Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:54 PM
    Liked 11,742 Times in 6,504 Posts

Premium Member

Default EARTHQUAKE: Eric Cantor loses primary to Tea Party challenger

Primary Stunner: House Majority Leader Eric Cantor Loses to Underdog Tea Party Challenger

After being all but counted out, tea party activist David Brat pulled off a stunning victory against House Majority Leader Eric Cantor Tuesday in the Virginia GOP primary for the U.S. House of Representatives, the Associated Press reports.

With 220 of 243 precincts reporting, Brat lead Cantor by nearly 11 points. The AP was the first to call the contest for Brat.

Brat, an economics professor who has never held political office, reportedly had just $40,000 in the bank at the end of March against Cantor’s $2 million war chest. He has attacked Cantor, the only Jewish Republican in the House, as a member of the elite establishment GOP who has voted to raise the debt ceiling and supported some immigration reform.

As previously reported by TheBlaze, a feisty crowd of Brat supporters booed Cantor in front of his family at a local party convention last month.

In TV ads, a website and mailers, the Cantor campaign accused Brat of being a “liberal college professor.” The most recent campaign finance reports show Cantor spent more than $1 million in April and May and had more than $1.5 million left in the bank as of June 6.

Brat has accused the House majority leader of being a top cheerleader for “amnesty” for immigrants in the U.S. illegally. Cantor has responded forcefully by boasting in mailers of blocking Senate plans “to give illegal aliens amnesty.”

Though Brat was an undeniable underdog in terms of money and influence, he scored big endorsements from conservative personalities like radio host Laura Ingraham and other tea party activists.

The Washington Post predicted Brat would be a “bust” and “fall far short” of defeating Cantor.

Tiffs between the GOP’s establishment and tea party factions have flared in Virginia since tea party favorite Ken Cuccinelli lost last year’s gubernatorial race. Cantor supporters have met with stiff resistance in trying to wrest control of the state party away from tea party enthusiasts, including in the Cantor’s home district.

Brat teaches at Randolph-Macon College, a small liberal arts school north of Richmond. He raised just more than $200,000 for his campaign, according to the most recent campaign finance reports.

Beltway-based groups also spent heavily in the race. The American Chemistry Council, whose members include many blue chip companies, spent more than $300,000 on TV ads promoting Cantor. It’s the group’s only independent expenditure so far this election year. Political arms of the American College of Radiology, the National Rifle Association and the National Association of Realtors also spent money on ads to promote Cantor.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...ty-challenger/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Liberal republicans beware.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 4,797 Times in 2,448 Posts

Premium Member

That is a surprise but before one goes around celebrating, lets see what happens in the general election. If he wins, then its a tremendous win for the Tea Party. If he loses, you get somebody worse than Cantor

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

I don't know anything about David Brat but if he believes in running balanced budgets then he'll be an improvement over whoever you guys have elected recently.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,114 Times in 8,948 Posts

I can't stand Eric Cantor, so even though I know nothing about this Brat guy, he has to be an improvement.

However, voting to raise the debt ceiling should not be held against Cantor, or anyone else, the Tea Party is way off on this. Promises have been made, you have to keep them. Figure out how to raise revenues slowly over time and cut expenses slowly over time.

Everyone thinks things need to be fixed in one fell swoop. It isn't like that. It is actually pretty fucking simple math, yet no one seems to be able to do it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    That is a surprise but before one goes around celebrating, lets see what happens in the general election. If he wins, then its a tremendous win for the Tea Party. If he loses, you get somebody worse than Cantor
    He has an excellent chance because it is a solidly conservative district.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 4,797 Times in 2,448 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    He has an excellent chance because it is a solidly conservative district.
    I honestly didn't know the makeup. I assumed it was but if it slightly leans conservative or is a toss up, you probably will get a Democrat elected there.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I honestly didn't know the makeup. I assumed it was but if it slightly leans conservative or is a toss up, you probably will get a Democrat elected there.
    This guy is an economics professor at a local university and his opponent is a professor at the same university.

Awkward.

Apparently the voters there were rejecting Cantor's musings about "Immigration Reform," also known as "amnesty for people who came here illegally." There's no reform needed: enforce the laws that are on the books and secure the border. Once we've tried that, then we can talk about what needs to be changed.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:57 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Cantor's position as House Majority Leader was created in 1899 and this is the first time ever that the Leader was defeated in a primary. Cantor has announced he will be stepping down in July, which throws the GOP into the position of scrambling to replace him.

