Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 799 Posts

California Bill to require written consent on college campuses SB967

A newly amended bill from a California lawmaker would require college students to stop in the heat of passion and establish verbal or written consent before having sex anywhere on campus, reports L.A. Weekly.

SB 967, amended last week by state Sen. Kevin de Leon (D-Los Angeles), would mandate that college students obtain "an affirmative, unambiguous, and conscious decision by each participant to engage in mutually agreed-upon sexual activity."

Last month, the U.S. Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights released a list of 55 schools that face federal probes into their handling of sexual assault cases. De Leon said his bill is meant to confront sexual assault problems head-on.

"Obviously, there is a problem," he said in the report. "SB 967 will change the equation so the system is not stacked against survivors by establishing an affirmative consent policy to make it clear that only 'yes' means 'yes.'"

According to the language of the bill, "consent must be ongoing throughout a sexual encounter, and can be revoked at any time. The existence of a dating relationship between the persons involved, or the fact of past sexual relations between them, should never by itself be assumed to be an indicator of consent."

Despite the bill's noble intentions, not everyone is sold on the proposed legislation.
    http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-C...-Sex-on-Campus

Guy to girl:

"To be sure of your continuing consent throughout the act, I'll need to videotape this, for your protection, of course."
    Last edited by The Rover; 06.05.14 at 09:31 PM.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:19 PM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

We've just gone nuts. (Forgive my rambling rant to follow.)

Last September at California's Occidental College, a guy and a girl decided to have sex. It was consensual, though both were drinking. Neither were incapacitated. She text him to make sure he had a condom. She also text her friend telling her she was going to have sex with this guy.

And they did.

The girl spoke with Occidental employees, including a professor of sociology who told her that the guy fit the profile of other rapists on campus. How so? "[H]e had a high GPA in high school, was his class valedictorian, was on [a sports team], and was 'from a good family.'" A week later, she filed charges. Police determined the sex was consensual. They had been drinking, but both were able to make judgement calls, and neither were drunk.

However, the feds are cracking down on college rape prevention, so Occidental hired attorney Marilou Mirkovich to serve as an “external adjudicator” empowered to issue a judgment in the case. She determined that the accuser absolutely consented to sex, but by drinking--not by being drunk or passed out, but just ingesting alcohol--she was incapacitated and therefore the girl was unable to give consent and the guy had raped her.

Occidental found that the guy had raped the accuser, and he was expelled. His appeal was denied. Of course, if all sex with alcohol is rape due to lack of consent, then the guy was raped as well, not that that was ever brought up.

After the Santa Barbara shootings and the #YesAllWomen movement, my Facebook feed was filled with my liberal friends posting columns telling me that, as a man, I am guilty of perpetuating rape culture, period. Columns that say it's okay that women be afraid of me late at night because men commit 99% of rapes.

Now, back in August, my girlfriend went to visit her friend in Oakland. The night she arrived, after dinner, they were standing in front of her apartment building. My girlfriend saw a young Black guy in a hoodie approaching them. She literally had this thought: 'I bet if I crossed the street, this guy would think I am racist.' Smash cut to the guy approaching them with a gun and robbing them. Now, 85% of violent crime in Oakland is committed by Blacks. But is it okay to judge in that scenario?

No. You're a racist in that scenario. But women are allowed to judge all men in every scenario? Sorry, but it either has to be both or none. It can't be just one, not the other.

This bill uses "incapacitation" as a reason for one's consent to be invalid, but if "incapacitated" is to be defined the way council did at Occidental, then all sex involving any alcohol is rape. I mean not all. The guy's consent isn't marred by alcohol.

But this is the key phrase in the bill. "Lack of protest or resistance does not mean consent, nor does silence mean consent." Pretty much, if you're a guy in college in California, your partner must sign a contract, I guess, or must be filmed consenting.

