Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:12 AM
    Liked 11,775 Times in 6,522 Posts

Premium Member

Default Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder launches anti-Israel diatribe during concert

I guess a Pink Floyd/ Pear Jam tour is on the way?

Famed rocker denounces “those who go across borders and take over land that doesn’t belong to them.”

According to The Pulse Of Radio, PEARL JAM singer Eddie Vedder has come under fire for an impassioned anti-war speech he made in England on Friday night (July 11) that some fans interpreted as being aimed at Israel. Vedder's critics say that the artist has accused Israel of war-mongering in the current escalating military situation with Palestine. The Jerusalem Post called the speech an "anti-Israel diatribe" and printed reactions from fans in Israel, including rock radio DJ Ben Red, who was behind a campaign to get PEARL JAM to come perform in Israel but now has said, "Eddie Vedder, your true face is finally being revealed. You are invited not to come here. I personally do not want to see you, and I will erase the Facebook page calling on bringing (PEARL JAM) to Israel, but not before I expose who you really are."

The politically outspoken Vedder told The Pulse Of Radio a while back that he used to be reluctant to voice his opinion earlier in his career. "I've always been wary, you know, speaking from some kind of a podium as a singer in a rock band," he said. "First of all, I think it's ridiculous that it should be left to the singers of rock bands to have to bring up these issues. But then again, the arts are always going to reflect society, and there could be a responsibility there."

Swigging from a wine bottle — as usual during a PEARL JAM show — Vedder said in his speech (see video below), "What the fuck? What the fuck? We can have this many people having a peaceful time. We can have modern technology. We can reach our friends. We know what they're thinking before they're thinking it. The advertisers know what we're thinking before we're thinking it. We have technology — all this in our hands. At the same time that something this positive is happening, at the same fucking time, not even that far away, they're fucking dropping bombs on each other. What the fucking fuck?"

Vedder continued, "I swear to fucking God, there are people out there who are looking for a reason to kill! They're looking for a reason to go across borders and take over land that doesn't belong to them. They should get the fuck out, and mind their own fucking business... Everyone wants the same goddamn thing: to have our children, eat, procreate, draw a painting, make some art, listen to music, fuck some more, have another baby, eat, work, eat, work, love, love, love, everyone's the fuckin' same! So why are people at war? Stop the fucking shit, now! Now! Now! We don't want to give them our money. We don't want to give them our taxes to drop bombs on children! Now! No more! Now!"

Vedder then dropped to his knees to beg for peace, leading the audience in a rendition of Edwin Starr's "War".

Fans have both defended and attacked Vedder on his Facebook page.

(Remarks begin at 4:10 mark)

http://www.jpost.com/Arts-and-Cultur...concert-362556

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/pea...Z2XHtcFy0Rs.99
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I guess a Pink Floyd/ Pear Jam tour is on the way?

Famed rocker denounces “those who go across borders and take over land that doesn’t belong to them.”

According to The Pulse Of Radio, PEARL JAM singer Eddie Vedder has come under fire for an impassioned anti-war speech he made in England on Friday night (July 11) that some fans interpreted as being aimed at Israel. Vedder's critics say that the artist has accused Israel of war-mongering in the current escalating military situation with Palestine. The Jerusalem Post called the speech an "anti-Israel diatribe" and printed reactions from fans in Israel, including rock radio DJ Ben Red, who was behind a campaign to get PEARL JAM to come perform in Israel but now has said, "Eddie Vedder, your true face is finally being revealed. You are invited not to come here. I personally do not want to see you, and I will erase the Facebook page calling on bringing (PEARL JAM) to Israel, but not before I expose who you really are."

The politically outspoken Vedder told The Pulse Of Radio a while back that he used to be reluctant to voice his opinion earlier in his career. "I've always been wary, you know, speaking from some kind of a podium as a singer in a rock band," he said. "First of all, I think it's ridiculous that it should be left to the singers of rock bands to have to bring up these issues. But then again, the arts are always going to reflect society, and there could be a responsibility there."

Swigging from a wine bottle — as usual during a PEARL JAM show — Vedder said in his speech (see video below), "What the fuck? What the fuck? We can have this many people having a peaceful time. We can have modern technology. We can reach our friends. We know what they're thinking before they're thinking it. The advertisers know what we're thinking before we're thinking it. We have technology — all this in our hands. At the same time that something this positive is happening, at the same fucking time, not even that far away, they're fucking dropping bombs on each other. What the fucking fuck?"

Vedder continued, "I swear to fucking God, there are people out there who are looking for a reason to kill! They're looking for a reason to go across borders and take over land that doesn't belong to them. They should get the fuck out, and mind their own fucking business... Everyone wants the same goddamn thing: to have our children, eat, procreate, draw a painting, make some art, listen to music, fuck some more, have another baby, eat, work, eat, work, love, love, love, everyone's the fuckin' same! So why are people at war? Stop the fucking shit, now! Now! Now! We don't want to give them our money. We don't want to give them our taxes to drop bombs on children! Now! No more! Now!"