From the National Journal:

A senior Republican leadership aide described the mood as "chaos for the leadership ranks."

"We're absolutely stunned. Honestly, we really can't believe it...Given the speculation Boehner himself may decide not to run again for speaker, the idea had been out there that Cantor would simply walk into the speakership," said the aide. "But now, who the hell would be the next speaker?"—particularly, the aide added, if Paul Ryan doesn't want it, or Rep. Tom Price of Georgia isn't interested.

Brat ran his campaign against Cantor hammering him on crony capitalism and linking that to the district's wallets. But Cantor's disapproval number in the district was 63% and his district seemed to be saying that they didn't like how quickly he was moving up the ranks--it was making him a worse representative for locals.

Last week, Cantor was enjoying a 34-point lead over this guy and lost by 10. That's a 44-point turnaround--insane. Then turnout was unusually high, an increase of nearly 50%. So it could have been a "perfect storm," or perhaps it was a bunch of non-Republicans that showed up to vote against Cantor, which his pollster blames. Most likely, Cantor's pollstar was just flat wrong. Very wrong.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Three Ways Eric Cantor Ticked Off the Right

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) lost in a major primary upset Tuesday night to a political newcomer — economics professor David Brat.

While no one saw Cantor’s loss coming, he’s been in a few public scrapes with the conservative side of the Republican Party over the last year. Here’s a quick summary of three recent examples of how he veered from the base in ways that likely contributed to his historic loss:

1) The House’s Controversial ‘Doc Fix’ Vote

Back in March, GOP leaders faced a tough vote. They were under pressure to pass legislation that would avoid a 24 percent cut to Medicare doctor reimbursement rates.

The so-called “doc fix” vote is one that had happened numerous times before: In 1997, Congress created a plan to slowly cut doctor payments as part of a plan to balance the budget — but then routinely passed bills to avoid the cuts.

This year, many were hopeful that the entire 1997 plan could be scrapped. But as the April 1 deadline approached, GOP leaders decided to shelve plans for a permanent fix, and pass just another temporary fix.

That made House passage doubtful. Republicans called up the bill under a process that lets the House pass bills quickly — they get less debate, but they need a two-thirds majority to pass.

About 50 or 60 Democrats would be needed to pass the bill, and that was assuming that every Republican voted for it. But rather than see where the votes lay by holding a recorded vote, GOP leaders conspired with Democratic leaders to quickly pass the bill in a voice vote.

.Many Republicans were stunned, since few GOP members were present to call for a recorded vote. Those who were there seemed too stunned to make the request.

Later that day, an angry Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Texas) took to the floor to say the move was “outrageous.” Gohmert said he and others would make sure to always have someone on the floor to prevent that from happening again.

“So I am very surprised today that with us in the majority, our own leadership in charge, something as important as the doctor fix would be brought to the floor on a voice vote,” he said. “Now I know that I need to get with some other members and make sure we have people on the floor, since we won’t be sure what our own leadership is going to do.”

2) The Sneaky STOCK Act Vote: Another Process Controversy

The STOCK Act was widely hailed as a way to ensure members of Congress and senior officials don’t profit from their inside knowledge of policy decisions.

Among other things, the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act required senior government officials to put some of their financial information online.

That requirement prompted complaints from many of these senior officials that the law required too much information to be made public. But rather than debate ways to change the law in open, GOP leaders quickly called up a bill in 2013 to repeal the requirement, and it was passed in a voice vote.

Cantor himself called up the bill and passed it, with no debate.

While the move was not debated much among members, it was widely noticed in the press and among conservative groups, in part because of the speed and silence used to quickly amend a law that most praised as a transparency breakthrough when it first passed.

In one stroke, the quick vote showed the power that leaders like Cantor sometimes feel compelled to wield, but also sowed some discontent among conservatives.

3) And of Course, Immigration

While no one issue can be singled out as the reason for Cantor’s loss, immigration was undoubtedly one of the key factors. Just a few weeks ago, Cantor openly expressed support for legislation that would allow illegal minors to gain legal status for serving in the military.

“I am mindful and support the fact that if a kid who’s brought here by his or her parents unbeknownst to that child, has never lived anywhere else or remembers living anywhere else, and wants to serve in our military, should be able to do so,” Cantor said on the House floor on May 22. “And it’s my position that that child should have a path to citizenship after that service.”

Cantor was talking about the ENLIST Act, an idea that some Republicans tried to put on the 2015 defense policy bill. Cantor said he supported the concept, but thought the defense bill was the wrong place to have the debate.