That may not matter. At Occidental, the accused could not cross-examine the accuser. Besides, even by not raping, you're part of rape culture, and you're guilty.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 06.05.14 at 11:20 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

In my college fraternity we had a campus security officer come and talk to us as part of a risk management seminar we were doing. He basically outlined that in order to protect ourselves, we basically had to get them on camera consenting and take a picture of their driver's license to make sure they aren't under age.

Of course he was being a little facetious, but he was trying to make a point that we need to be always be aware of what we're doing. Apparently his joking is now reality.

I know of a guy in college who got wasted with a girl, they went back to her room, and she jumped his bones. After sobering up the next day and regretting her decision because she had a boyfriend back home, she talked to her roommate who told her she might have been raped. Then the girl confronts the guy accusing him of rape, the guy freaks out, people start taking sides, and before you know it a group of friends was torn apart. She never pressed charges, but based on the way things are now, she might have won. Crazy.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Simple solution? Wait until marriage for sex.

..with a straight face even!
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    We've just gone nuts. (Forgive my rambling rant to follow.)

Last September at California's Occidental College, a guy and a girl decided to have sex. It was consensual, though both were drinking. Neither were incapacitated. She text him to make sure he had a condom. She also text her friend telling her she was going to have sex with this guy.

And they did.

The girl spoke with Occidental employees, including a professor of sociology who told her that the guy fit the profile of other rapists on campus. How so? "[H]e had a high GPA in high school, was his class valedictorian, was on [a sports team], and was 'from a good family.'" A week later, she filed charges. Police determined the sex was consensual. They had been drinking, but both were able to make judgement calls, and neither were drunk.

However, the feds are cracking down on college rape prevention, so Occidental hired attorney Marilou Mirkovich to serve as an “external adjudicator” empowered to issue a judgment in the case. She determined that the accuser absolutely consented to sex, but by drinking--not by being drunk or passed out, but just ingesting alcohol--she was incapacitated and therefore the girl was unable to give consent and the guy had raped her.

Occidental found that the guy had raped the accuser, and he was expelled. His appeal was denied. Of course, if all sex with alcohol is rape due to lack of consent, then the guy was raped as well, not that that was ever brought up.

After the Santa Barbara shootings and the #YesAllWomen movement, my Facebook feed was filled with my liberal friends posting columns telling me that, as a man, I am guilty of perpetuating rape culture, period. Columns that say it's okay that women be afraid of me late at night because men commit 99% of rapes.

Now, back in August, my girlfriend went to visit her friend in Oakland. The night she arrived, after dinner, they were standing in front of her apartment building. My girlfriend saw a young Black guy in a hoodie approaching them. She literally had this thought: 'I bet if I crossed the street, this guy would think I am racist.' Smash cut to the guy approaching them with a gun and robbing them. Now, 85% of violent crime in Oakland is committed by Blacks. But is it okay to judge in that scenario?

No. You're a racist in that scenario. But women are allowed to judge all men in every scenario? Sorry, but it either has to be both or none. It can't be just one, not the other.

This bill uses "incapacitation" as a reason for one's consent to be invalid, but if "incapacitated" is to be defined the way council did at Occidental, then all sex involving any alcohol is rape. I mean not all. The guy's consent isn't marred by alcohol.

But this is the key phrase in the bill. "Lack of protest or resistance does not mean consent, nor does silence mean consent." Pretty much, if you're a guy in college in California, your partner must sign a contract, I guess, or must be filmed consenting.

That may not matter. At Occidental, the accused could not cross-examine the accuser. Besides, even by not raping, you're part of rape culture, and you're guilty.
    Christ. WTF is this country coming to? Our forefathers fought for all of this bullshit?

