Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Starting tomorrow, it's no longer illegal to be illegal in Somerville, MA

Somerville to relax immigration enforcement

Starting tomorrow, it's no longer illegal to be illegal in Somerville, according to Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone, who is slated to sign an executive order Thursday barring his cops from holding undocumented aliens in jail simply for immigration violations -- an unprecedented move, even in the Bay State, though other communities may quickly follow suit.

"We need to stop villainizing these people and start solving the problem," Curtatone told the Herald yesterday. "Massachusetts holds itself out as a progressive state. We should lead the way. We hold ourselves out as a progressive community that believes in fairness and doing the right thing. This is morally the right thing to do."

Somerville -- which made national headlines in 2012 for banning the word "illegal" in reference to illegal immigrants -- would be the first community in Massachusetts to join the so-called Trust Act movement, a national push to relax immigration enforcement.

Police would only comply with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement detainers to hold illegals if they had a criminal warrant or if police had a non-immigration-related legal purpose, Curtatone plans to announce today at a press conference.

But Bristol County Sheriff Thomas M. Hodgson, who has championed Secure Communities -- the federal crackdown on illegals -- said Curtatone's new policy will drive up crime in Somerville, saying it "takes the handcuffs off the criminals and puts them on law enforcement" in a dangerous, post-Sept. 11 world.

"If I were illegal and looking for a place to go, guess where I'm going -- Somerville," Hodgson said. "Even if I commit a minor crime, they're not going to let ICE know, so it's worth it for me to steal from a store if that's what I'm inclined to do. When we start ignoring the laws of our country and putting blindfolds on law enforcement ... it creates a sanctuary area people will be drawn to."

Curtatone claims the federal Secure Communities program is a failure, saying that more than half of those deported in Massachusetts in the last two years had no convictions, so the practice is tearing families apart and discouraging illegals from cooperating with police and reporting crimes.

Patricia Montes of Centro Presente, which has been advocating for a bill that would make Somerville's new policy state law, predicted three other Bay State communities will adopt similar provisions in the next two to three months, but she wouldn't name them.

"We have a coalition," Montes said. "We're working with other cities around the state -- that's part of the strategy."

Jessica Vaughan of the Center for Immigration Studies called the Somerville policy "foolish and reckless" and predicted a new wave of horrible crimes, like the dragging-death of 23-year-old Matthew Denice, hit and killed by drunken-driving illegal immigrant Nicolas Dutan Guaman, who was convicted and sentenced to 12 to 14 years in prison this week.

"If Somerville goes through with this, it's inviting this kind of behavior and this kind of result," Vaughan said.

ICE spokesman Daniel Modricker said in a statement: "U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement will continue to work cooperatively with law-enforcement partners as the agency seeks to enforce its priorities through the identification and removal of convicted criminals and others who are public-safety threats." ___

(c)2014 the Boston Herald

Visit the Boston Herald at www.bostonherald.com
    http://legalpronews.findlaw.com/arti...907fa5edfd223d
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

wouldn't this just cause an influx of illegals into this town? Doesn't seem like good public policy to me no matter what your opinion is on the immigration issue.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

This screams: "gee, look how progressive WE are? Look at you and your pathetic notion of 'law and order.' How regressive of you."

If they want to solve the problem, start by enforcing the laws that are already on the books. Once we see how that works for everyone, then we can take a second look at it.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

There's a restaurant named Highland Kitchen in Somerville that has some excellent food. I've been there a few times after Bruins' games.

Anyway, this story is ridiculous. The mayor said "we have to stop villainizing these people and start solving the problem." But this doesn't seem to be solving any problems. And why the hell is Somerville leading the charge on this? I must be missing something. Seems odd.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,159 Times in 8,975 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Somerville to relax immigration enforcement

Curtatone claims the federal Secure Communities program is a failure, saying that more than half of those deported in Massachusetts in the last two years had no convictions, so the practice is tearing families apart and discouraging illegals from cooperating with police and reporting crimes.
    I thought being an ILLEGAL ALIEN was crime enough. Guess not.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I thought being an ILLEGAL ALIEN was crime enough. Guess not.
    If you're from america you have to obey the law (even if it means your money being taken from you at gunpoint basically) but illegals are allowed to do anything they please.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

I heard of local police who look the other way when they pull over illegals for traffic stops etc because they know it would eat up their budgets to get involved in something that they see as a Border Patrol, ICE issue.

it was strictly a budget issue

it used to happen around here, but I think that now that we have so many border patrol around here they cooperate more

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

This is so sickening. God I hate the politics of this fucking state.

For those that don't know, Somerville is basically Boston. It's literally 2 miles from the Boston Garden.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    This is so sickening. God I hate the politics of this fucking state.

For those that don't know, Somerville is basically Boston. It's literally 2 miles from the Boston Garden.
    DD,

What's the upside of publicizing such a policy? It's one thing to have a "look the other way" policy, it's quite another to announce "illegals come here - you're safe with us". Are voters very left wing in that area which makes something like this an election winner?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,159 Times in 8,975 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    DD,

What's the upside of publicizing such a policy? It's one thing to have a "look the other way" policy, it's quite another to announce "illegals come here - you're safe with us". Are voters very left wing in that area which makes something like this an election winner?
    Mike, America is STOOPID.

There's your answer.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    DD,

The upside is these far left liberal turds want to look like heroes to their far left liberal turd friends. Massachusetts sucks beyond belief when it comes to the people in charge. Hate em all.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    The upside is these far left liberal turds want to look like heroes to their far left liberal turd friends. Massachusetts sucks beyond belief when it comes to the people in charge. Hate em all.
    Massachusetts is not alone in having incompetent people in charge. CT certainly has its share! And many other states are right there with them, unfortunately.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.