Vedder then dropped to his knees to beg for peace, leading the audience in a rendition of Edwin Starr's "War".

Fans have both defended and attacked Vedder on his Facebook page.

(Remarks begin at 4:10 mark)

http://www.jpost.com/Arts-and-Cultur...concert-362556

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/pea...Z2XHtcFy0Rs.99
    Totally fucked by PJ but I can't say I really ever was a fan. And let's get something very clear, PINK FLOYD IS NOT THE ANTI-SEMITE!!!!!!!! IT'S ROGER FUCKING WATERS!
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:56 AM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

he could have just as easily been talking about the issues in the Ukraine but i'm guessing this is about the ongoing mess in the Middle East. He's clearly frustated with the situation as we all should be. When someone comes up with a solution, please pass it along.

to call him an Anti-Semite based on that alone is unfair I think.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Eddie Vedder is an insufferable douche....with or without this incident.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

If Vetter and his ilk have an answer to a 3-4 thousand year old land/holy war then send him over there . I stand with Israel. Until people can coexist on both sides with no hidden agenda nothing will ever change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:45 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    The politically outspoken Vedder told The Pulse Of Radio a while back that he used to be reluctant to voice his opinion earlier in his career.
    Uh, when has he been reluctant to tell everyone how he feels?
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Well he'll never get confused with Winston Churchill, will he? A great orator, he is not.

This diatribe, and the logic behind it, is worthy of a 4th grader (one with a sailor's vocabulary, anyway). I agree that it wasn't necessarily directed at Israel from those comments, but it's still vapid thinking from someone who should be old enough to know better.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:33 AM
    Liked 6,841 Times in 3,580 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    PINK FLOYD IS NOT THE ANTI-SEMITE!!!!!!!! IT'S ROGER FUCKING WATERS!
    Exactly.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    PINK FLOYD IS NOT THE ANTI-SEMITE!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for having my back.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

It's a complicated issue, and there is certainly some blame to spread around. The Palestinians routinely reject or back out of peace agreements, even ones that favor them. And Israel is often heavy handed and sometimes is, how you say, not careful who it shoots at. Then there's the whole settlement thing, which is just a big mess and is often leveraged for evil by both sides.

Celebrities bug me when they spout off about this as it's some simplistic bully vs. weak kid scenario. If the weak kid restarts the fight, I'm afraid he's partly to blame even when the big kid goes overboard.

Of course, if I "ranted" that at a concert, there'd be a race for the beer line. Better to oversimplify and sprinkle with "fuck" and "shit."

TK

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Well he'll never get confused with Winston Churchill, will he? A great orator, he is not.

This diatribe, and the logic behind it, is worthy of a 4th grader (one with a sailor's vocabulary, anyway). I agree that it wasn't necessarily directed at Israel from those comments, but it's still vapid thinking from someone who should be old enough to know better.
    He's a rock star. He should have been speaking at least at an 8th-grade level.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Oh for fucks sake, he's just speaking out against war and his message is a good one.

Vedder is awesome. Incredible singer, song writer, work ethic, you name it. Nothing but respect for how this guy goes about his business.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    he could have just as easily been talking about the issues in the Ukraine but i'm guessing this is about the ongoing mess in the Middle East. He's clearly frustated with the situation as we all should be. When someone comes up with a solution, please pass it along.

to call him an Anti-Semite based on that alone is unfair I think.
    Hes not an Anti-Semite. Cant label him that.

But he should save that shit for another forum. He's being paid to play/sing live music, not to be given a stage to spout off political opinions. Same goes for Bono.

And I agree with what he's saying. Hes right. 1000%.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, especially when its a humane and logical one, but when Im paying $100+ to see your band, Im not plunking that dough down to hear that shit.

People go to concerts to escape. To forget about real life for 2 hrs. At least I do. For those 2 hrs Im there for the music and the performance.

Would be no different than if after every song the lead singer reminded us, "Life is shit by the way. People are dying all over the world. You have to get up at 5am tomorrow to go to work. Life is shit. Gotta make credit card pay,ent soon, guys. Hopefully, you can pay off that mortgage. Government is bad. Politicians are evil liars."

Im not paying to hear that and odds are neither are the other 18,000 who paid for their tickets.

Only guy who can get away with it imo, is Nugent because its part of his act and he's become a joke for the most part anyways.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:03 AM
    Liked 7,872 Times in 4,599 Posts

Premium Member

Imo, I think entertainers would do well to just leave their political views at the door. We pay money to hear the music, so why alienate even one fan?

Interviews are the appropriate forum for exercising one's viewpoints NOT a live setting. It's depressing for one and just kills the buzz.

I'll go with the King on this one:

"Honey, I'd just as soon keep my own personal views about that to myself. I'm just an entertainer, and I'd rather not say".

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post

I'll go with the King on this one:

"Honey, I'd just as soon keep my own personal views about that to myself. I'm just an entertainer, and I'd rather not say".
    End of discussion right there.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel