Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Default My '78 Frankenstein Build

Here are some progress pics of my '78 Black and White Frankenstein build that I started to replace my Fender Eric Clapton strat that I turned into a VH-1 style guitar. I wanted to return my "Blackie" Clapton guitar back to more or less stock condition and get a really accurate VH-1 Frankenstein built to all my specs and desires...

I started with a Musikraft Franky body made of Northern Ash. I paid extra for Musikraft's "Roasting" process in which they roast the blank stock of Northern Ash to remove moisture and leave a Caramel color to the wood. I opted to rout the humbucker cavity straight since I am NOT slanting my pickup. I'm using a new, F-spaced Dimarzio Super Distortion so I don't need to slant the pickup. I did not do the usual strat style Frankenstein routs for the other pickups since this is a purpose built "first and second album" guitar that has a black pickguard.

I had the neck made by a member on another forum (I saw some great pics of a '78 neck that he did and I went with him). I think the neck is amazing in it's accuracy. It has the generally agreed upon '78 Frankenstein characteristics...ie. birdseye maple neck, regular maple fretboard, rosewood fretmarkers, brass sidemarkers and jumbo frets, but I opted for Stainless Steel frets.

I'm also using a white TUSQXL nut instead of the brass one pictured on the first album cover. I'll be attaching chrome Sperzel locking and staggered tuners and I will use a thick neckplate from Callaham with the "61071" Frankenstein serial number engraved.

The real killer thing about this guitar is the vintage Fender style tremolo that I will be installing that was created by a friend of mine from another forum and myself based on a kitchen sink of vintage Fender tremolo mods that we got mostly from the Italian luthier and amp builder Galleazzo Frudua who has a great series of YouTube clips with tips for keeping standard strat tremolos in tune (among a lot of other cool videos with setup tips).

The tremolo uses a stock Gotoh baseplate (slightly modded by my friend), a Callaham block (again, modded by my friend) with the Delrin insert in the tremolo arm cavity and I used the matching Callaham "virtual pop-in" arm. I used Callaham's stainless steel bridge screws (also modded by my friend) and I capped it off with vintage Fender "Patent Pending" saddles (and you guessed it, my friend modified these too!).

The guitar body was painted in a non-relic'ed '78 black and white striped paint scheme. The paint was done by one of the best replica builders I have ever come across and I will refrain from naming him right now because of potential lawsuit trouble.

I also got a very accurate black pickguard made by another forum member and he has helped me get all the little details correct, excepting for the straight humbucker rout that I chose to use for this project and I requested that Kevin left the "bubble" near the volume knob off of this guard. This pickguard has (of course) a Gibson arrow pointer and a white strat "Tone" knob for the single volume control and the "extra" holes and contours that are very close to Ed's original homemade pickguard.

The proof is in the pudding and I will post audio clips and final pics of the assembled and painted guitar once I get it back from my tech for final intonation adjustment and setup. It has been sitting at my tech's shop for many months now...

I'm stoked!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here is the pickguard custom made by a forum member:

Here are some updated pics of my '78 Frankenstein neck...I just finished it with Tung Oil and applied the early, 1 5/8" size gold Charvel logo that I decided to use (well I had my painter/finish person do the Tung oil and decal for me for $40).

I took some pics of the headstock so you can see the positioning of the logo and how the gold logo shines in the light. Since this "Charvel" logo deal is my own preference to using the "Gibson" logo as Ed did, I had to kind've come up with my own positioning for it...I tried to place it as close to where it was positioned on the earliest Charvels (like the Bee, which was the earliest) and I think I have it in a spot that satisfies me. What do you guys think?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here are some progress pics from the forum member that did the paint work (and pickguard) for me.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here are updated pics of my body and pickguard with a temporary maple neck and pickup in place. Looks amazing to me. He will put the shielding foil underneath the pickguard, so that is probably the only detail missing from these pics...well that and the output jack and the tremolo

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

The guitar is stuck at this point. I have it waiting in line with 3 other jobs that my tech is working on in Lake Charles. Hopefully I'll have it within the next month! I'll be sure to post updates and clips of the sound, but it should come out sounding more or less like this old clip of my old guitar (an alder Fender Eric Clapton model) that had a Super Distortion in it going through my Rockstah Mod 5 Marshall:

Last edited by garbeaj; 05.29.14 at 11:20 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:15 AM
    Liked 2,211 Times in 1,115 Posts

Premium Member

That looks NIIICE.

I can't wait to hear it!
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

And here is a clip of the late Mark "Rockstah" Abrahamian playing the same basic setup (Northern Ash Musikraft strat with vintage Fender tremolo loaded with a new Dimarzio Super Distortion pickup) through the same amp right after he finished modding it for me:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...&q=hi&newref=1

Hopefully my build will sound very, very similar to this.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Here is a pic of my '75-'76 Ibanez Destroyer and the guitar that used to be my main first album Frankenstein guitar on the right. This was originally a 1989 Fender Eric Clapton "Blackie" model strat and I have returned it to stock condition now that I have this all-new '78 build going.

The '75-'76 Ibanez Destroyer guitar has a very long and involved story. I have posted it's evolution in threads on other sites, but I may take some time and re-post that story here.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 05.29.14 at 11:34 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

IMMACULATE!

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post

Wow does that look good. Flawless!
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

That Destroyer looks pretty close to my Gibson: I know yours is meant to replicate Ed's from '76 - '78

"People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Here is a pic of my '75-'76 Ibanez Destroyer and the guitar that used to be my main first album Frankenstein guitar on the right. This was originally a 1989 Fender Eric Clapton "Blackie" model strat and I have returned it to stock condition now that I have this all-new '78 build going.

The '75-'76 Ibanez Destroyer guitar has a very long and involved story. I have posted it's evolution in threads on other sites, but I may take some time and re-post that story here.
    Great looking guitars , garbeaj !!!

I've always dug your in progress stories and photos for your replicas , and am sure that others will get off on the Explorer saga ... Cheers bro
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Thanks Robbie (vhMcG)! You know the story of my vintage Ibanez Destroyer is a novel in itself! I'll have to copy paste everything from CVH.com over here because I can't bear to write it all over again!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    That Destroyer looks pretty close to my Gibson: I know yours is meant to replicate Ed's from '76 - '78
    Yep, I did all the cosmetics of my Destroyer in the image of the white painted phase of Ed's Destroyer around 1976-1977 during the Club Days and the recording of the first album.

I'll post the very long story of my Destroyer later, but I will say that it is an original vintage 1975-1976 Ibanez Destroyer that started off with the stock amber colored "korina" finish just like Ed's that I bought off of eBay about 4 years ago for $750. The rest of the build is a LONG saga!

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    IMMACULATE!

KBD3
    Thanks! I'm in Austin today (Saturday) until Sunday morning for my niece's dance recital. We'll be coming back for a UT game sometime this year and we'll have to get together for a Shiner or two at the Alumni center