Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default He was such a nice boy...except that little armed robbery thing...

Family of Dead Armed Robber Speaks Out Against CCP Holder Who Shot Him & Calls For Stricter Gun Laws

The family of an armed robber is speaking out after surveillance video was released of their family member committing an armed robbery.

On the video Dante Williams is clearly seen entering a South Carolina Waffle House, pointing a gun at employees and customers and attempting to rob the restaurant.

Justin Harrison was eating at the bar. Harrison, a concealed carry permit holder, was armed. He waited for an opportunity, shot Williams, and attempted to detain the second suspect.

The family of Williams says that Harrison didn’t need to shoot and shouldn’t have felt threatened. They want to change South Carolina’s carry permit laws to require more training in order to get a permit. Many gun rights activists consider time consuming and costly training requirements to be a burden on their Second Amendment rights.

---------------------

SPARTANBURG, SC (FOX Carolina) -
    Nineteen-year-old Dante Williams' family said there is no doubt he entered the Waffle House in Chesnee back in January of 2012 intent on robbing it, but they say he didn't have to die.

FOX Carolina obtained surveillance video from inside the Waffle House that investigators said shows Williams and his accomplice Jawan Craig come into the restaurant. Deputies said Williams is the one seen pointing a gun and demanding money.

Sitting at the bar area of the restaurant was Justin Harrison, a concealed weapon permit holder, who was armed the night of the robbery.

"They're yelling 'everybody get down, get down' and I'm not getting on the floor. I am not going to be a victim," Harrison said.

Harrison said while the men terrorized other customers and staff he was deciding when to act.

"This was the only time," Harrison said. "If I am going to fight it was that one time. He was approaching me and I saw that as him engaging me."

The video shows Williams, gun by his side, walk back toward Harrison, who stands up and fires several shots killing Williams almost instantly.

The video then shows Harrison trying to hold Craig at gunpoint. But Craig tries grabbing Harrison's gun and after a struggle Craig escapes.

Deputies later caught up with Craig, and he has since been convicted in the robbery. Thanks in part to the surveillance video.

David Blanton, a former Spartanburg county deputy, was Harrison's CWP instructor and after reviewing the video he says Harrison followed his training and was justified in firing.

"Not only was he defending his own life, which the law says he can do, but there were other people in the restaurant," Blanton said.

According to Blanton, getting a CWP involves filling out an application, followed by an eight-hour course taught by a qualified instructor, a written exam, and finally a live-fire qualification.

Tamika McSwain is Williams' cousin and said more training is needed before someone is given a CWP. McSwain said the video contradicts statements made by Harrison about what happened the night of the robbery, and said if Harrison had been bettered trained he may not have fired the fatal shots.

"I understand he felt threatened by the situation," McSwain said. "But he said the gun was pointed at him so he fired. In fact he (Williams) was walking out."

McSwain admits that Williams made a terrible decision the night he died.

"It still puzzles us as to why he would do something so crazy," said McSwain.

Williams actions were out of character for the Dorman High School senior who his family said had never been in trouble before.

"He was always sharp, always goofy, loved to dance, he was a respectable boy," McSwain said.

McSwain said her family was disappointed that Harrison wasn't charged in the shooting and says her family is still considering pursuing other legal action against him.

Both the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office and Seventh Circuit Solicitor's office cleared Harrison in the shooting.

But McSwain said her cousin's death shows that more training is need for CWP holders. Harrison meanwhile said the video shows he did what he had to.

"They got the gun, he (Williams) picked it up. He could have said no," Harrison said. "He hung out with the wrong crowd."

A judge sentenced Craig to 30 years in prison for his part in the robbery.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

The article fails to mention if Dante or Jawan had a legal gun, permit or any weapons training.

What a shame, they were 2 good boys.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:50 PM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

The cries of the family will fall on deaf ears and rightly so IMO. From what I've read about other states, sc's CWP process is actually pretty strict and as I understand, that's why we don't have reciprocity with some other states who are more lenient with CWP requirements.

I know the instructor in my CWP class took extra time both in the class and on range to make sure everyone there was comfortable handling their weapon.

I don't know how it would work but I personally don't believe there should be any permit required to carry. On the other hand, how d you keep everybody legal?

Sent via carrier pigeon
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Stricter gun laws? This is one of the rare times that it worked out perfect. Harrison was a concealed carry permit holder. End of story. What argument does the criminal's family have?

What additional training did he need? Bad guys down, innocent people safe. Unless this article is inaccurate, I don't see any problems here.

These criminals took a chance on robbing this place, they were wrong.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    I don't know how it would work but I personally don't believe there should be any permit required to carry. On the other hand, how d you keep everybody legal?

Sent via carrier pigeon
    I agree, if you can legally purchase/own a handgun, you should be able to conceal it and carry it on your person without any specialized permit.

I'm not sure how common it is among other states to have handgun purchase permits, as we do in North Carolina, but I think it would be a good idea to have a safety training requirement in place before the permit holder purchases/takes ownership of their weapon, and not just if and when they decide to get a CC permit later on.

I'm an NRA member, and I'm sure they would disagree, but so be it.