Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Default Malaysia Airliner shot down in Ukraine

The shit is going to hit the fan

MOSCOW, July 17 (Reuters) - A Malaysian passenger airliner with 295 people on board crashed in Ukraine near the Russian border, Interfax cited an aviation industry source as saying on Thursday.

It said the Boeing plane was flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur. Reuters could not immediately confirm the Interfax report.

MORE NEWS TO FOLLOW

A Malaysian airliner was shot down over eastern Ukraine by militants on Thursday, killing all 295 people aboard, a Ukrainian interior ministry official was quoted as saying by Interfax-Ukraine news agency.

The aircraft, which other sources said was a Boeing 777 flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, came down near the city of Donetsk, stronghold of pro-Russian rebels, Anton Gerashchenko said, adding that it was hit by a ground-to-air missile.

There was no further confirmation of the report, although Ukrainian officials said local residents had found wreckage.

Malaysia Airlines said on its Twitter feed it had lost contact with its flight MH-17 from Amsterdam. "The last known position was over Ukrainian airspace," it said.

Gerashchenko was quoted as saying: "A civilian airliner travelling from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur has just been shot down by a Buk anti-aircraft system ... 280 passengers and 15 crew have been killed."

Interfax-Ukraine quoted another Ukrainian official as saying the plane disappeared from radar when it was flying at 10,000 metres (33,000 feet), a typical cruising altitude for airliners.

It came down at Torez, near Shakhtersk, some 40 km (25 miles) from the Russia border. The area has been the scene of fighting between Ukrainian troops and pro-Russian rebels.

Ukraine has accused Russia of taking an active role in the four-month-old conflict in recent days and accused it earlier on Thursday of shooting down a Ukrainian fighter jet - an accusation that Moscow denied
    Last edited by Dick Punch; 07.17.14 at 09:00 AM.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 412 Times in 247 Posts

If Im the head of Malaysian Airlines, Im basically closing up shop ASAP.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    If Im the head of Malaysian Airlines, Im basically closing up shop ASAP.
    If I held tickets for a Malaysia flight with the number 7 in it, I am asking for a refund.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

These morons are going to start WW III if they aren't careful.

Reports are that it was shot down with an advanced weapons system that fired a ground to air missile--this wasn't any shoulder fired RPG that got lucky.

I heard another report that said that there were 23 Americans on board. If that's true, this thing just escalated even further.

Here's what I think happened. Russia supplied anti-aircraft systems to these "separatists" thinking they would use them against Ukraine. In fact, they did just a couple of days ago when they shot down a Ukrainian military cargo plane that killed 8 passengers. That one was at 21,000 feet. Now a couple days later, a large passenger plane (that has a similar radar signature) is seen entering Russian air space at 33,000 feet, and BOOM.

On NBC and CNN they said a Russian Separatist leader sent out a tweet just before the reports rolled in saying "we told you not to fly in our air space," and something about there now being a "downed bird." Those morons probably thought they shot down a Ukrainian Cargo plane and are now shitting their pants realizing what they did.

That's the best case scenario.

Worst case scenario is that this was a reaction to the sanctions the US put on Russian arms manufacturers--ones that supply air-to-ground missiles. I can't believe Putin would be that stupid, so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, but you can't completely discount it.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 6,695 Times in 3,715 Posts

this is going to get incredibly ugly. The west needs to cripple the Russian economy until they understand how to act.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post

Reports are that it was shot down with an advanced weapons system that fired a ground to air missile--this wasn't any shoulder fired RPG that got lucky.

I heard another report that said that there were 23 Americans on board. If that's true, this thing just escalated even further.

Here's what I think happened. Russia supplied anti-aircraft systems to these "separatists" thinking they would use them against Ukraine. In fact, they did just a couple of days ago when they shot down a Ukrainian military cargo plane that killed 8 passengers. That one was at 21,000 feet. Now a couple days later, a large passenger plane (that has a similar radar signature) is seen entering Russian air space at 33,000 feet, and BOOM.

