Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:51 AM
    Liked 10,811 Times in 5,684 Posts

Premium Member

Default 1996 Reunion with Dave

Just found my missing "Best Of" disc today. First off my 3 year old son loves "Humans Being" which is really fuckin' cool. He keeps making me play it over and over again in the car which I don't mind because it's a great song. If you haven't really paid attention to Al's drumming on that tune, give it a listen, it is awesome.

Anyway, reading the Ray Daniels and 2004 threads it got me thinking about the 1996 failed Dave reunion.

After listening to CGTSNM and MWM, it really dawned on me how great those two tunes are and how much the boys fucked things up by not giving us a full album and a tour. After the end of MWM I want more. I don't want my disc player to go back to "Eruption" and start the old tunes again. It's like I got a record with two new kick ass songs and then it stops. I'm actually pretty pissed about it the more I think about it. Ed's excuse of "We'd be ripping the fans off if we toured because Dave doesn't have it anymore" is a bunch of bullshit. What the fuck did he do in 2004? Talk about ripping off the fans. And Dave is any better now than he would have been in 1996? Yeah, sure.

For the life of me I can't understand how a bunch of grown men and be so goddamn petty sometimes. Okay, Ed, you don't like how Dave talked to you about your hip. I get it. Turn the other cheek and talk to him about it later when you're not in the glare of the cameras. Same thing with Dave. Calm your ass down and act like you've been there before instead of acting like a clown on stage while Beck is getting his award.

I just don't get it. If Dave can call the brothers and give his condolences when Jan passed away, he can't be that bad of a guy. This was at the height of the split and he still had the decency to reach out, that should count for something. I get not liking the clownishness in front of the cameras, but cut the guy some slack. That's how he is and he'd been pretty down there for the last couple years so it's not surprising he would have a hard time containing himself. Just shrug your shoulders and say "that's Dave - that's what he does."

Sorry for rambling here, I'm just pissed that we didn't get 3 or 4 more albums with stuff in the vein of the two '96 Dave tracks. Hell, I'd even take more stuff like Humans Being with Sammy - instead we got VH III, which I like to a certain extent, but it's not really Van Halen to me, it is something else.

Fuck, being a fan of this band can be some frustrating sometimes...
    Last edited by Get The Show On The Road; 06.19.14 at 02:59 PM.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

It is what it is, relax enjoy ADKOT, lets wait for the new album soon.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ED-A-HOLIC View Post
    Yeah, I hear ya, but I just think about the 15 years of my early adulthood that I would have loved to get some new VH and I got what 5 songs?

Hopefully we get that new albums soon.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Yeah 1996 looked like it was gonna be THE reunion year: KISS, Journey and Van Halen

1 outta three

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 367 Times in 134 Posts

...Zero Discipline

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:13 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

I vividly recall the 1996 MTV appearance . I was over the moon in awe and joy ! I truly thought that the original band was back , and that I'd finally get a chance to hear a new album and see a new tour .

It didn't work out that way at the time , yet those two songs included on BOV1 were fantastic !!! There's a very select few who actually like VH III .I'm certainly one of them , so this 'kid' isn't too disappointed as much as many others are ...

Hindsight - I wish that an album in 1996 could've happened. I also wanted a full album in 2004 w/Sammy . The 3 songs then were pretty cool IMO .

We did get a mind melting cd , with the release of ADKoT . Full circle karma type of stuff . I'm happy about that . Looking forward to the next offering . Griping about things that never happened years ago seems to be an exercise in futility
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:13 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ED-A-HOLIC View Post
    Yup !
    'Nuff Said ...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    Yeah, bite me. You don't like the subject, don't click on the thread...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

I agree with you about the songs...Humans Being, Me Wise Magic, Can't Get This Stuff No More....I really liked where they were at musically with those songs...would've like to have more in that musical niche. An opportunity lost for sure...
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 181 Times in 82 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    Just found my missing "Best Of" disc today. First off my 3 year old son loves "Humans Being" which is really fuckin' cool. He keeps making me play it over and over again in the car which I don't mind because it's a great song. If you haven't really paid attention to Al's drumming on that tune, give it a listen, it is awesome.

