Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default 5150 guitar build with a twist

I don't post here much and posted this over at halen.com, I figured you guys would enjoy it too.

I want to do something that is a challenge and cool at the same time. I have been steadily busy with customer orders for bodies. I am going to start a tribute guitar run that is for my living room. A guy that builds guitars but doesn't have any for display is just silly in my opinion. Those will be Clapton Blackie, SRV #1, YJM Duck, few EVH, and Jeff Beck Esquire but that is for another day/thread.

Years ago on another forum a guy with the handle of whitebison66 made a 5150 from exotic wood and inlaid wood for the stripes. This was back when I was assembling guitars instead of building from scratch so 2007-2008? I was just totally blown away by his unique take and skill doing what he did.

Anyway fast forward to now; I was doing a wood run and ran into some Padauk which reminded me of his build and made me want to do my own. So this is my official build thread in tribute of whitebison66 who did a tribute to EVH.

My body will be cut entirely on the CNC and everything will be documented here. Don't expect this to be done next weekend, this is going to be slightly time consuming. Programming and planning are going to be a ton of fun. The goal is to see no imperfections/glue lines so most of the stripes will be cut in stages to make everything look seamless. Or maybe I can cut a big inlay from a solid chunk of maple!

Chunks of Padauk before I got started.

Resawing the chunks on the bandsaw

Thickness planed both tops and bottoms.

Flame maple sandwiched between the Padauk to simulate the 1/2 boarder stripe.

Bookmatched blank ready to be CNC machined

Stage 1

Stage 2

Continued in next post-

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Stage 3

I broke my end mill in the middle of this one because I was some what rushing through and wasn't allowing the glue to set enough. Flutes got clogged with glue and she broke, had to wait a few days because I didn't have a spare to keep running.

Cutting the 1/2" stripes

Cutting the 3/4" stripes

3/4" stripes are in and now its ready to become a guitar body.

About 25min later

That brings us up to present time. Now I need to program and cut the back which I will probably do 4th of July weekend. Need to run a few customer jobs first so once those are done I will get back to this thing. So far its been a bitch and I give whitebison all the props in the world for doing it by hand. I had ambitions to running a few of these things to essentially pay for this one but I would have to charge too much to justify doing another one. There is way more time than I anticipated with milling down all the flame maple and ebony. Luckily I didn't have to hand fit anything so that saved some time. All in all I have about 7 hours into this including programming time so I am not doing too bad. Couple tear out places I have to fix, but those were unavoidable. Padauk loves to blow out because of its grain structure, doing it by hand would be a little safer in this aspect because you can feel how the wood is cutting. CNC you have to more or less cut based on experience and sound.

Hope you enjoy.

Chris

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

That certainly is a work of art ! Very creative , and very well done .
    The guitar looks fantastic all around . I have seen this (or most likely , the other posters version) on another site . Doesn't take away from how cool this is .

I'd be stumped trying a painted 5150 replica ... LOL
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Default 5150 guitar build with a twist

It astonishes me that some people have the skill to tackle this project. I don't consider myself very handy, and seeing posts like this remind me of that fact LOL!

I remember stumbling on the thread by whitebison66 awhile ago and it absolutely blew me away. This is looking awesome already and can't wait to see how it turns out! Best of luck to you and please post pics of your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

That looks amazing so far!

Can't wait to see the finished product.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the compliments guys. I am just as anxious as you guys to see how the rest of it will turn out. This kind of stuff really breaks up the daily grind with standard guitar bodies for sure.

Chris

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by factory5150 View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys. I am just as anxious as you guys to see how the rest of it will turn out. This kind of stuff really breaks up the daily grind with standard guitar bodies for sure.

Chris
    Right on , Chris !
    Are you doing anything out of the ordinary with the neck and/or hardware ? I'm very interested in seeing how your new creation turns out . Hope you'll post a video clip to demo the tone she gets ?

Cheers
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Eh most likely it will be boring. I may veneer the headstock but I might just leave it alone. I haven't decided yet. Probably chrome hardware and I have a few different Duncan pickups to put in it. But really I'm just building this to hang on a wall in my living room so I don't plan on spending a lot on the hardware. I may change my mind and make it a player though lol

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Completely kick ass.
    Rock on sir !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by factory5150 View Post
    Eh most likely it will be boring. I may veneer the headstock but I might just leave it alone. I haven't decided yet. Probably chrome hardware and I have a few different Duncan pickups to put in it. But really I'm just building this to hang on a wall in my living room so I don't plan on spending a lot on the hardware. I may change my mind and make it a player though lol
    Thanks for the reply . Something like that would probably be a display item at our house too , but I'm still hoping you can upload a clip for us to see/hear . That guitar is just too gorgeous not to be heard !

I've said it before - there's a stunning amount of talented players and build gurus amongst us . God Bless the Links !!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

11.05.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

WOW! this is a serious guitar build.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by 73watermutt View Post
    WOW! this is a serious guitar build.
    Yes it is !!!

I also really like the pics you posted in another thread . Your striped AX40 and Kramer guitars look outstanding !!! Love the blue theme on the 5150 style axe , but why did you change the pickup selector switch location on the AX40 ? I'm sure it was to be authentic to Ed's EBMM design , yet I like the way it is on my AX40 guitars ...

Btw , what are your thoughts on those ? Had any problems/issues with them ? I'm very curious . They're all I play now , and yet . work needs to be done to 'em .
    Cheers

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Well this part of the build is now over (thank god)

Sneak peak of the neck. Got this off ebay from Scott Smith (thanks bro). Did a little cost analysis and it was cheaper for me to buy something partially done than it would to model, program, build from scratch. Maybe down the road I will do something really different and creative for this build. (maple shaft wood with solid padauk headstock and inlaid maple/ebony)

Starting the back

Step 2

I missed a couple of pictures between step 2 and now but you get the idea

Ebony is now in. The end is in sight!

Front side done before being oiled down (will do that later)

For some reason the back came out much better than the front (glue and tearout wise). Maybe its because I knew that to expect this go around?

So this is where the build stand for now. I might have bitten off a bit more than I wanted to chew but all in all the build is coming along quite nicely. I have about 14 hours into the body so far with programming, CNC time and glue time. I will oil the body with a danish/wax mixture. Part of me wants to 2k urethane it with UV blocker to keep the red/orange but it might not fade too much. I appreciate all the comments and feedback from you guys. That's partially why I kept the build log going.

Chris

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

WOW !!!
    Sorry if I sound redundant , yet that is a beautiful guitar design . Fantastic job All the time and hard work spent on it has paid off very nicely .

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

This build is sick. Blown away by the ability to tackle something like this. It must look phenomenal in person. Awesome job!!!!
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.