Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Eruption
    Join Date
    12.26.13
    Age
    21
    Location
    East Virginia
    Posts
    1,285
    Favorite VH Album

    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Likes
    3,248
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

    Default My guitar solo performance at my local Music & Arts Spring Recital

    Here it is:


    My tutor named it without my permission after I kept shutting down ideas, so he picked "Eddie Vision".

    It was definitely the only guitar-solo type performance in the recital, the rest were all songs, a LOT of classical too.
    Next time I'll try and clean up the tone a bit.

    Tell me this does NOT sounds like '91-93 tours. I feel pretty proud of this.

  2. #2
    On Fire
    Join Date
    09.04.00
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    341
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

    10.04.17 @ 08:41 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

    Default

    Better than me kid!
    Better use it up before it gets old!

  3. #3
    Eruption Dr5115's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.04.04
    Age
    44
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,295
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Likes
    172
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts


    Donor

    Nice!

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,398
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Likes
    6,128
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    Here it is:


    My tutor named it without my permission after I kept shutting down ideas, so he picked "Eddie Vision".

    It was definitely the only guitar-solo type performance in the recital, the rest were all songs, a LOT of classical too.
    Next time I'll try and clean up the tone a bit.

    Tell me this does NOT sounds like '91-93 tours. I feel pretty proud of this.
    Good job , bro !
    Sound like you had a fun time there , and the audience's clapping in certain spots brought back some fond memories . I wish I'd recorded all my gigs at that age too . Well done
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  5. #5
    Eruption
    Join Date
    12.26.13
    Age
    21
    Location
    East Virginia
    Posts
    1,285
    Favorite VH Album

    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Likes
    3,248
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

    Default

    Thank you all!

    Quote Originally Posted by vhMcG View Post
    Good job , bro !
    Sound like you had a fun time there , and the audience's clapping in certain spots brought back some fond memories . I wish I'd recorded all my gigs at that age too . Well done
    This was my first on-stage performance, I hope there are a lot more in my future, and I hope I can share those too.

    Does anyone have any criticisms on things I can change around?

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,398
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Likes
    6,128
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Congrats on your first live performance ! Hope you continue to share your stuff on this forum . There's nothing to criticize , yet allow me to offer a hint ...

    Your guitar sound will come through clearer if the person who's recording you is on the same side as you and your amp , or is closer to the stage itself .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  7. #7
    Eruption garbeaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.11
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,498
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Likes
    343
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

    Default

    I would say practice with a metronome. Play everything you are practicing as slowly as you need to in order to play without any mistakes. VERY gradually increase the tempo as you practice, always bearing in mind that you can only increase the tempo once you can confidently play at each tempo without any mistakes. Practice like this at least one hour a day, but if you put in more time practicing you will be rewarded greatly.

    Do this and you can't go wrong. This is basically how every good guitar player, especially the shredders, have practiced since the beginning of time!

  8. #8
    Hot For Teacher Ineedalogin's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.02.02
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    320
    Favorite VH Album

    OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    09.30.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 97 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    Thanks for depressing me. I hate watching videos where a kid more than half my age plays better than me. Think I'll go home and smack my wife and kick my kids. Hope you feel better about yourself now. Their abuse is on YOUR hands.




    Great job.

  9. #9
    Eruption
    Join Date
    12.26.13
    Age
    21
    Location
    East Virginia
    Posts
    1,285
    Favorite VH Album

    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Likes
    3,248
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ineedalogin View Post
    Thanks for depressing me. I hate watching videos where a kid more than half my age plays better than me. Think I'll go home and smack my wife and kick my kids. Hope you feel better about yourself now. Their abuse is on YOUR hands.




    Great job.
    Thanks for the laugh! Please don't actually abuse your family

    Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    I would say practice with a metronome. Play everything you are practicing as slowly as you need to in order to play without any mistakes. VERY gradually increase the tempo as you practice, always bearing in mind that you can only increase the tempo once you can confidently play at each tempo without any mistakes. Practice like this at least one hour a day, but if you put in more time practicing you will be rewarded greatly.

    Do this and you can't go wrong. This is basically how every good guitar player, especially the shredders, have practiced since the beginning of time!
    I'm definitely going to need to do this if I'm going to stop my skill from stagnating! Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by vhMcG View Post
    Congrats on your first live performance ! Hope you continue to share your stuff on this forum . There's nothing to criticize , yet allow me to offer a hint ...

    Your guitar sound will come through clearer if the person who's recording you is on the same side as you and your amp , or is closer to the stage itself .
    That's the plan for next time. The recording of this was an afterthought, as I was sitting next to the person recording before I went on. I thought, "here, record this real quick for me"

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,398
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 01:59 PM
    Likes
    6,128
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The fact that you have your first gig on tape is something that most of us can't say . Kudos for that !

    Good luck on future shows . Keep us posted
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    17,183
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Likes
    1,826
    Liked 1,472 Times in 899 Posts

    Default

    Very cool!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Miming will be the death of live music performance - Telegraph
    By bklynboy68 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01.24.13, 09:16 AM
  2. So, I am in my local music store today...
    By Dave's Dreidel in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01.09.09, 06:58 AM
  3. Local music store catches on fire... many instruments injured/dead
    By Lightning Fingers in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09.06.06, 10:27 AM
  4. Floyd Rose/Performance guitar
    By Jape Man in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07.29.06, 02:20 PM
  5. Local Music in High Definition!
    By paradiddle in forum Musicians' Corner
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03.27.02, 09:48 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •