Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Father arrested at meeting after complaining about book assigned by high school...

GILFORD, NH — A parent who complained last week about a book assigned to his daughter at Gilford High School was arrested and taken away in handcuffs from a school board meeting because he would not stop protesting.

William Baer, whose ninth-grade daughter last week was assigned the book "Nineteen Minutes," published in 2007 by bestselling author Jodi Picoult of Hanover, came to the meeting to protest the book’s assignment and the fact that the district forgot to send a notice home to parents about the assignment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Minutes

Baer stood and asked the Superintendent Kent Hemingway to read the notice to parents sent out Monday, which said the book "depicts high school relationships, some of which are unhealthy."

Before speaking, Baer was told he had two minutes. He went beyond that time and sat down, but then got into an argument with another parent who approved of the book at the high school.

"So what is the remedy here?" Baer asked.

The board said it would not take questions on the matter.

"Why don’t you have me arrested then?" he asked, after which an officer arrested him and took him to the police station.

Baer was charged with disorderly conduct.

Another parent, Sarah Carrigan, agreed with Baer’s statement.

"I am utterly appalled that this book was in my son’s hands," she said.

Later, School Board Chairman Sue Allen issued this statement: "The board apologizes for the discomfort of those impacted and for the failure of the School District to send home prior notice of assignment of the novel.

"The School District policies IGE, IJ, IJA, KEC (available on the school district website) refer to the procedures for the use of novels controversial material. The district will take immediate action to revise these policies to include notification that requires parents to accept controversial material rather than opt out. Furthermore, the notification will detail more specifically the controversial material. These policies will be revised prior to the 2014-15 school year."

The controversy began last week when a friend of Baer’s read the book, which Baer’s 14-year-old daughter brought home from school to read as an assignment. Baer, an attorney who said he and his wife are closely involved in their daughter’s school work, said he was appalled when he read the school-assigned book, which contains graphic sexual detail on page 313.

In an interview Friday, Picoult said the book is about a school shooting and bullying. The story begins on March 6, 2007, in the small town of Sterling, New Hampshire, and tells of the events leading up to the shooting and what followed.

It was Picoult’s first book to debut on the New York Times’ bestseller list, though it’s not the first of her books to cause controversy. Several of her books have been banned at schools because of their content, she said.

Acknowledging the controversy in Gilford, Picoult said her three children were high-schoolers when they read the book. She urged parents to "read the book with your kids, by all means use it as a springboard for discussion with your kids."

In a statement issued Friday by School Board Chair Sue Allen, Gilford High School Principal Peter Sawyer and Superintendent Kent Hemingway said they erred in not notifying parents ahead of time this year about the book assignment. They made the notifications Monday.

The school administrators said the book has been a reading selection available to Gilford High School staff since 2007. "The novel has thematic importance, it contains depictions of physical violence in public schools and an incident of sexual violence," they said.
    Last edited by voivod; 05.06.14 at 06:31 PM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

http://eagnews.org/new-hampshire-fat...grade-english/

Here’s an excerpt from the explicit passage:

“‘Relax,’ Matt murmured, and then he sank his teeth into her shoulder. He pinned her hands over her head and ground his hips against hers. She could feel his erection, hot against her stomach.

” … She couldn’t remember ever feeling so heavy, as if her heart were beating between her legs. She clawed at Matt’s back to bring him closer.

“‘Yeah,’ he groaned, and her pushed her thighs apart. And then suddenly Matt was inside her, pumping so hard that she scooted backward on the carpet, burning the backs of her legs. … (H)e clamped his hand over her mouth and drove harder and harder until Josie felt him come.

“Semen, sticky and hot, pooled on the carpet beneath her.”

http://eagnews.org/new-hampshire-fat...grade-english/
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

The guy should have used his 2 minutes to read that passage out loud. That would have probably changed a lot of parents minds. Personally I don't think it is appropriate for schools to have books like this. They sure as hell didn't when I was there.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:14 AM
    Liked 6,834 Times in 3,576 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

The whole world is about to lose it.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 18,132 Times in 8,956 Posts

And we wonder why we are falling behind the rest of the world in education. We are wasting their brain power on stupid shit like that.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:14 AM
    Liked 6,834 Times in 3,576 Posts

Premium Member

I'm a little confused why a book about a school shooting is on any kind of assignment list at all in this day and age.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

The same reason we have kids writing essays supporting the Nazi's Final Solution, or essays about how whether the Holocaust really happened?

Because as a society we as a whole have lost our way. We are adrift in a sea of stupidity.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

I'm familiar with Jodi Picoult books She writes about a lot of controversial subjects. This book is a multiple award winner and it has become very popular among high school readers as teachers have picked it up to use in their "anti bullying curriculum. It does have a very good lesson to teach and it tells it in a way that young people are really connecting with. That is just one passage in the entire book that is sexually graphic.

I can see the father's outrage, but honestly, I think his 14 year old daughter has probably read worse by now, and has probably seen worse on TV.

weird that we are a society that doesn't mind our children seeing violence but doesn't want they to even know about sex

If he is so concerned about this one passage in this one book, he should take the time to read the entire book first and judge it on its entire merits, then if he wants to object, he can do so Ironically Jodi Picoult herself would have encouraged the discussion as that is what all her books are meant to do...they are HUUUUUUUGE in the realm of book clubs.

He had his chance to make his point and at that point he should have left it go. He was asked to stop and he didn't, asked leave and he should have, if he had just left when they asked i don't think it would have come to this, but arresting him was way too much

I have seen school board meetings become out of order and even dangerous situations.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Just because you can see and hear worse on TV today doesn't mean it's okay that they will now be required to read it in school. There is a lot of fucked up shit on the internet that they can see too but that doesn't mean they should be exposed to it at school. I really don't care to read the entire book, IMO whether it's one small passage or the entire book reads that way, it shouldn't be in schools. They are only there 6 hours a day, is reading books like this really the best way to spend their time or maybe concentrate more on useful subjects.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:22 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I have no problem with the book being in the school library. I do have a problem with it being required reading. Any books that are to be assigned should be approved by all of the class parents.

A lot of people are okay with their children playing violent video games. I am not (not that that stops them). If a school assigned one of my boys to play "Call Of Duty" or anything of its ilk, I would be upset (probably nasty email upset, not arrested at a meeting upset, but still upset).

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    They are only there 6 hours a day, is reading books like this really the best way to spend their time or maybe concentrate more on useful subjects.
    Nope.

Reading about a dude jazzing on the carpet is much more important than learning how to calculate the derivative of the squaring function.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    They are only there 6 hours a day, is reading books like this really the best way to spend their time or maybe concentrate more on useful subjects.
    You don't have the proper punctuation at the end of that run-on sentence...

2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post

Neither do you. A pause at the end of a sentence is four periods...in the middle of a sentence it is three.

Just fucking with you.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy812 View Post

See that's what I'm talking about. I spent a lot of time reading penthouse forums and now I can't even use proper punctuation?"!