Anyway, reading the Ray Daniels and 2004 threads it got me thinking about the 1996 failed Dave reunion.

After listening to CGTSNM and MWM, it really dawned on me how great those two tunes are and how much the boys fucked things up by not giving us a full album and a tour. After the end of MWM I want more. I don't want my disc player to go back to "Eruption" and start the old tunes again. It's like I got a record with two new kick ass songs and then it stops. I'm actually pretty pissed about it the more I think about it. Ed's excuse of "We'd be ripping the fans off if we toured because Dave doesn't have it anymore" is a bunch of bullshit. What the fuck did he do in 2004? Talk about ripping off the fans. And Dave is any better now than he would have been in 1996? Yeah, sure.

For the life of me I can't understand how a bunch of grown men and be so goddamn petty sometimes. Okay, Ed, you don't like how Dave talked to you about your hip. I get it. Turn the other cheek and talk to him about it later when you're not in the glare of the cameras. Same thing with Dave. Calm your ass down and act like you've been there before instead of acting like a clown on stage while Beck is getting his award.

I just don't get it. If Dave can call the brothers and give his condolences when Jan passed away, he can't be that bad of a guy. This was at the height of the split and he still had the decency to reach out, that should count for something. I get not liking the clownishness in front of the cameras, but cut the guy some slack. That's how he is and he'd been pretty down there for the last couple years so it's not surprising he would have a hard time containing himself. Just shrug your shoulders and say "that's Dave - that's what he does."

Sorry for rambling here, I'm just pissed that we didn't get 3 or 4 more albums with stuff in the vein of the two '96 Dave tracks. Hell, I'd even take more stuff like Humans Being with Sammy - instead we got VH III, which I like to a certain extent, but it's not really Van Halen to me, it is something else.

HUGE missed opportunity back in the day ... If they had reunited with Dave recorded in the vein of those 3 tunes another few records say 3 or 4 on the last 18-20 years .... they would be riding the Stadium Tour circuit right now ... So folks say they peaked in 1984, maybe with popularity but musically Ed I feel hit his peak with those 3 tunes and balance, he was on a tear and taking no prisoners as a more mature guitar hero ...

then it fell to pieces

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 367 Times in 134 Posts

Yeah, bite me. You don't like the subject, don't click on the thread...
    Just yanking your chain my friend. No harm intended at all. I love those two songs as well and understand completely what you're saying.
    ...Zero Discipline

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    Just yanking your chain my friend. No harm intended at all. I love those two songs as well and understand completely what you're saying.
    Hey, it's all good. I know we've all heard this a million times but it still pisses me off and I had to vent!

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

MWM
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:45 AM
    Liked 100 Times in 43 Posts

This thread -- and every single post and counter-post within it -- is a word-for-word conversation I've had with myself a million times.

What a shame.
    Oh well.
    But it sucks!
    Deal with it.
    What a travesty!
    (sigh.)

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Totally agree with this.
    Unfortunately, I think it just came down to Ed thinking "Dave's career is dun, I was nice enough to let him back in and he acts like the same guy I didn't like the first time around".Basically, expecting him to be more humble (like now) and instead he played up the "Dave" persona like the old days.

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    Totally agree with this.
    Unfortunately, I think it just came down to Ed thinking "Dave's career is dun, I was nice enough to let him back in and he acts like the same guy I didn't like the first time around".Basically, expecting him to be more humble (like now) and instead he played up the "Dave" persona like the old days.
    yeah that sounds like the deal pretty much.

it does suck because it was a nearly 10 year span of nothing. That was a good 10 years while they were still somewhat younger. Could've had a few albums in there. But I guess oh well is all you can say