Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Default 5150 album and the Steinberger

I've recently come to a conclusion. The Steinberger is all over that album. Obviously it's used on Get Up and Summer Nights. I think I hear it on Inside and Why Can't This Be Love. And maybe even Love Walks In. It's different sounding than Good Enough where he used the 1984 Kramer, and "5150" which I think was the Flying V. WCTBL solo has the whammy that he moves two notes and they stay in tune. Only possible with a trans trem.

He's done similar things before. Used one guitar a lot on an album. 1984 has the Flying V all over it. 1984 it seems any song that's in A440 is the Flying V. Obviously Top Jimmy was a Ripley. So yes, I'm saying Jump was the V. And the ones we know are the V, DDL, Girl Gone Bad. HFT. Even House Of Pain I think is the V. With overdubbed solo with whammy bar. Panama is in E flat and has whammy. He says it's the Kramer 5150. I'd swear back then he said it was the Franky. So who knows? I'll Wait has whammy so again, who knows?

I know there was a moment he almost endorsed Steinberger. And Live Without A Net he breaks a string on the Kramer 5150 and goes to the Steinberger. He's got a ton of Kramer copies backstage. Why the Steinberger? He liked it. I don't know why he stopped favoring it. I'm glad he did. It's cool and I wish I had one. But I prefer the see Ed playing strat style guitars. Wolfgangs are ok. I own a few. But the Franky and Kramer 5150 were the coolest.

Anybody else notice this about 5150?

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I agree the Steinberger was cool for a couple of songs but I'm also glad it had a short shelf life. At the time I always saw it as a novelty thing and I never really considered it would become a regular part of his arsenal. That's pretty much what happened for whatever reason and I'm glad it played out that way.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Well... the guitar itself kinda faded away, but the Tans Trem itself is a work of genius, and Ed has used it on other stuff beyond 5150. Me Wise Magic for one. I can't remember which tune/s , but supposedly used it on III. He had one or two installed in some of his more current guitars (with great modifications). He also has the TT equipped Paul that he and Ned worked on together. I think someone also mentioned it making an appearance on the new album, but I can't pick it out...not As Is, that's the D2H...pretty sure of that.
    Last edited by we die young; 07.12.14 at 09:04 AM.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:01 PM
    Liked 6,973 Times in 5,009 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Well... the guitar itself kinda faded away, but the Tans Trem itself is a work of genius, and Ed has used it on other stuff beyond 5150. Me Wise Magic for one. I can't remember which tune/s , but supposedly used it on III. He had one or two installed in some of his more current guitars (with great modifications). He also has the TT equipped Paul that he and Ned worked on together. I think someone also mentioned it making an appearance on the new album, but I can't pick it out...not As Is, that's the D2H...pretty sure of that.
    I thought the Trans Trem was a cool innovation . I've never played one in real life , yet always wanted to try it out ! One of our resident build gurus (5150rob) has one , and has posted an awesome video demo version of Summer Nights . Very cool !!!

Any-hooo , Eddie used a TT on 'Fire in the Hole' , from III .
    I'm not too sure about the last album , but I think you're right - 'As Is' featured the D2H device . The only other candidate I hear is 'HBSD' - with all those high and low parts and tuning changes ... The transcription states that Ed used a Whammy pedal though , and his pedal board photos from Guitar World showed that particular one in his signal chain . Hmmm ?

Cheers
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

In high school I busted my ass to learn Summer Nights the hard way before I had ever seen a Steinberger in the flesh. Then my best buddy, whose folks were rich, got him one. So I got to play Summer Nights on it and it was soooo much easier. I later became a Vito Bratta disciple, but never went farther than putting an EMG in my Baretta. There was a Steinberger sitting in my local music store forever, but $1800 was a ton of money for a guitar in 1990.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:01 PM
    Liked 6,973 Times in 5,009 Posts

Premium Member

I hear ya , Rick .
    We have a somewhat similar story ... Haha .

Summer Nights has always been on of my favorite VH tunes . I also busted my chops (so to speak) learning it the hard way . Good times though

I've really been wanting to check out one of those Morpheus transposing pedals . No Trans Trem needed !
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora