Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.20.16 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Default Is Ray Daniels Really To Blame For VH Debacle...?

After reading this article it just strikes me odd how this is the same manager that was "supposedly" the reason for the demise of Van Halen between 1995 - 2000. Mind you, this is the same manager that has also been able to put Rush back on the map and are bigger now than ever.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    OLE Announces Worldwide Music Publishing Deal For RUSH Catalog

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ole...47Bw4MedOCh.99

ole has purchased Core Music, the 40-year home of RUSH's music publishing, and will manage the music publishing affairs of the band for the foreseeable future.

Says ole chairman and CEO Robert Ott: "ole is very honored to have been chosen by RUSH to manage their incredible living legacy and to be a partner in their ongoing creative journey in music publishing. ole looks forward to working hard to ensure that RUSH's music continues to find new and wider audiences."

Geddy Lee, singer/bassist of RUSH, said: "We are pleased with the news of Core Music's deal with ole and happy that our publishing will be handled by a Canadian company with worldwide expertise."

"With the changing times in the music business, the responsibilities of a publisher have become much more complex. This deal will allow me to devote my time and energy to managing the live touring and recording aspects of RUSH's ongoing career," said Ray Danniels, president of SRO/Anthem and RUSH's longtime and only manager.

As part of the ole-Core deal, Pegi Cecconi, who has overseen the administration of Core Music since inception, will continue to work full-time at the management and label home of RUSH, SRO/Anthem, but will also take on a consulting role with ole in regards to the vast RUSH catalogue.

The terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ole...47Bw4MedOCh.99

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

He ruined them with the following accomplices: Eddie and alcohol.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I believe Ray smelled money and got on the trail of that scent...perhaps he got a little greedy, and maybe even a little out of control in comparison with his dealings with Rush. However, I don't think that the VH debacle you refer to is his fault solely. I think Eddie and booze are to blame a whole heck of a lot more than Ray D.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 AM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 899 Posts

I do not think RD was the only one at fault but IMO he was the MAIN person who steered that ship into the iceberg.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Damn right !! The buck stops with Eddie.

No way this manager could possibly of intended to be devious enough to concoct such a twisted state of affairs in order to make a few quick bucks. As though he is some sort of diabolical genius mastermind. Get fucking real.

If he was out for big money, he would of made DAMN sure there was a reunion tour with ROTH in 1996. I can't imagine anyone wouldn't of wanted a piece of that pie.

Like Dave said back then; " It was all Eddie "
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

He was the one who made Eddie into the control freak he became. I believe Sammy when he says that Ray was the one saying that it was Eddies band and that he should take a lot more control.

Hell, don't you find a bit weird that before 1994 when Leffler was managing the band Eddie would hardly say anything in interviews or at least just as much as everybody else and then after Sam was out of the band he's claiming that Sam and Roth have LSD and that the planets revolve around them all the while Ed is the only one doing all the talking?

Ray is responsible for that, I do believe.
    Last edited by MF5150; 05.28.14 at 06:43 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:52 AM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

the people responsible for the breakup of VH with Sammy are Ed and Sammy. Managers can be fired. End of the day it's all about those two.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

"Came an evil man, money on his mind. He don't want chump change, he want the big kind."

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/ray-...ew-t27922.html

Read this from a few years ago with Ray. His side of the story.

I've always said though that Ed Leffler was VH's safety net. he kept them together and kept the chemistry flowing.
    After he died, the wheels fell off and Sammy went off doing his own thing with "Unboxed" (claming to pay off his divorce to Betsy).
    Ray was also Alex's brother in law at that point too...
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

First of all, you have to ask: How did Ray Danniels become a rock manager?

The answer is because he was high school friends with Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson. They liked him probably because he worshipped them. They were the coolest dudes around and Ray was just a nerdy dude that couldn't play an instrument but wanted to be around Alex and Geddy constantly. You can imagine that pretty soon, he was helping them carry their amps and just started dealing with the people at the clubs. Eventually, Geddy and Alex just said hell, let Ray deal with all of that bullshit and we'll just do the music.

