Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Default Loop return on 6505

Im not real sure how the return works on a 6505.
    Im running a digitech 2120 into the return of the 6505 at the moment but cant control the volume with the amp- the 2120 does it. Does this mean the power section of the 6505 is running flat out? Will it burn the tubes out quicker?
    I asked this in another thread but no replies yet so thought I should put it up seperate.
    Any advise will be appreciated-
    Sean
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:08 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

To make sure I have this right - The Digitech unit is creating the basis for your tone and you're using the 6505 as a power amp only , correct ? The post volume knob on the amp isn't controlling the overall loudness ? If it was running full blast you'd be expecting a visit from the cops for noise complaints ... LOL .

That's weird . And yes - I think it would certainly have an impact on the life of the tubes .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhMcG View Post
    To make sure I have this right - The Digitech unit is creating the basis for your tone and you're using the 6505 as a power amp only , correct ? The post volume knob on the amp isn't controlling the overall loudness ? If it was running full blast you'd be expecting a visit from the cops for noise complaints ... LOL .

That's weird . And yes - I think it would certainly have an impact on the life of the tubes .
    Yep- 2120 is the preamp and the 6505 is the poweramp- the post controls have no effect but the vol control on the 2120 is the master.
    Im not sure if that means the 6505 is running flat chat or not. Doesn't seem too healthy if it is?

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:08 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

I just went back and read your posts in the other thread about your amp . Great advice was given by a few other members . Right on !

As per this issue ? I'm a bit at a loss , because I'm not familiar with your particular Digitech unit . Like I said though - if your 6505 was running at 'full tilt' with the master volume wide open ... you'd certainly know it . The neighbors three blocks away would too . You didn't mention anything about using an attenuator/hot plate/power brake etc .

Check the manual for the Digitech unit . Many f/x boxes have complex settings for pre and post volume levels and signal routing . I've used Digitech , Marshall , and Rocktron preamps in the loop of a 5150 (same amp) and never had the problem you seem to be describing . Perhaps try another unit/piece of gear in the same fashion to help narrow down the problem . Good Luck !
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WDFA5150 View Post
    Im not real sure how the return works on a 6505.
    Im running a digitech 2120 into the return of the 6505 at the moment but cant control the volume with the amp- the 2120 does it. Does this mean the power section of the 6505 is running flat out? Will it burn the tubes out quicker?
    I asked this in another thread but no replies yet so thought I should put it up seperate.
    Any advise will be appreciated-
    Sean
    The FX Loop return is located after the master volume on the 5150/6505 amps. You can think of it this way -- the power amp is running "full up" at all times... you don't actually control the power amp section of an amp like this (or most power amps). You merely are controlling the level of what is running into the power amp. So whether it is you controlling the preamp circuit via the master volume on the amp, or controlling the overall output on the 2120 with the front knob, you are doing the same thing.

As long as you aren't running the 2120 into the 5150 FX return at insane volume levels, it shouldn't put any more wear on the power section as the 5150's own preamp would at any given volume level.

One thing I will say... when using external gear, especially digital units, BE CAREFUL GOING INTO POWER AMPS. I have a 2120 also, and I believe the output knob on the front is an ANALOG volume control for the ouput of the unit... meaning even if the digital circuit freaks out and output maximum noise in a glitch, that analog volume will keep it tamed. (I just glanced over the 2120 schematic again, and the front output volume knob DOES appear to be an analog control, not digital.) It's not nearly as likely for a pot to fail and short full open as it is for a digital audio unit to flip out and output a super loud square wave to your other gear

So I would encourage you to set up all of your 2120 patches to approximately the same volume, and simply control the overall level with the 2120's output knob just to be safe and avoid loud surprises, and everything should be just fine.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 05.25.14 at 02:13 PM.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    The FX Loop return is located after the master volume on the 5150/6505 amps. You can think of it this way -- the power amp is running "full up" at all times... you don't actually control the power amp section of an amp like this (or most power amps). You merely are controlling the level of what is running into the power amp. So whether it is you controlling the preamp circuit via the master volume on the amp, or controlling the overall output on the 2120 with the front knob, you are doing the same thing.

As long as you aren't running the 2120 into the 5150 FX return at insane volume levels, it shouldn't put any more wear on the power section as the 5150's own preamp would at any given volume level.

One thing I will say... when using external gear, especially digital units, BE CAREFUL GOING INTO POWER AMPS. I have a 2120 also, and I believe the output knob on the front is an ANALOG volume control for the ouput of the unit... meaning even if the digital circuit freaks out and output maximum noise in a glitch, that analog volume will keep it tamed. (I just glanced over the 2120 schematic again, and the front output volume knob DOES appear to be an analog control, not digital.) It's not nearly as likely for a pot to fail and short full open as it is for a digital audio unit to flip out and output a super loud square wave to your other gear

So I would encourage you to set up all of your 2120 patches to approximately the same volume, and simply control the overall level with the 2120's output knob just to be safe and avoid loud surprises, and everything should be just fine.
    Thanks mrjstudios- thats what I was trying to get- much appreciated. I keep all the presets at a suitable level so should be good.
    It will only last until the novelty of the 2120 wears off anyway then I'll switch back to the 6505-

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WDFA5150 View Post
    Thanks mrjstudios- thats what I was trying to get- much appreciated. I keep all the presets at a suitable level so should be good.
    It will only last until the novelty of the 2120 wears off anyway then I'll switch back to the 6505-
    The 2120 is actually a REALLY cool and unique unit. Poor man's Eventide in a lot of ways.

Also keep in mind, the 2120 has a good deal of ANALOG distortion/overdrive built into it -- it's not all modeled and stuff like the rest of the delay, detune, reverbs, etc are in the unit. It's a hybrid unit, and the digital end of it allows you to control everything, including the analog front end, which is really cool.

I just pulled the 2120 out of my guitar rig (no way I'm lugging a W/D/W rig anywhere to play live, who am I kidding), and I stuck it in my main recording rack. I REALLY like the 2120's detunes, delays, and reverbs. It's a surprisingly cool sounding unit and I prefer it to plugins in many situations.

Last Online

Yeah- it's definately a hidden gem! I get the impression that it might have been the inspiration for the axe fx stuff but using 12ax7s as well as digital for modelling.
    I've just ordered the upgrade chip 2.30 (mine is 2.02 at the moment) and looking forward to what it can do.
    I only picked it up for the detune but started goofing around with it and ended up quite suprised! It's a bit like Guitar Rig 5 in a box which is good. At one point I had a comptuer for a rig but it just seemed like it was too prone to glitches so this is working out well.