Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Good Enough extreme red roth's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.01.03
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,878
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

    06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts


    Donor

    Default Dallas Free Show 1991



    I was watching this on the big screen last night. Sound is just okay due to recording, but man, just a real enjoyable watch.

    The guys seem to really like each other. Lots of interaction. It's a slice of the good ol' days.

    They just play the shit out of everything. Cool setlist and order.
    As always, I really enjoy the Van Halenized One Way to Rock.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

  2. #2
    Banned!
    Join Date
    09.21.13
    Age
    47
    Location
    Space Station 5
    Posts
    1,380
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

    05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Likes
    370
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

    Default

    That was such a cool moment for Van Halen. They did Dallas a lot better than Debbie.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,323
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Likes
    295
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

    Default

    They should have had the show professionally filmed and released this on DVD/CD as their first live album instead of that piece of filth, LRHRN.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,403
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Likes
    6,129
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extreme red roth View Post


    I was watching this on the big screen last night. Sound is just okay due to recording, but man, just a real enjoyable watch.

    The guys seem to really like each other. Lots of interaction. It's a slice of the good ol' days.

    They just play the shit out of everything. Cool setlist and order.
    As always, I really enjoy the Van Halenized One Way to Rock.
    I agree ! This is a really good show IMO . I own a dvd boot of it , and I love the vibe . Seeing Van Halen in an outdoor setting in the daytime was kinda neat . Not to sound too much like a fanboy , but I really liked Eddie's appearance during this gig . His hair was awesome and I liked the beard and mustache he was rocking at the time . Always a treat to see this era , with the 5150's and the amber Music Man guitar !

    Quote Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
    That was such a cool moment for Van Halen. They did Dallas a lot better than Debbie.
    Haha , that was a great comment !

    Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    They should have had the show professionally filmed and released this on DVD/CD as their first live album instead of that piece of filth, LRHRN.
    The Dallas gig was cool , yet the setlist was a bit short for a pro release IMO . There are PLENTY of quality dates/bootlegs from that era that would've made for a kick ass release . I like RHRN for what it is , yet can understand why so many others would prefer a different official dvd to have been put out .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    17,183
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Likes
    1,826
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

    Default

    It was a great idea for the free gig.
    I've enjoyed watching the vids over the years.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,945
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Likes
    1,064
    Liked 1,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

    Default

    the jam at the end of TOTW is one of my all time favorite vh concert moments. I love that part. totally kicks ass.

  7. #7
    Good Enough BlindtotheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.18.09
    Age
    44
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    2,059
    Favorite VH Album

    OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 08:49 AM
    Likes
    850
    Liked 1,034 Times in 505 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    the jam at the end of TOTW is one of my all time favorite vh concert moments. I love that part. totally kicks ass.
    Good call, dude. I donít know what that jam is but its fucking awesome. It starts at 56:00 if anyone wants to forward to that specific part.

    When I see these vids from 1991, I really feel like the band lost so much momentum not making a studio album in 1993. By the time Balance rolled around in í95, they looked older, a bit tired, and definitely too serious.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,945
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Likes
    1,064
    Liked 1,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    Good call, dude. I donít know what that jam is but its fucking awesome. It starts at 56:00 if anyone wants to forward to that specific part.

    When I see these vids from 1991, I really feel like the band lost so much momentum not making a studio album in 1993. By the time Balance rolled around in í95, they looked older, a bit tired, and definitely too serious.
    it's just such a bad ass little clip and the little scat lyric sam comes up with is cool as hell IMHO.

    I wish they would have done a studio album in 93, it would have scewed the timeline just enough that the whole 96 fiasco prolly never would have went down.

  9. #9
    Eruption F'nRockstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.01.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    CLEVELAND
    Posts
    1,500
    Favorite VH Album

    fuck
    Favorite VH Song

    panama
    Last Online

    10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

    Default

    Sick show. They only played one classic tune and still tore the place apart. They were firing on all cylinders.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

    Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,945
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Likes
    1,064
    Liked 1,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by F'nRockstar View Post
    Sick show. They only played one classic tune and still tore the place apart. They were firing on all cylinders.
    pretty much every tune they played was a classic.

  11. #11
    On Fire Bluto's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.01.13
    Posts
    380
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, 1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    06.23.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Likes
    67
    Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

    Default

    LRHRN is good. The sound quality is great and all, but watching it gives me a headache. There's WAY too many jump cuts and camera changes. They never really focus the camera on one thing for more than a couple seconds. I also wish they would've just left it be and didn't rerecord it. One of my favorite things about live shows is listening to how different it sounds than on record, not how close the band can make it sound. Just my $0.02.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.02.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,527
    Favorite VH Album

    5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

    5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

    11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Likes
    8
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

    Default

    Great memories and a fantastic little concert
    What is understood need not be discussed

    "Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

    "I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,403
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Likes
    6,129
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
    LRHRN is good. The sound quality is great and all, but watching it gives me a headache. There's WAY too many jump cuts and camera changes. They never really focus the camera on one thing for more than a couple seconds. I also wish they would've just left it be and didn't rerecord it. One of my favorite things about live shows is listening to how different it sounds than on record, not how close the band can make it sound. Just my $0.02.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I really see your point . There are a lot of camera cuts on RHRN . I don't really dig them either , yet we can chalk it up to poor editing . I would think that perfectionists like Ed and Al would've been more involved in the final sequences viewed on screen .

    Regarding the album vs live remark though , I think the band changed up the performances enough to justify the live album/dvd being put out . Love Walks In has more of a guitar presence during the intro and verses . FWYS has the ad libs and extended guitar solo . Many other songs have the typical Eddie improvs in the solos . Pleasure Dome is played instrumentally , etc. etc.

    We all would covet an official live album w/Roth , yet RHRN was a pretty good presentation of the current lineup (at the time) with Sammy .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. The Entire Dallas Free Show - December 4, 1991
    By chefcraig in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02.25.09, 01:37 PM
  2. Van Halen Press Conf. Dallas 1991
    By Nostalgia Act in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07.18.08, 08:42 PM
  3. Dallas Free Show Outro Jam-One of my Favorites
    By Bad to the Bone in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06.08.08, 06:19 PM
  4. Van Halen - Poundcake - Dallas Free Show 1991
    By leroy in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07.28.06, 01:15 PM
  5. Looking For Dallas Free Show Pics
    By Sab in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09.06.00, 07:03 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •