The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Default Yngwie prefers VH over Randy Rhoads

mini video of Yngwie

"I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:31 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

I prefer Eddie over Randy too , and that's no slight towards Mr. Rhoads' talent or legend/legacy . RR will forever be one of my favorite guitarists and musicians .

EVH just has a certain "X" factor and coolness about him . He's my main man and always will be !

Regarding Yngwie's comment ? There was an old Guitar Wold magazine from the 80's , where Malmsteen stated that he'd like to jam with Eddie . MAN , I'd love to have seen that happen ...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

I prefer Ed and Randy over Yngwie, so there, Ygnwie!

Seriously, I love Randy's playing, and the Ozzy/RR Tribute record still gives me chills. Absolutely brilliant playing! But I've evolved in my thinking over the years... And after a lot of thought I just have to give it up for Ed. He really did rewrite the book of guitar playing. His rhythm playing and his tone are what really set him apart. He's ridiculously, absurdly good (to quote Harpospoke) at playing rhythm guitar. He finds pockets in the groove that mere mortals would never even think of. His sense of timing is odd in a genius sort of way, which sets him above and beyond. I'm a fan first and foremost of his studio work, where he really shines. I think Randy was a better live player, but that's just my opinion.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

That was a good post . I agree about Ed's remarkable rhythm playing . The man's studio work has always displayed serious groove and 'in-the-pocket' finesse . That's before he even does any of his tricks .

Eddie and Randy were both , pretty much , total package type of guitar heroes IMO . Looks/tone/chops/writing/improv/stage moves, etc . Most of us are still trying to play catch up , and it's a game of futility compared to those naturals ... Haha !!!

I (ever so slightly) disagree about Randy being a better live player . This may vary depending on which clip you're currently watching , but Eddie shines onstage . Again IMO . Randy was great too , but I've never seen him do the scissor kick jumps while carrying a tune and not missing a beat or having a flubbed note .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Sorry Randy but Ed is number one RIP.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

06.30.16 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Yngwie prefers Crispy Cream over Dunken Donuts.Just kidding, I'm a fan but don't take him too seriously. I saw him last week and he can still shred like a mofo, but I realize that his style isn't for everyone.

As far as Rhoads, he died too soon to have an enormous impact like EVH did. Personally I think EVH tarnished his legacy but you can't take away the impact he had on the guitar when he came out. If Rhoads had lived he might have become the best guitarist ever, or he could have ended up playing with someone like Riahnna ,like Nuno does, to pay the bills. Who knows?

Best part of the video is when they asked Yngwie who do you prefer Zep or Sabbath and he said Deep Purple, I concur.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

There's also the issue that RR was the first guy to put as much emphasis on classical scales in the 80s. Had he lived, maybe Yngwie's ascent would've been slower or had less visibility. We'll never know.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Randy did things Eddie couldn't and vice versa. Both from total opposite ends of the spectrum. If Randy lived, he would have always been chasing the legend of Eddie. Just like George who is technically a better guitarist. My two favorite guitarists.

I know people say Randy ripped off Eddie but if anything it was just tapping and he only did it on a few songs. Had he lived I think he would have ended up in Whitesnake after John Sykes. Just could see him playing in that band.

Anyway if Eddie and Randy had a kid, his name would be Vito Bratta

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:50 PM
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,451 Posts

I loved Randy too, but I didn't like his tone nearly as much as Eddie's. (not an insult...who had a tone like Eddie's?)

Other things that were probably just perception is that Randy sounded more clinical to me. That's not really a bad thing...just different. I felt like Randy carefully choose every note he played while Eddie sounded like he charged in with guns blazing at times. I know Eddie carefully crafted a lot of what he did as well. ...But say...like the fills on Beautiful Girls....they must have just pushed "record" on that one and let Eddie go nuts.

So my overall impression was simply that it sounded like Eddie smiled more than Randy did.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    I loved Randy too, but I didn't like his tone nearly as much as Eddie's. (not an insult...who had a tone like Eddie's?)

Other things that were probably just perception is that Randy sounded more clinical to me. That's not really a bad thing...just different. I felt like Randy carefully choose every note he played while Eddie sounded like he charged in with guns blazing at times. I know Eddie carefully crafted a lot of what he did as well. ...But say...like the fills on Beautiful Girls....they must have just pushed "record" on that one and let Eddie go nuts.

So my overall impression was simply that it sounded like Eddie smiled more than Randy did.
    Congrats on a very good analogy !!! You nailed it here , and I've always felt the same way .

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

First off, Yngwie said shit about Eddie back in the 80s I can't forgive him for. He said awful shit about him, and really lame stuff too. One thing I remember is when he said "Ritchie Blackmore does things Eddie Van Halen WISHES he could do." Really?! I also heard that he played the "Eruption" tapping passage live with his teeth -- to me that was an F.U. to Ed.

Quick aside -- everyone I knew in high school that liked Yngwie HATED Van Halen. Major camp division, and I mean serious division. I almost even got into an actual fist fight over it. That is no lie.

