Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Default EVH 5150 III. Is mine broken?

I have a 5150 III 2x12 combo. Got it in Jan. Hasn't been used too much. I've noticed the cable plugged into the amp gets warm, almost hot. I've eliminated all other possibilities. It's not cables. Used three different ones. It's not pedals in front. Happens with or without them. And I've used different guitars. If you touch the input jack after unplugging it feels warm. The whole area feels warm. But the cable plug/tip is the warmest. Is this normal for the 5150 III? I know there's a lot of tubes crammed in there. Want to get to the bottom of this before my warranty runs out. Thanks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Is you amp up against a wall? Does it have room to breathe?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Those amps will get warm. My original 5150 used to get damned hot.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    Is you amp up against a wall? Does it have room to breathe?
    Nope. Not against a wall. Probably about two feet from the wall. I tried my old PV 5150. Cable stayed cool. Head does get hot though. Reminds me of when I used a 4x12 with the PV 5150 head. Back said 16 ohm. After playing the speaker cable going into the cab was pretty hot. If memory serves the cab was rated at lower wattage. Like it had 20 watt speakers or something. Only times I've ever seen a cable I've used get hot. This combo all the time and that one time I used a strange cab.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Just looking at some photos that might help explain this.
    It's not uncommon for it to get warm, especially in a combo. I was just looking at pics of the tube/transformer placement in relation to the input, and I think you are ok. I believe the warmth is most likely transferring from the power tubes which are mounted on the same side as the jack on the combo. On the Peavey 5150's, the tubes are in the more standard central location on the heads, and on the combo's, offset, but not as far right (if you're looking at the back) as the EVH, so the jack/plug will be cooler. Keeping in mind that tubes have heating elements, that heat will definately transfer into the chassis, and also, as heat rises, will radiate through the chassis being of an undermount design in the combo.
    Just my two cents. If there is a transformer ahead of those tubes as well (tough to see in photos, but maybe someone else can chime in), then there's even more of a heat source.
    Some tubes run hotter than others too. Though your amp was biased at the factory, after a reasonable amount of use, that bias can change slightly, and the tubes get a little hotter with the "push/pull" of their circuit. The Peavey's also ran a little cooler by their design.
    If you still feel uneasy, smell anything burning, and others say their jacks are cool compared to yours, then by all means, you should get it checked for a short, or failing component. It's an electrical device after all, but if it seems like what I'm describing, then good luck man.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Just looking at some photos that might help explain this.
    It's not uncommon for it to get warm, especially in a combo. I was just looking at pics of the tube/transformer placement in relation to the input, and I think you are ok. I believe the warmth is most likely transferring from the power tubes which are mounted on the same side as the jack on the combo. On the Peavey 5150's, the tubes are in the more standard central location on the heads, and on the combo's, offset, but not as far right (if you're looking at the back) as the EVH, so the jack/plug will be cooler. Keeping in mind that tubes have heating elements, that heat will definately transfer into the chassis, and also, as heat rises, will radiate through the chassis being of an undermount design in the combo.
    Just my two cents. If there is a transformer ahead of those tubes as well (tough to see in photos, but maybe someone else can chime in), then there's even more of a heat source.
    Some tubes run hotter than others too. Though your amp was biased at the factory, after a reasonable amount of use, that bias can change slightly, and the tubes get a little hotter with the "push/pull" of their circuit. The Peavey's also ran a little cooler by their design.
    If you still feel uneasy, smell anything burning, and others say their jacks are cool compared to yours, then by all means, you should get it checked for a short, or failing component. It's an electrical device after all, but if it seems like what I'm describing, then good luck man.
    I feel a little better now. I was hoping to hear things inside the combo are crammed in there and that's probably the cause. I've had several 2-3 hours of straight playing. No burning smell or any other issues. Just a warm guitar cable. Thanks!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    I feel a little better now. I was hoping to hear things inside the combo are crammed in there and that's probably the cause. I've had several 2-3 hours of straight playing. No burning smell or any other issues. Just a warm guitar cable. Thanks!
    No problem man. Just to mention, that if you are feeling significant heat up the cable, say more than 3 or 4 inches from the jack, then I would most certainly get it checked out. If it's just the plug for the most part, (you mentioned the tip in particular) through the threaded jacket, then you should be absolutely fine. I'd just feel the underside of the chassis around the back of the amp near the power tubes after it's been on for the normal period in which you noticed the warmth, and then compare it to the cable plug. If the plug/tip feels about the same temp. or cooler than the area adjacent to the tubes, then you know it's just heat that the chassis has absorbed, and is transferring to your jack. Power tubes get very hot, so consider that they are on for a substantial time period, that heat is gonna go somewhere. Even my 50 watt Vox combo which is a modeler, the plug can feel a bit warm when I unplug it, because the heat rises, and all the controls and jack are top mounted Like an AC-30, and that's just from the processor, and the output transformer. (It does have a single 12ax7, but that's a starved plate circuit that barely generates much heat at all) Like an AC-30.
    Last edited by we die young; 05.07.14 at 11:01 AM.