But Cantor clearly indicated he was looking at ways to advance this idea.

“I remain committed to what the intent of the ENLIST Act is trying to achieve,” he said in May. “There are members involved who are working on the necessary language to see whether it is possible for us to move forward on that measure.”

Like other GOP leaders, Cantor had been mindful to say that major progress on immigration was not possible until President Barack Obama demonstrated that he could be trusted to enforce U.S. border laws.

But many Republicans believed they saw the writing on the wall, and feared Cantor would quickly engineer some kind of immigration deal with Obama at some point. David Brat, who beat Cantor Tuesday night, said repeatedly that Cantor favored “amnesty,” and warned that a Cantor win would lead to a deal in the near future.

The flood of unaccompanied children over the southern U.S. border, which seemed to spike over the last week or two, seemed to serve as something that heightened these fears on the right even more. Many feared Democrats would pressure leaders like Cantor to reach some deal on legal status under the guise of helping thousands of these children, many of whom are living under squalid temporary conditions in Arizona.

Another warning sign on immigration fell on the day of Cantor’s primary contest. Senators released legislation proposing $1 billion in new spending to deal with immigration situation at the border, which many are now calling an emergency humanitarian crisis.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...off-the-right/

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

So we can pass $1 billion in emergency spending to help people that entered our country illegally, but we have to "wait for the details from the investigation" before we help our veterans get the care that was promised to them?

Ladies and gentlemen, the United States Senate.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Cantor is my congressman and nobody can fucking believe that a guy who spent 5 million dollars to be reelected was beaten by a guy who only spent 122 thousand dollars!

Were all saying "holy shit"!

I never even saw a campaign sign for Brat until maybe 2 weeks ago. And, there wasn't even going to be a democratic challenger until one appeared sometime over the weekend. And like someone else said, the democrat is a professor at Randolph Macon just like Brat is.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:04 PM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 1,004 Posts

Premium Member

The media is already gunning for David Brat:

http://news.yahoo.com/brat-campaign-...173536113.html
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Cantor Spent More on Steakhouses Than The Guy Who Beat Him Spent on His Whole Campaign

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor lost his Republican primary Tuesday despite outspending his opponent Dave Brat’s entire campaign on steakhouses alone.

Cantor’s campaign spent over $168,000 on steakhouses for where it held fundraisers, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, while Brat’s campaign spent just $122,700 total.

Cantor, whose unexpected loss shocked Washington, spent over $5 million during the campaign—meaning the 28,898 votes Cantor won Tuesday cost him $173.94 apiece. The 36,110 votes Brat received to secure his 11-point victory cost him only $3.40 each.

Eric Cantor and Dave Brat Campaign Spending

http://time.com/2857694/eric-cantor-dave-brat-spending/
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Hell has frozen over

Ronan Farrow Asks Chris Matthews About David Brat & the Tea Party, Then Gets an Answer He Probably Didn’t Expect: ‘Well, First of All…

MSNBC host Chris Matthews defended the Tea Party and lavished praise on David Brat Wednesday, during a passionate appearance on Ronan Farrow’s afternoon program.

Discussing Brat’s stunning upset over House Majority Leader Eric Cantor Tuesday night, Farrow noted the Tea Party candidate and his Democratic opponent both teach at the same school, before adding that Brat had a lower “rate my professor” score.

He then asked Matthews, “Is it rare to see that kind of brazen intellectualism, particularly in populist candidates like this?”

“Well, first of all, I don’t think you can assume that the liberals are smarter than the conservative professors,” Matthews immediately shot back. “I think that’s crazy talk like that and it’s exactly the kind of attitude conservatives can’t stand. I don’t know which professor is more popular, but that doesn’t mean it’s a better professor, first of all.”

"Secondly, I was listening to Brat last night, I listened to him today, I think he’s very sophisticated for a politician,” he continued. “He’s certainly up to the ranks in most politicians I’ve ever dealt with. He speaks in a speculative manner, in an intellectual manner, he can handle any debate on this program or my program.”

“So this looking down our noses at Tea Party people has got to stop,” Mathews added. “They have a message, they are as American as any liberal is, and they are really angry at the failure of the system.”

“So this looking down our noses at Tea Party people has got to stop.”
    Share: ..Concluding his passionate argument, Matthews said, “We can’t control the deficit, we can’t control the debt, we can’t control the border. What good is government good at?”