So, Ray Danniels was willing to drop out of high school along with Geddy and Alex during their senior year to pursue music full time. Ray dedicated his life to helping Geddy and Alex make it. He put aside a lot of money for them to record their debut and was smart enough to only use excellent recording studios. The sonic quality of Rush's debut is outstanding for a 100% self-produced record. Then "Working Man" hit, Rush took off, and Ray has forever been their man, and Geddy, Alex, and Neil would never trust anyone else ever to manage them and he is the one and only manager they've ever had.

Flash forward to 1996. Neil's wife and daughter die and Rush goes on hiatus. Somewhere in the middle of all of this INSANITY -- Alex Van Halen marries Ray Danniels sister. You've just got to stop and say it to yourself, "Are you telling me that Alex Van Halen, the drummer for Van Halen, married the sister of Ray Danniels -- the manager for Rush?" How bizarre is that? And there was known acrimony between the two bands before on two well documented occasions one year apart in 1980 and 1981.

So that's how Ray gets roped into managing Van Halen. They figure -- good lord, he's managed Rush for 20 years, and he's Alex's brother-in-law. That's how he got the job with Van Halen. So there's that.

Then what he did when he got in was pretty crappy. I mean instead of the approach he had always taken with Rush -- which was very cool, laid back, supportive -- he seemed to manage VH like a shark that smelled blood in the water. It's so crazy to me to imagine that scene on the way back from the 1996 MTV awards -- in that limo: Dave, Ed, Al, Mike, Ray, and a bodyguard.

So, he did such a bad job with VH because I honestly think he doesn't know how to manage rock bands. All Ray Danniels knows how to do is manage Rush, period. And he does and has done a fucking unbelievable job at that for OVER 40 YEARS. Being one successful band's manager for four decades puts him in a category of his own. But it's unique because he grew up with the band members, so it's almost like it doesn't count!

In the end, he went back to Rush and they continue to kick all kinds of ass.

Wrong guy, wrong job, wrong band, wrong time. Nevertheless, I still think a lot of the stuff he did was pretty shitty.

KBD3

EDIT: DEFINITELY READ THE VHND INTERVIEW!
    Last edited by Kevin Dodds; 05.28.14 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Read his VHND interview

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Rush wasn't the only band he managed. He managed Extreme at the time and they weren't exactly a bar band.

Also your description of Geddy and Alex being "the cool kids" in high school kind of runs counter, to you, reality.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Rush wasn't the only band he managed. He managed Extreme at the time and they weren't exactly a bar band.

Also your description of Geddy and Alex being "the cool kids" in high school kind of runs counter, to you, reality.
    True, he did manage Extreme but only during the Rush hiatus. He never managed another band simultaneous with Rush.

And, okay, maybe Alex and Geddy weren't the "cool kids" but they sure as hell were a lot cooler than Ray! They had long ass hair and played guitar and bass like they were fucking Zeppelin. That makes them cool kids in my book -- IMHO.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Off Topic, but speaking of RUSH, they have a documentary dvd that contains footage of guitarist Alex Lifeson at the kitchen table with his parents discussing his future before RUSH even had any carreer. How the fuck does that happen. They had home movies before the band took off, and documented some of the behind the scenes moments.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Ray Daniels is a lying sack of shit.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    True, he did manage Extreme but only during the Rush hiatus. He never managed another band simultaneous with Rush.

And, okay, maybe Alex and Geddy weren't the "cool kids" but they sure as hell were a lot cooler than Ray! They had long ass hair and played guitar and bass like they were fucking Zeppelin. That makes them cool kids in my book -- IMHO.

KBD3
    your description of Rush's early years is about as wrong as it could be. Ray wasn't the nerdy kid who linked on to Geddy and Alex (Alex and Geddy were the nerdy kids). Ray was very instrumental in the band becoming big. He was the smooth talking kid who was already running shows when he was 16.

And he did manage other bands simultaneous with Rush, in fact he ran a whole record label (Anthem Records) and management company (SRO Management) that still exists and is the home of many other bands.