a case of Roth being kicked out overnight and then suddenly "here's Sammy!". It clearly wasn't working with Roth and him staying might've been worse in the long run

for the record I love both eras of both bands

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
    Of course, take away the #1 sales in the first week stat with Sam, and Daves were much more successful. But still, very impressive.
    Yeah, but you can't take away the first week stats--they are here to stay. And that Grammy was damn impressive too.

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
    Yeah, but you can't take away the first week stats--they are here to stay. And that Grammy was damn impressive too.
    Justin Bieber. Taylor Swift. Nsync have #1 albums and sales. But I am happy they were wildly successful still w the change.
    Last edited by thismusicsux; 07.19.14 at 08:39 AM.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    Justin Bieber. Taylor Swift. Nsync have #1 albums and sales. But I am happy they were wildly successful still w the change.
    And your point? Justin Timberlake is one of the most talented entertainers of our age. Taylor Swift is an excellent song writer. Please don't put Justin Bieber in the same category as JT and T-Swizzle.

Just answer the following question. How many number one albums has Van Halen had without Sammy Hagar at the helm?

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 16,465 Times in 9,328 Posts

And your point? Justin Timberlake is one of the most talented entertainers of our age. Taylor Swift is an excellent song writer. Please don't put Justin Bieber in the same category as JT and T-Swizzle.

Just answer the following question. How many number one albums has Van Halen had without Sammy Hagar at the helm?
    How many "Diamond" albums has Van Halen had without David Lee Roth at the helm? None of the Sammy-era VH albums would have gone number one if they had been released when "1984" was and had to contend with "Thriller".
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

For me, I don't care for #1 albums . And I don't agree those artists mentioned are very good. Well Swift and JT have some ok songs... I won't say they are complete crap (I don't care for it though) -- but I don't care for POP music. Plus most of those artists have a team of songwriters penning those gems.

Just saying tons crappy bands have #1 albums, along w other great bands. It means your band if very popular with the masses. So that doesn't do much for me.
    Last edited by thismusicsux; 07.19.14 at 09:52 AM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts

Donor

Here's a new way to look at the Van Halen lead singer changes:

When Sammy replaced Dave in '85, the band thankfully continued to be hugely successful. (But not necessarily more successful than before). So the switch from Dave to Sammy was kind of a sideways move in commercial success, not up or down.

Then of course Gary replacing Sammy lead to a huge downturn in popularity.

The two times when VH made a lead singer change that lead to greater commercial success ($) was when Sammy replaced Gary in 2004, and then again when Dave replaced Sammy in 2007.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:36 PM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

hah! that's a beautiful post and completely sums up the "Van Halen Paradox"