Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Default Broken cable end in 5150 blockletter

Hey guys. Hopefully I can get some help here. I sold my old 5150 to my buddy last year.
    He loves it. So it has a good home. Anyway...He called me tonight from his space saying one of the other bands who rent used it this week and broke the plug clean off inside the high gain input. He can't get it out so I told him I'll take the chassis out. I've had it apart years ago to clean the pots, but can't remember if the jacks are open or sealed design. Anyone have any ideas how I can get this out? I was thinking there may be some access to push it back out from the rear of the jack weather its open or closed....just cant remember if there's access or if I need to pick up a replace the jack. Want to know what to expect before I open the ol' girl up.
    He's pissed....no one is fessing up ,telling him it was like that. Interesting that he found the broken cable in a bag of McDonald's garbage. Losers. Why I don't share spaces.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by we die young; 07.07.14 at 08:53 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Hey guys. Hopefully I can get some help here. I sold my old 5150 to my buddy last year.
    He loves it. So it has a good home. Anyway...He called me tonight from his space saying one of the other bands who rent used it this week and broke the plug clean off inside the high gain input. He can't get it out so I told him I'll take the chassis out. I've had it apart years ago to clean the pots, but can't remember if the jacks are open or sealed design. Anyone have any ideas how I can get this out? I was thinking there may be some access to push it back out from the rear of the jack weather its open or closed....just cant remember if there's access or if I need to pick up a replace the jack. Want to know what to expect before I open the ol' girl up.
    He's pissed....no one is fessing up ,telling him it was like that. Interesting that he found the broken cable in a bag of McDonald's garbage. Losers. Why I don't share spaces.
    Thanks in advance.
    Don't know if there is a tool designed for this specific issue or not but depending on how the end of the jack is broken and if it has an opening or clean break, I've had success using super glue on a nail -- point and or head. It holds enough to give it one clean pull. Used this method recently to pull a broken jack out of an iphone. May be worth trying before opening it up???Either way, Good luck!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    Don't know if there is a tool designed for this specific issue or not but depending on how the end of the jack is broken and if it has an opening or clean break, I've had success using super glue on a nail -- point and or head. It holds enough to give it one clean pull. Used this method recently to pull a broken jack out of an iphone. May be worth trying before opening it up???Either way, Good luck!
    Thanks man! I actually got it out today. Had to open it up. The way he described it, the whole shank broke off, but it was the tip only. Luckily there was enough space to get into it with a jeweler's screwdriver, and knock it past the detent, and it pretty much fell right out. Thanks again for the reply though man. I hadn't thought about the crazy glue.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Thanks man! I actually got it out today. Had to open it up. The way he described it, the whole shank broke off, but it was the tip only. Luckily there was enough space to get into it with a jeweler's screwdriver, and knock it past the detent, and it pretty much fell right out. Thanks again for the reply though man. I hadn't thought about the crazy glue.
    No problem! Glad everything worked out for you & your bud!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Those are the ultra cheap, crappy, sealed "vertical" style plastic jacks. Given the age of the amp, and now the amount of force it must have taken to snap that off, I'd really consider calling up Peavey parts dept. and have them sending you a replacement jack.

I've had those jacks go bad on 5150 combos that were never abused at all -- just from normal use. You'll notice the epic squeal when they decide to go...