Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

10.21.16 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 3,446 Times in 1,778 Posts

Premium Member

Homeless High School Student Will Graduate Valedictorian

Homeless high school student Griffin Furlong to graduate valedictorian

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. Griffin Furlong overcame a lot of obstacles to become the valedictorian at a Jacksonville, Florida, high school. As he studied for finals and AP tests, he found himself homeless - again.

"At some point I wanted to quit. It was horrible. A kid should not have to go through that," Furlong said. He spent two years in a homeless shelter in Louisville, Kentucky, before his family moved to Jacksonville. Furlong said his father and brother often had to rely on family for help. His mother died of leukemia when he was just 6 years old.

While studying for high school finals and AP tests, he was once again without a home. Furlong, 18, stayed with his aunt and uncle and his girlfriend's family. Despite all this, he will graduate with a 4.65 GPA on June 4 as valedictorian of his class.

"Positive mindset. I try to accomplish everything I need to do. I know that I have everything to lose. So I just push myself. School is all I have, family is all I have. I am doing it all for me and what I have been through. I am doing it for my mom," Furlong said.

Furlong plans to study civil engineering at Florida State, the same school from which his brother will graduate.

"I wrote him a letter of recommendation, and I said he was the hardest working, most-motivated student I have ever had," Jennifer Stover, teacher, said. "He never missed a day of school, was always at baseball practice and managed to get his homework done every night and always do well."

Furlong has received some money to help with expenses at Florida State and a housing discount. He's also hoping for scholarships.

"It is pretty frustrating. I thought being valedictorian, you should deserve a full scholarship, a full tuition. All I have been able to land were grants. That is need based, so it's pretty tough," he said.
    Last edited by Number 47; 05.28.14 at 09:56 AM.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

10.21.16 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 3,879 Times in 2,283 Posts

great story.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

10.21.16 @ 07:39 PM
    Liked 872 Times in 510 Posts

Great story, finally! No one shot, no politics, no legal mumbo jumbo. Way to go kid, go out there and show some of your classmates what the definition of gumption is.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

10.18.16 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 469 Times in 272 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Punch View Post
    Great story, finally! No one shot, no politics, no legal mumbo jumbo. Way to go kid, go out there and show some of your classmates what the definition of gumption is.
    Oh really???? All I see is some liberal soon to be Democrat voting douchebag that uses the free government services to better himself.

Seriously though - good for the kid. These are the type of people that I hope to see in politics in the future. Someone that appreciates everything he's got because of how he got there.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Sensible Shoes
    Last Online

10.21.16 @ 01:05 PM
    Liked 651 Times in 457 Posts

Premium Member

Well at least the guys not living in the streets. But with a 4.65, I'd think you'd get a few scholarship offers. Props to the dude!
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"