Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Default Take Care Of Your Wrists

Hey, everyone...a few months ago, I was diagnosed with onset De Quervain syndrome in my wrists, the left one in particular. I pretty much had to stop playing guitar in Apr. Physical therapy and hot/colt/hot treatments helped.

Just want to say to all of you that it sucks when you can't do what you love because of a physical limitation. Make sure you pay attention to your wrists. Got pain in them? Get them looked at.

Look into stretches for your hands that would help prevent De Quervain's and carpal tunnel. This shit is no joke.

Anyway, I'm cleared hot to play again as of about mid-June. I only started playing yesterday and it was nice.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR WRISTS!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

My ex had to have his wrist fused. Luckily, the surgeon was a musician. He knew Mike played guitar so he set the wrist so that he could still play.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 6,989 Times in 5,022 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    Hey, everyone...a few months ago, I was diagnosed with onset De Quervain syndrome in my wrists, the left one in particular. I pretty much had to stop playing guitar in Apr. Physical therapy and hot/colt/hot treatments helped.

Just want to say to all of you that it sucks when you can't do what you love because of a physical limitation. Make sure you pay attention to your wrists. Got pain in them? Get them looked at.

Look into stretches for your hands that would help prevent De Quervain's and carpal tunnel. This shit is no joke.

Anyway, I'm cleared hot to play again as of about mid-June. I only started playing yesterday and it was nice.

TAKE CARE OF YOUR WRISTS!
    Glad you're back to playing , brother . Great advise in this post as well . I've had some fret hand issues for a few years now ... Sucks to not be able to play what you know you once could
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

God! Feel for you man. I don't have an issue with my wrists, but DO have some funky shit happening with my right (picking hand) index finger that's very painful.
    I don't use a pick, so I use my index finger....Well, now top and middle joints are pretty buggered up. The doctor said it's from the lateral strain in the way I pick. I can't close my hand into a fist without the index finger sticking out. It' doesn't hurt to play,(weird, I know) but daily activity...even grabbing my steering wheel, I get throbbing, aching pain. In the cold it hurts without doing anything.
    It does suck, and like Marc said, if you start noticing symptoms you think may be from playing, get checked out to see if you can remedy it early. I left mine too long, and the doctor says it's a degenerative thing. It'll only get worse because of the damage I did for years and ignoring it.
    Hope you can keep it in check Marc! Good luck man.