On NBC and CNN they said a Russian Separatist leader sent out a tweet just before the reports rolled in saying "we told you not to fly in our air space," and something about there now being a "downed bird." Those morons probably thought they shot down a Ukrainian Cargo plane and are now shitting their pants realizing what they did.

Worst case scenario is that this was a reaction to the sanctions the US put on Russian arms manufacturers--ones that supply air-to-ground missiles. I can't believe Putin would be that stupid, so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, but you can't completely discount it.
    If this is true I fear what this lame duck president will do, his foreign policy has been terrible. What the hell is Malaysia airlines thinking flying over a warzone where a cargo plane was just shot down 2 days ago anyways?
    Hedberg

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post

I'd like to think it was a miss que from the separatists thinking it was a cargo plane.....I like you just would have a hard time believing it was a Putin decision. This plane was flying from Amsterdam, which in itself a HUGE problem for Putin regardless of weather it was a rebel group, or some retaliatory move by Russia. Germany's ties to Holland are going to bring a great deal of pain upon Russia, if for no other reason then to let this crap escalate to this point.

Most likely, there will be immediate tougher sanctions, but these are the sketchy events where things can really get out of control in a hurry with the blame game in full swing.

Just a prediction, but if this did go down as it is said to have, then I imagine when the political rhetoric heats up over the next hours/days, you're gonna see an about face, and Russia will turn on the "Rebels", reigning them in, and work with Ukraine to "stabilize the region".

As soon as civililians from another non involved region are involved, watch out.
    It's with great sadness for the loss of these innocent people, that this has the potential to be a turning point.
    Let's hope it goes in the right direction, and their loss was not entirely in vein.....As fucked up as that just sounded.
    Last edited by we die young; 07.17.14 at 11:24 AM.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 6,841 Times in 3,580 Posts

Premium Member

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I just read a theory that they may have been trying to shoot down Putin's plane. Not sure how true it is.

Malaysian Airlines MH17 plane was travelling almost the same route as Russia’s President Vladimir Putin’s jet shortly before the crash that killed 295, Interfax news agency reports citing sources.

“I can say that Putin’s plane and the Malaysian Boeing intersected at the same point and the same echelon. That was close to Warsaw on 330-m echelon at the height of 10,100 meters. The presidential jet was there at 16:21 Moscow time and the Malaysian aircraft - 15:44 Moscow time,” a source told the news agency on condition of anonymity.

"The contours of the aircrafts are similar, linear dimensions are also very similar, as for the coloring, at a quite remote distance they are almost identical", the source added.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    I just read a theory that they may have been trying to shoot down Putin's plane. Not sure how true it is.

Malaysian Airlines MH17 plane was travelling almost the same route as Russia’s President Vladimir Putin’s jet shortly before the crash that killed 295, Interfax news agency reports citing sources.

“I can say that Putin’s plane and the Malaysian Boeing intersected at the same point and the same echelon. That was close to Warsaw on 330-m echelon at the height of 10,100 meters. The presidential jet was there at 16:21 Moscow time and the Malaysian aircraft - 15:44 Moscow time,” a source told the news agency on condition of anonymity.

"The contours of the aircrafts are similar, linear dimensions are also very similar, as for the coloring, at a quite remote distance they are almost identical", the source added.
    if this is the case then the world won't have to deal with the rebels. this will be a mass slaughter by the Russian army.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    if this is the case then the world won't have to deal with the rebels. this will be a mass slaughter by the Russian army.
    They're good at that...

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post

Wow , that's wild !

Agreed . It this rumor is true ? Vengeance will be swift IMO .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    They're good at that...
    and the world won't lift a finger to stop them if this is true (although i doubt the story)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

and the world won't lift a finger to stop them if this is true (although i doubt the story)
    Nope -- slaughter away. Just tell us when you're done.

I'm relieved that for once there's some heavy shit going down we don't have anything to do with...at least I sure as hell hope not. I know there were Americans on board, but there's Americans on every plane. I honestly think the rebels majorly fucked up. They made a huge mistake -- they shot down a non-military civilian craft. Whoa boy -- did they fuck up BAAAAAAAD. Anything at all they had to bargain with is now incinerated. They're done. Expect a massive local war soon.

And please let us not get involved AT ALL this time.