Randy is a true hero of mine. It is because of him and not because of Edward that I truly learned alternate picking. I would not have the right hand I have if it were not for his picking style. That changed my ability to play in just a few weeks when I was 16 or so. Randy helped me over a gigantic learning curve.

It was after learning Randy's stuff that I was actually able to go back and go, "Oh, this is what Ed is doing." Then you learn enough of Ed's solos, and it gets easier and easier to learn the next one. I know every song Randy recorded with Ozzy (was just listening to Diary on vinyl this weekend), but that's a tragically small body of work. But it truly gave me the keys to unlock Ed's technique, and I took that much further.

Randy regretted the tapping he felt he "had to do" to either keep up or give the kids what they wanted. I think that's the nature of Ed's attitude toward Randy in 1982 when he said that he didn't think Randy did anything that he hadn't already done. Jas Olbrecht tried delicately to assure Ed that Randy's innovation was in fact quite original. I think Ed just locked on to Randy's tapping and was a bit dismissive of him solely because of that. To be honest, I think the single biggest "homage" if you will is that the "Crazy Train" solo starts with the EXACT same tapping pattern found in "Eruption" (just in F# instead of C#) -- but anyone that has done deep study on these solos know that that's where the "homage" ended. The rest of that solo is sheer brilliance and absolutely unlike Ed in almost every way. If you had to distill the most major distinction between Ed and Randy down to one thing -- Ed almost exclusively improvised his solos; Randy composed each and every note of each of his solos and then doubled them in the studio. HUGE difference.

Ed actually said some shitty things about Randy right after the plane crash regarding the crash itself -- I won't repeat them here.

Maybe Yngwie was just a young dick at the time slagging Ed. But man, it really put him in a category in my mind I've never been able to shake. I also don't understand why YM is such a gifted classical musician that he doesn't play violin, cello, or piano and just make real classical music.

My two cents.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Very well written post , Kevin . I totally dig what you're saying here . I love Randy too , and have never written him off as just an 'Eddie clone' . It's almost funny in a way ... I could fake my way through most of Eruption , and my old band used to play MANY VH tunes (both main eras) , yet I distinctly remember a turning point in my teenaged guitar playing years - Listening to the Tribute album , I used to think during Mr. Crowley "If I could play solos like that , I'd consider myself a good guitarist !"

Randy was amazing . Still inspires to this day IMO .

Regarding Yngwie ? I've posted about him before ... I do like him a lot and respect his talent/technique . He was THE new hotshot player when he hit the scene . Yet he was always considered #2 when compared to Eddie . That's why (IMO) he plays the trem picking part of Eruption with his teeth , etc. It's almost to mock Ed's talent and acclaim . Again , IMO .

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

There are no two more insecure guitar players on the planet than Eddie and Yngwie. Eddie was far more endearing about it, though. Yngwie is just a giant, yet talented, asshole.

In fact, Yngwie was such a dick, some editor at Guitar World, in a stroke of sheer genius, decided to have him sit down, listen to some songs and then comment on them.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comme...er_guitarists/

Honestly, this is greatest thing I have ever read in Guitar World. He just rips into everyone. Even his compliments come with a strong back-hand. I could reread this a thousand times and laugh every single time.

What an ass.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by vhMcG View Post
    Very well written post , Kevin . I totally dig what you're saying here . I love Randy too , and have never written him off as just an 'Eddie clone' . It's almost funny in a way ... I could fake my way through most of Eruption , and my old band used to play MANY VH tunes (both main eras) , yet I distinctly remember a turning point in my teenaged guitar playing years - Listening to the Tribute album , I used to think during Mr. Crowley "If I could play solos like that , I'd consider myself a good guitarist !"

Randy was amazing . Still inspires to this day IMO .

Regarding Yngwie ? I've posted about him before ... I do like him a lot and respect his talent/technique . He was THE new hotshot player when he hit the scene . Yet he was always considered #2 when compared to Eddie . That's why (IMO) he plays the trem picking part of Eruption with his teeth , etc. It's almost to mock Ed's talent and acclaim . Again , IMO .
    No one plays with the feel and "wit" that Ed does. But Randy did some amazing things as well and was brilliant at fitting seemingly unmatched elements into a song.

Case in point:

At 3:49 in this "video", in the solo to I Don't Know, he does this crazy, choppy, robotic descending appregio, then resolves the whole thing with a wicked blues riff. Just brilliant. My favorite solo of his.

TK

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I don't think that Yngwie is insecure about his guitar playing . He's just pretty arrogant in his early interviews IMO . Thing is , he had the talent to back it up . He's got a cocksure attitude that oozes excess , in his playing , stage demeanor , and daily persona .

Eddie seems more like the sensitive/tortured artist type . I'll take Ed's guitar virtuosity and musical genius 10 times out of 10 , yet I still enjoy Malmsteen's routine as well .