Register
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 6,842 Times in 3,581 Posts

Premium Member

Default Shooting on campus in Seattle

Thursday June 5, 2014

SEATTLE — A lone gunman armed with a shotgun and knife opened fire Thursday in a building at a small Seattle university, fatally wounding one person before a student subdued him with pepper spray as he tried to reload, police said.

A student building monitor at Seattle Pacific University disarmed the gunman after he entered the foyer at Otto Miller Hall, and several other people jumped on top of him and pinned him down until police officers arrived, police said.

A 19-year-old man died at Harborview Medical Center. Three other people were also taken to the hospital. A critically injured 20-year-old woman was taken to surgery, hospital spokeswoman Susan Gregg said. A 24-year-old man and a 22-year-old man were in satisfactory condition. One of those two men was not shot, Gregg said.

None of the victims was immediately identified.

At a news conference Thursday night, Assistant Police Chief Paul McDonagh said the suspect in custody was a [privileged] white male “approximately 26 years of age” who was not a student at the school. McDonagh said his name would not be released until he’s booked into jail for investigation of murder.

The afternoon shooting came a week before the end of the school year, and the situation was particularly tense when police initially reported that they were searching for a second suspect.

“It appears the suspect acted alone,” McDonagh said. Initially, “there was a report of another person with a weapon, but (investigators) have not confirmed that.”

He said he did not know the gunman’s motive or intended target. Detectives are “working as quickly as we can to figure it out,” McDonagh said.

The university locked down its campus for several hours, and it alerted students and staff to stay inside. Some students were taking finals in the same building that the shooter entered.

“There are a number of heroes in this,” McDonagh said. “The people around him (the gunman) stepped up.”

Multiple shots were fired, and the gunman had additional rounds, McDonagh said.

“But for the great response by the people of Seattle Pacific, this incident might have been much more tragic,” he said.

Both the young man who died and the young woman suffered gunshot wounds to the body, Seattle Fire Assistant Chief Jay Hagen told the news conference. One of the less seriously injured men suffered “pellet-type wounds” to his neck and chest.

The fourth person taken to the hospital suffered minor injuries during the struggle with the suspect, police said.

On Thursday evening, people packed the First Free Methodist Church on campus for a service of prayers and song. So many people crowded into the building that dozens of people gathered on a lawn near the church and formed their own groups as the sun set.

“We’re a community that relies on Jesus Christ for strength, and we’ll need that at this point in time,” said Daniel Martin, president of Seattle Pacific University.

About 4,270 undergraduate and graduate students attend the private Christian university. Its 40-acre campus is in a leafy residential neighborhood about 10 minutes from downtown Seattle. The school canceled classes and other activities Friday.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/05/multipl...ng-in-seattle/

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 6,842 Times in 3,581 Posts

Premium Member

The Seattle campus hero who overpowered a gunman as he tried to reload his shotgun was identified today as Jon Meis, a teaching assistant at the school who was doubling as a security desk monitor.

Meis, 22, used pepper spray to subdue accused gunman Aaron R. Ybarra after Ybarra allegedly shot several students at Seattle Pacific University Thursday and was reloading his weapon, officials told ABC News affiliate KOMO.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-iden...ry?id=24021357

The suspect, 26-year-old Aaron R. Ybarra, has a long history of mental health problems for which he had been treated and medicated, said his attorney, public defender Ramona Brandes. He is on suicide watch at the jail.

"He is cognizant of the suffering of the victims and their families and the entire Seattle Pacific community," Brandes said. "He is sorry."
    http://www.wjla.com/articles/2014/06...ra-103875.html

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Jon Meis is getting married soon and people who looked him up on the internet found his wedding registry for crate and barrel and Target at theknot and bought out everything that was available online and even started a honey moon fund for the new Meis's

how sweet...I tried to buy him a place setting or something but like I said...everything available online was snapped up quickly

they say he's getting a little weirded out by the attention tho

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1820434

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

So......United States: 2, Canada: 1..........Canada, it's your move!
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    So......United States: 2, Canada: 1..........Canada, it's your move!
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post
    You look at the first page of threads when you go into Non and right off you see "Shooting in Canada", "Shooting in Las Vegas", "Shooting in Seattle"....all in a matter of about a week and a half.....suddenly seems to be the "in thing" lately to just go about and start blowing people away which makes me go ......someone in one of these threads said after the Las Vegas shooting which happened after Canada that we down here in the States just had to show them up and do it even crazier...then Seattle....I kind of figured it was now Canada's move....

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

You look at the first page of threads when you go into Non and right off you see "Shooting in Canada", "Shooting in Las Vegas", "Shooting in Seattle"....all in a matter of about a week and a half.....suddenly seems to be the "in thing" lately to just go about and start blowing people away which makes me go ......someone in one of these threads said after the Las Vegas shooting which happened after Canada that we down here in the States just had to show them up and do it even crazier...then Seattle....I kind of figured it was now Canada's move....
    I figured that, but wasn't sure. But you forgot about the assault on the Georgia courthouse, the kid in California, the Slenderman bullshit, etc. Fortunately for Canada, they'll never catch us.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 6,699 Times in 3,719 Posts

I'm kind of hoping we can't top you guys on this. you got 10 times as many people so we should we got another 8 mass shootings before it's our turn. So that'll be at least 2 or 3 weeks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I hope you don't either Mike......Now I see today another one in Oregon.....what the fuck is going on!!?!?!?!? I really do think that sensationalizing it in the media has something to do with it.....other lunatics see this shit on the news and the idea gets planted in their minds....next thing you know screwballs are coming out of the woodwork shooting up the town......I want to move to Canada!