Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Default Sebastian Bach on Van Halen, Bootlegs and Critical Fans

May 1, 2014

In case anybody missed this.

http://www.vhnd.com/2014/05/01/sebas...critical-fans/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

I saw that on the VHND yesterday . Bach is obviously a huge VH fan . It was a fun read . He hails from a town called Peterborough , which is about 40 minutes away from me .

I've seen the original Skid Row 3 times - twice in an arena and once in a club in Toronto called RPM .
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away
    Last Online

12.06.15 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I love Skid Row, and although Seb usually doesnt say much of value, I agree with what he says on this. People dont get into concerts that Ive been to cause theyre watching through their phone while recording it, it sucks to see

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

Eh, I don't agree with him. If he actually came at this from the perspective of "I don't see eyeballs in the audience anymore--I see camera lenses," then I could understand a lament about the 'old days.'

But he's coming at this from the perspective of "You mean I actually have to perform well because more than just the 8,000 drunk people here might see it...?" Look, each band has their own 'thing,' and Roth being Roth and forgetting the words is part of his 'thing.' For Dave, the show is of higher importance than him singing as well as he does on the albums.

And to be honest, if you mess something up on accident and make a joke out of it, that makes a better story for the people in the audience than "the song sounded great; it was perfect!"

The fact that a video of you taking the night off might make it to YouTube should serve as a motivator for musicians to bring it every night.

Bands could probably solve the cell phone thing for the most part. Some bands like Counting Crows, Black Crowes, and Pearl Jam, record the audio of every show and sell them online. I saw Pearl Jam at The Forum in Inglewood, CA, in July of 1998. If a professional recording of the show was available, I'd buy it. Instead, I have a pretty good quality bootleg someone recorded.

If some decently professional video was recorded of that show had been recorded and synced to the pro recording of the audio, I'd buy that too. And if I knew that was an option going in, I'd put my cell phone down. After a concert, I like to show people the awesome things I saw--so either I have to do it, I have to rely on others to do it, or the band could provide it.

It doesn't have to have the production value of a home video release. The feed that goes to the large screens could be saved and mixed with the audio recording or a couple guys with tripods and iPhones could record each night. One extra guy on tour could edit the footage on a daily basis and make his money back in sales. Hell, you could include access to it in the ticket price.

Some friends and I are barely visible in some footage included on the DVD that came with STP's Thank You album. Pretty sure all of us have shown the footage to everyone we know--and the quality is pretty shitty.

How many of us would pay $5-10 more per ticket to have access to an album and video of the concert we attended? I sure would. And I could leave my cell phone in my pocket.

I went to a taping of the season 6 finale of Californication. It was at the Greek Theater, and in between takes, Tim Minchin and the band on stage played a beautiful rendition of Leonard Cohen's (by way of John Cale, Jeff Buckley, and Rufus Wainwright) "Hallelujah," and I am forever grateful that someone had their phone out and captured it in poor quality.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 05.04.14 at 12:09 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:12 AM
    Liked 7,891 Times in 4,615 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Eh, I don't agree with him. If he actually came at this from the perspective of "I don't see eyeballs in the audience anymore--I see camera lenses," then I could understand a lament about the 'old days.'
    Eh. the "old days' argument doesn't really mean anything to me, as what good does it do, to lament what once was? I lament the fact that we couldn't record or film concerts in the past without trying to sneak equipment in like some sort of ninja.

It may annoy lots of people that cell phones are everywhere but given the cost of these concerts and everything that goes with them, than why should anyone just leave the experience to their memory? I guarantee that had we been allowed to film concerts back in the day, the majority of us would have had our cassette players, camcorders, and Super 8 film cameras just like we see today, with cell phones, and people would have complained back then too.

I don't have any kids but I do know that most parents film every aspect of their children's upbringing. This is done for posterity and to relive those once-in-a-lifetime moments. Nobody bats an eyelash about that because it's an accepted practice. I view a concert in the same way and so there really is no good reason to pine for the old days imo.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

Speaking of little mistakes in songs, how many times have we watched 'Unchained' from the '81 Oakland show and thought it was cool? The band get playing and didn't miss a beat.

I do think that some folks do miss some things by looking thru their phone trying to record. If that's what they want to do so be it. Me, I like to see as much as I can.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Last edited by voivod; 06.03.14 at 04:39 AM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 18,163 Times in 8,977 Posts

He comes across as a douche at times, but the fucker can sing.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

Nice to know they auto-tune this show. Looks like I won't be watching.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

I loved Skid Row. I knew nothing about them until I saw them live. I went straight out and bought the CD the next day. I saw them several more times after that and they always brought it. The last time I saw the original line-up was in '95, opening for VH at Deer Creek in Indy.

