Thread: Audiobooks

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Default Audiobooks

So, I'm in the midst of sampling my first audiobook. I really enjoy a book in my hands, but lately I've had so much on my plate that keeping up with my reading list has been impossible. Been listening during the daily commute.

Does anyone regularly listen to audiobooks? Still on the fence about whether or not it's for me, but I'm giving it a chance.

Big Fleming fan, so I'm re-reading, errr... listening to You Only Live Twice.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    So, I'm in the midst of sampling my first audiobook. I really enjoy a book in my hands, but lately I've had so much on my plate that keeping up with my reading list has been impossible. Been listening during the daily commute.

Does anyone regularly listen to audiobooks? Still on the fence about whether or not it's for me, but I'm giving it a chance.

Big Fleming fan, so I'm re-reading, errr... listening to You Only Live Twice.
    Like you, I've been lagging behind on my reading and have been thinking about giving the audiobooks a try. I have about half-hour commute to (and from) work each day, so I figure there's an hour of daily listening. How long are these audiobooks? 1000 mins? I don't even know.

I guess I'll just have to try it. It just doesn't seem right to me, but what the hell.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    How long are these audiobooks? 1000 mins? I don't even know.
    Depends on the material. The one I'm listening to is just over six hours. I looked at some Stephen King audiobooks that clocked in over 20 hours.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 260 Times in 114 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Depends on the material. The one I'm listening to is just over six hours. I looked at some Stephen King audiobooks that clocked in over 20 hours.
    I've wondered about them.

Is it one person reading the audio, or different people for the different characters?
    His music career faded faster than an eight ball in front of Lindsay Lohan. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by wrr20891 View Post
    I've wondered about them.

Is it one person reading the audio, or different people for the different characters?
    Generally, one narrator.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I'm not a fan of audiobooks because I find them monotonous. However, I absolutely LOVE the BBC's dramatizations of John Le Carre's George Smiley books:
    -Call for the Dead (1961)
    -A Murder of Quality (1962)
    -The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (1963) -- this is the acclaimed novel that brought John LeCarre into the spotlight...classic!
    -The Looking Glass War (1965)
    -Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (1974) -- Book 1 of the Karla Trilogy...fantastic!
    -The Honourable Schoolboy (1977) -- Book 2 of the Karla Trilogy
    -Smiley's People (1979) -- the final book of the outstanding Karla Trilogy
    -The Secret Pilgrim (1990)
    Love 'em! I listen to a couple of them a month.

I haven't listened to any other dramatizations, but I'm thinking about it.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

My wife and I are both occasional listeners to audiobooks. I find them useful for listening on earphones while doing stuff around the house, particularly if there's a particular book or author I need to catch up on for work purposes.

The average unabridged audiobook is about nine hours, and they're usually read by a jobbing actor, unless it's a really huge title (like a JK Rowling or Dan Brown), in which case it might be read by a high profile star, or even an ensemble, but those are rare.

Audiobook rights come under subsidiary rights in a publishing deal, alongside movie options, translation rights and so on. The author gets a small advance and then royalties once earned out. All my books have done pretty well in audio and earned out, so I get a nice little payment twice a year - not a huge amount, but maybe enough to cover the mortgage for a month. I get no say in who voices the book, though the actor will sometimes get in touch with queries about pronunciations and so on. I've only ever listened to one of my audiobooks, and that was a bit weird - I kept thinking, "That's not how it sounded in my head..."
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    I've only ever listened to one of my audiobooks, and that was a bit weird - I kept thinking, "That's not how it sounded in my head..."
    Hahahahahaha

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

I've never tried one, but I hear they're great if you're planning a long drive for a trip somewhere.

Personally, I like to read at my own pace (which is certainly faster than an audiobook, anyway). I also like to read with no distractions, like before I go to sleep or on a lazy afternoon. For me, I get the most enjoyment out of a book when I'm able to concentrate completely on the content rather than split my attention elsewhere.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.