Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

Default CDC: Nation's Percentage of Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals Less than Supposed

The Washington Post reports that a highly definitive study from 2013 has pegged the size of the gay population in the United States at far less than has sometimes been estimated.

The National Health Interview Survey by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which is the federal government’s most relied upon estimate of the nation’s health and behaviors, found that fewer than 3% of respondents self-identified as gay, lesbian, or bisexual. Only 1.6% of respondents self-identified as gay or lesbian, and even less, 0.7%, self-identified as bisexual.

The estimate of the percentage of bisexuals was lower than the 2008 General Social Survey, which estimated that number at 1.1 percent, while other surveys have intimated that the percentage of bisexuals is the same as gays.

Conversely, 96.6% self-identified as straight, while 1.1% answered, “I don’t know the answer” or stated they were “something else.”

Gary J. Gates, a demographer at the Williams Institute, a research center at the University of California at Los Angeles that studies the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) population, acknowledged, “This is a major step forward in trying to remedy some of these gaps in our understanding of the role sexual orientation and gender identity play in people’s health and in their lives.”

The study was first done in 1957; the Census Bureau conducts it and sends the data to the CDC. It is widely considered highly reliable; the 2013 survey interviewed 33,557 adults between the ages of 18 and 64 using face-to-face interviews with additional telephone questions. The questions ranged from medical care and vaccinations to tobacco use. Government health officials champion the NHIS survey because the population studied is so large.

Brian W. Ward, the researcher for the report, said some of the other findings included:

•Gays were more likely to smoke or have five or more drinks in one day than straights.
    •More straight women considered themselves in excellent or very good health than lesbians did of themselves.
    •More gays were likely to have had a flu shot than straights; gay men were not as overweight as straight men.
    •Bisexuals were more likely to have suffered psychological distress in the last month than straights.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...washingtonpost

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...-Than-Supposed

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis.htm
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

•Gays were more likely to smoke or have five or more drinks in one day than straights.
    Shit! I think I might be gay.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post

Me too!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:47 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

A gay smoking a fag, huh? Who'd a thunk it
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I have a gay cousin. Not too long ago, he said something on FaceBook about 10% of the world being gay. I had to reply because in what I've seen and read, I would approximate 3-4% of folks are homosexual, maybe 6% at the very, very most. He got all up in my face and cited that "10% of the population is gay" thing that Kinsey said the 1970's or 80's. Now, I'm not one to discredit something because it was said decades - or even centuries - earlier, but every sociological-based study I've ever read on the subject indicated a low, single-digit number, such as 3. Or 4. Or 5. Usually 3 or 4.

Note: I'm most interested in religion and science as compared to sociology, but I'm always interested in sociological issues related to current events.
    Last edited by Metal Marc; 07.16.14 at 04:22 PM.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Only 3%????

Are they ALL on television?
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 6,968 Times in 5,004 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Having 5 drinks is the determining factor ? Damn ... I guess I'm a 'flamer' too
    Wonder how my gf of 3 years is gonna take the news ? Haha
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 6,968 Times in 5,004 Posts

Premium Member

On a literally related note , I have a cousin who's gay . He's a well built good looking kid , and he's been with more than a few women . He decided for himself that he likes being with guys more . I don't have a problem with that . To each their own ...

I've been with girls who've been with other girls in the past , and I certainly don't have a problem with that either !
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora