Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 07:23 PM
    Liked 6,014 Times in 3,273 Posts

Premium Member

Default Feds Sue Wisconsin Co, Says English-Language Requirement Is 'Discrimination'

Federal Gov’t Sues Wisconsin Company, Says English-Language Requirement is 'Discrimination'

( -- The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), a federal agency tasked with enforcing workplace discrimination laws, is suing a private American business for firing a group of Hispanic and Asian employees over their inability to speak English at work, claiming that the English-language requirement in a U.S. business constitutes  “discrimination.”

Judicial Watch reported Tuesday that the government is accusing Wisconsin Plastics, Inc. of violating Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination based on “national origin.” The government argues this includes the “linguistic characteristics of a national origin group.”.

Irene Garcia, the blog editor and Spanish media liaison for Judicial Watch, called the EEOC’s accusation “ludicrous.”

“That’s ludicrous and an overreaching of government,” Garcia told “If you are a private company in the United States, you should be able to require your employees to speak English.”

According to a news release from the EEOC, Chicago Regional Attorney John C. Hendrickson said the Green Bay-based company’s English requirement is based on “superficial” reasoning.

"Our experience at the EEOC has been that so-called 'English only' rules and requirements of English fluency are often employed to make what is really discrimination appear acceptable. But superficial appearances are not fooling anyone,” Hendrickson said in the release. “When speaking English fluently is not, in fact, required for the safe and effective performance of a job, nor for the successful operation of the employer’s business, requiring employees to be fluent in English usually constitutes employment discrimination on the basis of national origin — and thus violates federal law.”

But Garcia said the ability to speak English is necessary for employees of Wisconsin Plastics, Inc., but that the employees in question “were not able to speak English at any kind of level that would be considered proficient.”

“In this case some English is necessary to communicate with supervisors and stuff like that, and the EEOC just went after this private company because some employees were being marked down for not having English skills. So that doesn’t really make sense,” she said.

Garcia added that the lawsuit, filed on June 9, is just the latest in a slew of attempts by the EEOC and the Obama administration to go after American businesses for so-called “discrimination.” She cited numerous cases in which the EEOC has accused businesses of discriminating by requiring workers to speak English, running background and criminal checks, and enforcing company-wide restrictions on head coverings, including those worn by some Muslim women.

“We’ve seen some decisions that are kind of radical that we haven’t seen in the past, under Republican or Democrat administrations,” she said, claiming the EEOC under the Obama administration is “on a roll.”

Many lawsuits brought by the EEOC subjectively twist the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to include things it was never meant to cover, Garcia added.

“We’re seeing a lot of these kinds of law suits using his civil rights law to sue on behalf of all these different causes that I believe violate the spirit of the law,” Garcia explained.

“In terms of religious and language rights under the Civil Rights Act, that’s what the administration is using to offer and extend protects when really and truly there’s no place for them [in the law],” she said.
    Last edited by bklynboy68; 07.03.14 at 02:04 AM.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 05:28 PM
    Liked 3,910 Times in 2,276 Posts

Premium Member

It's real simple.

Don't hire people who can't speak proficient English, if proficient English is necessary to communicate, in the first place.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 04:56 AM
    Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts

Last I checked, English is the only official language of the US. If you want to live here, speak it, or at least try to learn it. I would expect no different if I were to live in a foreign speaking country.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit - The site where you are the search engine.

08.11.16 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

The company should just go out and hire some Asian and Hispanic people who do speak English fluently.

But why were these people hired in the first place? Didn't the company know before hiring them that they couldn't speak English at all? Since that was an important requirement, it would seem none of them were qualified for employment to begin with. Why hire them, only to turn around and fire them afterwards?
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

orig VH fan x craps champ edwardv's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 01:38 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 729 Posts

Premium Member

Press one for Spanish two for English and three for a lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

10.23.16 @ 01:32 PM
    Liked 1,371 Times in 690 Posts

In my line of work I see this all the time. Companies need to have requirements like this for safety reasons and for communication of company policies. Even if they aren't interacting with outside customers, they still need to be able to follow directions. It shouldn't be the company's responsibility to hire a translator just to make sure they can do the same work as someone that speaks English.

On the flip side, I've been asked to find candidates that are fluent in Spanish with English being optional because the manager is Spanish speaking and doesn't want to bother having English only candidates that can't communicate with the rest of his team. I don't consider that discriminatory either.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.