Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

10.24.16 @ 06:58 AM
    Liked 1,559 Times in 892 Posts

Premium Member

Default Kickstarter trend and the reboot of Reading Rainbow

This kick starter thing is intriguing. Despite the funding for smaller theatrical movies drying up, Veronica Mars became a movie due to fan support. Now Levar Burton has managed to raise the funding he wanted to reboot Reading Rainbow ( yay) as an online subscription service to a wider audience than the current tablet based version. He reached his goal of 1 million dollars within hours of launching his kickstarter campaign

gotta say, I love the concept of reading rainbow and anything that encourages kids to read, and I wish them well.
    just goes to show that sometimes just because something has a smaller audience, doesn't mean that there is no value in the program.... there are people who are willing to pay for the programming they want.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — LeVar Burton's fundraising effort to bring "Reading Rainbow" to the online masses is a by-the-book success.

The goal of raising $1 million by July 2 was reached within hours of the campaign's launch Wednesday on Kickstarter, according to the website. More than 23,000 donors had pledged $1.1 million and counting.

Burton was the host of "Reading Rainbow," the children's literacy program that aired on public TV through 2009.

"It was my mother who taught me that, by picking up a book, I could 'go anywhere' and 'be anything,' " Burton said in a posting on Kickstarter.

Contributors can claim rewards ranging from autographed memorabilia to a private dinner with Burton to a chance to put on the visor that the actor wore on "Star Trek: The Next Generation."

"We're not just getting pledges, but so much email love that our server froze," said Mark Wolfe, Burton's business partner. "I'm so happy to help. LeVar taught me to read," is among the typical messages, he said.

A tablet version of "Reading Rainbow" was released in 2012 and became a top-selling education app. It provides access to hundreds of books and Burton's videotaped "field trips" to historic and other places, said Wolfe, who co-founded the for-profit RRKidz company with Burton.

The Kickstarter campaign is intended to help bring an online version to more children for a $5 monthly subscription fee, Wolfe said. Many more families have access to computers than tablets, he said.

An educator-specific format will be created for schools and made available free to at least 1,500 of the neediest classrooms, RRKidz said.

Burton and Wolfe hold the global rights to "Reading Rainbow" in partnership with the show's creator, public TV station WNED in Buffalo, New York, according to a release.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

10.24.16 @ 09:17 AM
    Liked 2,116 Times in 1,256 Posts

Premium Member

Also, Adam Carolla raised $1.4 million recently for his new movie, Road Hard, and he's raised $400,000 of a requested $1.5 million to fund his legal defense in the podcasting patent lawsuit. is what he used.

The downside to this is a situation like with Oculus. They crowdsourced a virtual reality headset, getting $2.4 million from 9,500 users.

Facebook then bought Oculus for $2 billion and the users got angry that they funded the thing, but have no legal recourse to get part of the purchase price (though the regulations may change).