Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

11.15.17 @ 05:12 AM
    Liked 66 Times in 35 Posts

Default Thinking about a Les Paul

So I am thinking about getting a Les Paul. I know there are a number of different models but I don't know much about the difference between them. This is intentionally a pretty wide open question, but who wants to offer their opinion as to which model is best and why? I am looking for a classic L.P. warm tone the the ability to "rock out" when I want to. Other guitars I have include Peavey Wolfgangs and MIM and USA Strats and my musical interest is generally classic rock.
    Aint life grand!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Default Thinking about a Les Paul

I had a custom for years
    Only complaint was it was way to heavy for me to play on stage all night
    Loved the fret board sound was ok. I don't think they are close to worth the price
    But some are so beautiful if money wasn't an issue I would still consider them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

You can play any style of music with a nice Les Paul. They are heavy as hell, so try and buy a chambered/weight relieved model. A good one will run you about $3,000. The cheap ones are not as nice. My advice is to save up about $3,000 and buy a real Les Paul that you can keep forever.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Without going into the big money custom shop reissues, the closest to a classic LP in the range is, I think, the Les Paul Traditional. I have a 2010 model which is my main guitar, and I absolutely love it. I believe the newer Traditionals have moved even closer to vintage spec. It's a matter of opinion, of course, but I think the current LP Standard is quite far removed from what most would consider a classic LP spec. That's not necessarily a bad thing, though, depending on what you want from the guitar.

Also, the pickup is another thing to consider - the Traditional has '57 Classics, which are a smoother rounded PAF style pickup, which I really like. The models with Burstbuckers will have a more raucous tone. Again, a matter of taste.

Another big consideration is the neck shape: the Traditional has the '50s profile, which is deeper with a heavier shoulder, as opposed to the Standard's '60s profile, which is less meaty in the hand.

Above all else: try as many as you can. It took me about eighteen months to find the guitar I wanted. They are incredibly inconsistent, no two are alike, in sound, feel and overall quality of construction. This is one guitar I would NOT buy online. You need to have one in your hands to see if it's right for you. I played a few that felt terrible, most were just okay, but only a small number were really good.

As for alternatives, if you're on a tighter budget, I'd give the PRS SE Bernie Marsden model a serious look. It's going after a 59 Burst feel and tone and does it very well for the money. I haven't tried the PRS S2 Singlecut, but again, they look like good value. Also, the higher end Tokai Love Rock models are well worth a look. I have Tokai USG75, their Japanese-made SG clone, and it's a fantastic guitar.

Hope that helps.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

09.22.15 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I agree, Les Paul Traditional. Starting in 2013, they stopped weight relieving them, which I was very happy with. The 2014's changed the pickups from the Classic 57's to the 59 Tributes and so far, the few reviews I've seen have been positive. Thicker neck, but not too thick. Plays incredibly well, sustains forever, sounds amazing and is no frills, like the more expense Les Paul Standard. The Traditional is also traditionally wired, without the PCB board that most other Gibsons use these days. No push/pull coil tapping.
    It's my favorite Les Paul that I've played, hands down.
    2013 EVH Black n White Striped Series Guitar
    2013 EVH 5150iii Black 50 Watt Amp
    2012 Ace Frehley Epiphone Budokan
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 Cab

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

I click on every LP ad on The Gear Page. I love looking at them, but never played mine when I had one. They are so gorgeous and play so well, but I can't see myself spending the money for the one I'd want and then rarely playing it.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

01.07.16 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 66 Times in 29 Posts

get a PRS, more consistent build quality and gc is blowing out all their old stock. I just bought a brand new custom 24 today with absolutely no store wear for $1420(albeit it was a glitch in their price system which they honored) They have a big clearance list on their website. I also played a sc58 today which is the equivalent to a 58 reissue and smoked the gibson in every which way possible. For me the custom 24 was the guitar though.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

12.06.15 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Look into the Les Paul Classic Custom, my friend got one and it is really nice, very similar to a Custom but with a baked maple fingerboard and 57 classic + pickups (which really can scream from what Ive played on them) It has a Les Paul fullness, but has some bite to it from the Maple as well. I'd say I liked it more than most Custom Shops Ive played, and theyre under 2 Grand.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:07 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

I've got a '97 Standard and its a great guitar. I dont play it as much as I should, but it plays and sounds fantastic.

I think every guitar player should own a Les Paul at some stage in their lives...
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Last Online

11.15.17 @ 05:12 AM
    Liked 66 Times in 35 Posts

Thanks for all the info! I am going to go do some shopping this weekend and play as many as I can find. Absolutely would not consider buying online.
    Aint life grand!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    Above all else: try as many as you can. It took me about eighteen months to find the guitar I wanted. They are incredibly inconsistent, no two are alike, in sound, feel and overall quality of construction. This is one guitar I would NOT buy online. You need to have one in your hands to see if it's right for you. I played a few that felt terrible, most were just okay, but only a small number were really good.
    They are very inconsistent. It's ridiculous. I think part of it is they still cut the necks by hand. That's what I've been told anyway. So the only way to be sure it's a good one is definitely to play them. I'd be extra wary of used ones. People never give up a good Les Paul. Well, rarely anyway. I know I wouldn't.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 2,273 Times in 1,166 Posts

I prefer the Juniors much better

Reasons:

CHEAPER!
    MUCH LIGHTER...4 compared to 7.5 lbs
    P-90's sound great
    Looks edgy and cool on stage...especially if you relic them

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

I have 3 Les Pauls: a Custom, a 1960 Custom Shop Reissue & a Traditional. I agree with the posters above that the Trad is the best bang for the buck. Mine is a phenomenal player, and the '57 Classic pickups (standard until 2013) are fantastic. That said, try a few out before you buy, as they have a chunky neck that takes a bit of getting used to....they also can vary in weight a lot, from 8 - 11 lbs in some cases. Mine is 8.4 lbs and rings like a bell...Good luck!
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Last Online

10.29.15 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

I had one and got rid of it!
    They LOOK awesome- trouble is- that's all mine ever did.
    The higher frets were hard to get at, it weighed a ton, I was always worried the headstock would break off (it's true-they do!) and I didnt want to get it marked or dinted- it was more a piece of art than a guitar- look but dont touch!
    In it's defence it sounded good. It had a baseball bat neck though which I couldn't get used to- a thinner neck mighta changed my opinion.
    I used to be 'sean112' but lost all my details!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

The 1960 slim taper neck is much more comfortable for me than the earlier "baseball bat" profile. I had a very nice '57 reissue Gibson Les Paul Goldtop that I bought in 1987. It cost me $3,000 in 1987 money. It sounded great, but the upper register was very difficult to get to when standing. The neck joint on the Alex Lifeson models really help a lot in the upper register, but those are very expensive too.

I agree that you need to try as many as you can, but they are virtually all made with a CNC machine, so I don't understand why they are so inconsistent? I still recommend chambered models and I recommend the '57 Classics if you are going for the classic Les Paul sounds (ie. NOT what Slash or Zakk Wylde sound like)...