Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

Default [Quick Question] What did he do to get the tone on the VH3/1998 tour?

These tour always stuck out and I always enjoyed the sound, albeit less than other tours, it still is significant. I can't for the life of me figure out what to do to get the sound. Here's an example:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    These tour always stuck out and I always enjoyed the sound, albeit less than other tours, it still is significant. I can't for the life of me figure out what to do to get the sound. Here's an example:
    Make sure you wait for those who actually know first hand to chime in, but to my knowledge (with lots of research and trying it myself), it seems to be this:

Modded 5150 amp or 5150 II, load box (not being used for attenuation) to split the signal off to stereo, pass raw signal thru to a single center cab. [Likely a Peavey 4x12 loaded with greenbacks]

For the wet cabs left and right of the center raw cab, they are signal delayed but NOT detuned like the Balance Era. Someone will have to chime in the exact signal delay/detune settings because I can't recall them, but I know there is much tighter-to-no detune, and then tight signal delays.

Then EVH's usual ping pong stereo delays (try 250 and 500ms or so) and out to power amps to drive the wet cabs. Wet cabs should be Peavey 4x12's with stock speakers.

When you're all done, you have 3 channels of audio being mixed "in the air" and not electronically. A full Wet/Dry/Wet rig like this sounds massive. It's also quite like lugging around and playing through an entire recording studio worth of gear
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 06.02.14 at 10:13 PM.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Peavey Wolfgang. Peavey 5150 II. There's a grind to the distorted tone that comes from the Peavey Wolfgang. Sounds like it to me anyway. Then his old three cab setup w/d/w minus the harmonizer detune.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:44 AM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Yup, like MRJ and AFU said: PV Wolf, 5150II, some extra delayed cabs (maybe 8ms?), and a good helping of gain will get you that basic sound.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Yup, like MRJ and AFU said: PV Wolf, 5150II, some extra delayed cabs (maybe 8ms?), and a good helping of gain will get you that basic sound.
    I was thinking the signal delays were in the +/- 7-9ms range on the wet cabs, but I'm not 100% sure. In the past I've focused more on the Balance tone, so I can't recall the exact VHIII details -- although I know I've dialed it up about perfectly using my Balance rig, and just changing the Detune and signal delay settings

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Put an SLO behind the wall of Peaveys?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    Tried it, nope lol

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

thats just ignorant

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Why? I was joking. But it's well known Ed and Hartley reverse-engineered an SLO for the first 5150 prototype(s) and there was a lawsuit over it that was quietly settled.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Why? I was joking. But it's well known Ed and Hartley reverse-engineered an SLO for the first 5150 prototype(s) and there was a lawsuit over it that was quietly settled.
    thats interesting. Mike Soldano is a friend and the first 5150 he ever saw was mine at his shop back when he was in van nuys ca. he went through mine with a fine tooth and said there were some similar things but nothing that he cared about, mostly because of how cheaply it was made and had a different gain stage for the lead channel

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Well, Mike was standing two ft. from me when one of his employees answered in affirmative when I asked about this. He had some other dirt too, but I don't want to hijack too much here.

Plenty of juicy reading out there.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/159...atics-compared

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:26 AM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

Didn't I read in 'Guitar Shop' magazine , that Eddie did use a Soldano for an early reference point ? Something about "he liked the high gain circuit , but not the very slight delay between hitting the note and hearing it come through the speaker . Eddie was used to that immediate Marshall wallop , and wanted that in his 5150 amp ..."

Something like that . I don't have the issue in front of me ...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhMcG View Post
    Didn't I read in 'Guitar Shop' magazine , that Eddie did use a Soldano for an early reference point ? Something about "he liked the high gain circuit , but not the very slight delay between hitting the note and hearing it come through the speaker . Eddie was used to that immediate Marshall wallop , and wanted that in his 5150 amp ..."

Something like that . I don't have the issue in front of me ...
    I just read a (former?)Peavey manager say Ed wanted the rhythm channel to be his Marshall and the lead to be the SLO. I remember Ed making that "wallop" statement too. Pretty sure that's the exact word he used. Not sure if he sent the two actual heads to Peavey. He may have. I know he brought his number one cab to Mississippi and said copy it.

And supposedly Judgement Day was an SLO. Sure sounds exactly like my Peavy 5150 to me. So if it is a Soldano Peavey did a pretty good job copying it.

I ignored the rhythm channel until recently. I don't think it sounds like VH. But cranked it sounds pretty good. Darker and more responsive than I expected. Less compressed than the lead channel.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

I can't stand the tone from this era. Sounds like a buzzsaw and way too much pre-amp gain. Don't forget another thing heavily influencing his tone (especially re: his attack) was that damn metal pick. It may not have given his body cancer like he claimed, but it was a cancer to his tone.

Around that time, I had a similar-ish set-up, but I traded the 5150s for Marshall JCM 800s. I love the wet cab, dry cab.

The 5150s just didn't have enough grit for me. You really have to be aggressive with the JCM 800's, but I like how the attack sounds with the gravel. In Eddie's case, the gain and presence are so jacked up, his tone kind of bleeds into a big mess.

I hated the clean channel on all of them when they were isolated. I like more attack, with a little crunch when needed. I would just mic and old Fender Vibro-king. Who knew I could increase the tone I wanted while cutting my costs by 75%?

I guess we all evolve -- tire of our sound, tweak and modify as we get sick of our old shit. Eddie went in one direction, I went in the complete opposite way. He's a huge fan of that preamp gain, while trying to retain the sounds of his earlier Marshalls. I think it is impossible.

For me, I've ditched the Marshall JCMs for a new model Marshall Plexi. My tone sounds nothing even close to VH anymore.

Hell, on my Plexi, I found the best settings are Mids all the way up, Treb all the way up and Bass down between 2 - 5 depending on how loud the volume is. Presence cranks up almost all the way, just short of maxed. The Plexi growls with more gain versus what I get from the old JCMs and especially the 5150s. I have several overdrive pedals I keep experimenting with when I want to go full Nigel Tuffnel and go up to 11. I can never find what I'm looking for here.

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Well, Mike was standing two ft. from me when one of his employees answered in affirmative when I asked about this. He had some other dirt too, but I don't want to hijack too much here.

Plenty of juicy reading out there.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/159...atics-compared
    That's an interesting read! You kinda have to wonder how Behringer gets away with what they do? I mean the 6260 is a 5150 ripoff and some of their others are rips too. Obviosly quality plays a big part- I've always found with Behringer that they are very hit and miss- I think from my experience, it would be fair to say that 60% of their stuff is junk and the other 40% is surprisingly good.

I remember when I first got my 6505 the first thing I thought was that the rythme channel was modeled on the Marshall- I play the old stuff on that channel and the new stuff on lead. I do wonder how much you can alter an amp circuit- wouldn't it be hard to be innovative with new amplifier designs now?
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!