I also met the band in a bar after one of their shows in Louisville (opening for Aerosmith). They were all super nice. Sebastian had about six groupies swinging from his anatomy the whole time. Great days.
    Last edited by Redfoot; 06.03.14 at 07:21 AM.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine/The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

05.16.15 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 213 Times in 135 Posts

I saw CVH three times between 1980 and 1984, and I saw the 3/4 version again in 2007 and 2012. A lot of fans like to remember CVH as being spontaneous and raw live. I'll concede the latter, but they were anything but spontaneous, especially DLR. His whole stage performance was contrived. He was Rock n' Roll cliché on steroids: spandex and assless chaps, big hair, crotch grabbing, swigging Jack Daniels, "I forgot the words". It was the same at every show--predictable.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:03 AM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Redfoot View Post
    I saw CVH three times between 1980 and 1984, and I saw the 3/4 version again in 2007 and 2012. A lot of fans like to remember CVH as being spontaneous and raw live. I'll concede the latter, but they were anything but spontaneous, especially DLR. His whole stage performance was contrived. He was Rock n' Roll cliché on steroids: spandex and assless chaps, big hair, crotch grabbing, swigging Jack Daniels, "I forgot the words". It was the same at every show--predictable.
    True, I've even heard some of his specific stories, like the one where "last night Alex bet I could jump out the window and fly" in different interviews as if it had just happened. Dave's an awesome entertainer, but he had an act and he was putting on a show. I still see people refer to the whole "I forgot the fuckin' words" thing as evidence of how spontaneous Dave was and how he was too cool to give a shit. It was just the opposite! That kind of stuff was completely orchestrated. And repeated. But again, that's no slam on Dave, he is and was a showman and is great at it. The fact that so many people didn't realize how intentional it was just proves that.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    True, I've even heard some of his specific stories, like the one where "last night Alex bet I could jump out the window and fly" in different interviews as if it had just happened. Dave's an awesome entertainer, but he had an act and he was putting on a show. I still see people refer to the whole "I forgot the fuckin' words" thing as evidence of how spontaneous Dave was and how he was too cool to give a shit. It was just the opposite! That kind of stuff was completely orchestrated. And repeated. But again, that's no slam on Dave, he is and was a showman and is great at it. The fact that so many people didn't realize how intentional it was just proves that.
    Yeah but back then, who knew they did the same schtick every night? There was no internet or youtube. You went to YOUR show and that's it. If you were lucky, you got a bootleg cassette recording of another city or something, but nothing like now where you could watch youtube clips of a show that just ended before the band gets to the hotel.

And getting back to Sebastian, while he was a great singer/frontman 20 years ago.....Bas comes across as a complete tool. I can see why Skid Row would rather play bowling alley's than tour arenas with this bozo
    Last edited by Greenpaw; 06.03.14 at 09:28 AM. Reason: SAVAGE ANIMAL!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:03 AM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post
    Yeah but back then, who knew they did the same schtick every night? There was no internet or youtube. You went to YOUR show and that's it. If you were lucky, you got a bootleg cassette recording of another city or something, but nothing like now where you could watch youtube clips of a show that just ended before the band gets to the hotel.

And getting back to Sebastian, while he was a great singer/frontman 20 years ago.....Bas comes across as a complete tool. I can see why Skid Row would rather play bowling alley's than tour arenas with this bozo
    Oh yeah, you're right, I actually had intended to add that but forgot. Youtube and the insane amount of exposure overall has changed a lot of things.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Eh. the "old days' argument doesn't really mean anything to me, as what good does it do, to lament what once was? I lament the fact that we couldn't record or film concerts in the past without trying to sneak equipment in like some sort of ninja.

It may annoy lots of people that cell phones are everywhere but given the cost of these concerts and everything that goes with them, than why should anyone just leave the experience to their memory? I guarantee that had we been allowed to film concerts back in the day, the majority of us would have had our cassette players, camcorders, and Super 8 film cameras just like we see today, with cell phones, and people would have complained back then too.

I don't have any kids but I do know that most parents film every aspect of their children's upbringing. This is done for posterity and to relive those once-in-a-lifetime moments. Nobody bats an eyelash about that because it's an accepted practice. I view a concert in the same way and so there really is no good reason to pine for the old days imo.
    Because someone holding up their goddamn phone in front of my face when I'm trying to watch the show ruins the experience that I paid for. I don't want to have to go back to YouTube and watch a shitty version of the show that I paid to see live because some ass in front of me has his iPhone screen blaring in my eyes because he wants to post a video from row 63 with everyone's drunk commentary over the top track.

Seriously, though, in a less jaded response, I understand that it was novel at the time. I think that time has passed. I see live music at least once a week out here in the Bay Area. More and more acts start off their show by asking everyone very nicely to put their phones away so that others around them can enjoy the show. It is a MUCH better experience and people are generally good about complying.