My son is at the stinky pinky age. God forbid someone should press charges.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

so if you sign the consent, but were drunk when doing so, couldn't you still claim that you were incapacitated and unable to make a decision?

so whats next? a breathalyzer first?

seriously.... one in four college women report having been raped. That is absolutely mind blowing. Not to turn the blame on the young women, because they have enough pain to carry, but the education of college kids about drinking, particularly binge drinking could change those statistics

you can't stress enough the fact that as a young woman or man, you are away from home for the first time, living among strangers and you have to keep your wits about you, simple as that. and how many young men have had their lives turned upside down because they were incapacitated and didn't know that they were taking things too far.

college kids need to learn that alcohol impairs judgment and leads to bad and sometimes tragic things

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

I'm sorry, I call absolute fucking bullshit on one out of four women in college being raped.

Drinking too much and then wishing they had not done it the next day is not rape.

It's called regret.

Do women get raped, of course. Is alcohol involved a lot of the time...of course. But one in four? No way.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

"to establish verbal or written consent"

so basically you can't have sex with a girl that's passed out drunk and can't consent. No shit. Is a new law really needed to clarify this?

Here's a thought/advice for men. Don't have sex with some drunk chick you just met - this often leads to trouble. Better advice, don't have sex with any chick you're not married to / you plan on marrying. The rape accusations drop dramatically when you do this I find. When you sleep with dogs sometimes you get fleas.

Advice for women. A nice percentage of men are f-ing pigs. Don't put yourself in a position with a strange dude in which you can be taken advantage of. Because it'll probably happen. And calling the cops won't undo what happened.
    Last edited by It's Mike; 06.06.14 at 08:42 PM.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I'm sorry, I call absolute fucking bullshit on one out of four women in college being raped.

Drinking too much and then wishing they had not done it the next day is not rape.

It's called regret.

Do women get raped, of course. Is alcohol involved a lot of the time...of course. But one in four? No way.

Watch what you say. We're all perpetuators of rape culture, ya know.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    "to establish verbal or written consent"

so basically you can't have sex with a girl that's passed out drunk and can't consent. No shit. Is a new law really needed to clarify this?

Here's a thought/advice for men. Don't have sex with some drunk chick you just met - this often leads to trouble. Better advice, don't have sex with any chick you're not married to / you plan on marrying. The rape accusations drop dramatically when you do this I find. When you sleep with dogs sometimes you get fleas.

Advice for women. A nice percentage of men are f-ing pigs. Don't put yourself in a position with a strange dude in which you can be taken advantage of. Because it'll probably happen. And calling the cops won't undo what happened.
    I think it goes a bit farther than that, man. As I explained above, Occidental College, which is one of the 55 colleges the feds are investigating regarding their response to sexual assault, has ruled that any amount of alcohol incapacitates a woman and makes her consent invalid. That paints this part of the proposed law--

The complainant was incapacitated due to the influence of drugs, alcohol, or medication, so that the complainant could not understand the fact, nature, or extent of the sexual situation.
    --quite differently than what most might consider "incapacitated." That you can't grab a drink with a girl, get her consent, and have sex with her without being a rapist is insane.

There are also things that can erase consent after you've gotten it, such as:

The accused’s belief in consent arose from the self-induced intoxication or recklessness of the accused.
    In other words, if you're drinking you cannot receive consent.

Er, I mean "affirmative consent." The law uses the term "affirmative consent," which is "an affirmative, unambiguous, and conscious decision by each participant to engage in mutually agreed-upon sexual activity. Consent is informed, freely given, and voluntary." Further, "Lack of protest or resistance does not mean consent, nor does silence mean consent. Consent must be ongoing throughout a sexual encounter and can be revoked at any time."

This means you have to keep getting "affirmative consent" as the sex goes on, because "consent must be ongoing," and "affirmative." But remember: neither "silence," nor "lack of resistance" mean "consent." So if you do get "affirmative consent" at the beginning, she can still accuse you of rape--and you'd be guilty--if she says she changed her mind halfway through but didn't say anything or resist and you never asked again to make sure she still consented.

This is a pretty shitty law. Luckily it only covers college students and their position in the college.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 06.07.14 at 12:00 AM.